Naked and Proud Copp's Cavies Skinny Pigs

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 2:40 pm

This is the story of 9 skinny pigs that became 12, and then became 16. They then sadly became 15, then a few days later 19. I would really like to do something different with our chronicle. I want to keep it open to all of the members that now have members of our skinny family. I just have to say that we have been through so much in such a short time with this group. They have been such a blessing to my family. We have also been very lucky to have members here that have shared in the joys and pains of this group. I am still in pain over the loss of November. We went through so much with her, pregnancy and labor. The stillborn pup and the loss of tiny runty Meepit. To lose her has broken my heart. I am lucky enough to have her girls Godiva and Tiramisu to remind me of just how lucky we were to have November.

The story begins with an e-mail that I got from a young man. This young man had been breeding skinny pigs for his grandparents farm petting zoo. He was unhappy with the conditions of the skinny pigs and had been directed to me. He wanted them to retire to a good place where they would be cared for.
I concocted a scheme. I then made plans to go and pick them all up. This was in February 2011. We went that weekend on a long trip to York, PA. Road conditions were terrible. We made it to my sister’s home outside of Harrisburg. We waited the night and the next morning set out to pick them up. What we saw was so shocking. We have seen many horrible things doing this. This was by far the worst of it. Here in a basement covered with a tarp and under a heat lamp, was a wire bottomed cage full of skinny pigs. They were covered in this awful skin condition. At first, I thought it was burns from the heat lamp. We found out later it was ring worm. My attention first went to Felix. Somehow I knew right away he was to blame for all of this. That studly boar had a harem. Then we saw how very small the 1 week old babies were and poor Sylfrena. That skinny pig looked like she had the skin of an elephant!

The grandmother picked up very pregnant Medea in a way that made Drew lurch and grab her from the woman. He held her lovingly while we gathered everyone in bins. The grandfather questioned why we were not going to breed them. I explained nicely and he rolled his eyes at me and said “There is not money in that”. The conditions of the other animals was awful. I made reports to both MD and PA departments of agriculture. Nothing. So off we went getting them safely home. This is a 5 hour trip. On the way home, I had Drew sit in the back with them as I drove. Now, we get home and not five minutes later, Medea is giving birth to babies Uno(now Rose), Deuce(Now Agnes) and Midger(Now Lily). I will end here with some pictures of that first day. They are repeats of the thread in placement.

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 2:41 pm

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 2:41 pm

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Uh, I almost forgot how terrible they first looked! What a great story of saving many piggy lives that day.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 3:21 pm

OMG! Such lucky babies to live with you.

I think this is a great idea for a Chronicle : )

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Woohoo! Can't wait for more "installments". ;)

LisasHerd

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 7:57 pm

I remember this well! I knew they were coming into Landosmomma before she even got them and knew how bad they were!
I said I wanted in on helping and maybe adopting. I have adopted numerous hamsters from another friend who is friends with Lando and I helped with another rescue of 30+ pigs during a middle of the night rendezvous!!!

I am sooo glad these babies are all in great hands now!!

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 8:07 pm

Oh boy Lisasherd the Mathuen MA, 33! That was good times! I had like 4 hours of sleep and after what should have been a 9 hour trip back, was more like 14. You and Jul were helping us with impactions and ivermectin.

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 8:14 pm

This was baby Syl when we first got her.

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 8:14 pm

This is her today at almost 4 months old:

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 8:15 pm

She will have some permanent scarring and pigment discoloration from her ringworm.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 8:17 pm

She is quite the beautiful young lady now!
What a difference :)

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 8:31 pm

You did a great job with them, I'm amazed.

She looks like Lily with less fuzz. ;)

LisasHerd

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Landos, you were at least driving! Jul and I were sitting at the other rescues house, bored!! With no offers of snacks or drinks we sat there, over 4 hours til you came!! I am just glad we stopped to eat first!

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 9:00 pm

This is Syl guys and I insisted that momma let me show you before and after pictures of my bum! It is amazing the difference!

Before:

After:

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 9:06 pm

You are so amazing. I love the videos, too!

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 9:29 pm

There will be a special reservation for you in heaven. I'm sure of it.

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 11:28 pm

You guys are too kind. They were all such troopers through it all! Here is a video of Syl from today.
http://youtu.be/wV7kCt-zsME

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed May 25, 2011 11:41 pm

Awe, Syl is so cute. How could anyone not love her.

LisasHerd

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 12:17 am

Ok, Sassy has a thing! When I call her in a high pitched voice, Sassa, Frassa, Lassa, she runs around the cage popcorning like a little crazy pig!

I have to say these naked babies are the smartest I have ever seen. They picked upon their names really quick. All three (and Marnie) will look at me when I call them. Agnes and Marnie even come over to the front of the cage until they realize I have nothing for them then off they go!!
Teagan is my baby. She is very petite and calm. She will just snuggle up and fall asleep within minutes. Sas and Agnes scream til I let them down!

342 posts