Things That Go Wheek In the Night: C M'S Picture Chronicle

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 12:30 am

Awhile back I started a journal for my cavies, but when we experienced our first loss of a cavy, an elderly girl we rescued who came to us with many health problems (a large and long-infected abscess, gas buildup/bloat, bladder stones) whom we fought so hard to save, I found it difficult to keep writing on it. But now I think it may actually help to focus on the cavies that are still with us. Later, after my heart heals some more from our most recent goodbye, I will dedicate a section to the ones who have passed because they deserve to be in this Chronicle as well.

Without further ado, here is the current cavy clan (listed in order of when we adopted/took them in).

Cinnabun, our first cavy. We adopted her from the Oregon shelter when we found out the rats they had listed on Petfinder had already been adopted (my fiance had been wanting a pair of female rats). I sat on a chair while waiting for them to see if they had any that hadn't been put out in their adoption cages yet, and a little animal poked her face out at me through the bars squeaking happily. We read how she had been dumped by someone who's child lost interest in her after having had her since birth then for the next three years. We fell in love immediately, and she started us on cavies. Cinnabun loves people, always giving kisses/grooming us.

Alistair, our first boar. I wasn't looking to get any more cavies but I found out about Alistair, who's petfinder picture made him look like he was on death's door. He looked so sad so we went to Oregon again to check him out. As it turned out, Alistair had come in with his brother who was adopted without him because he (Alistair) "wasn't very cute" according to a shelter staff member since he'd come in with very severe mites. He is extremely mellow and the worst I've seen him do is rumble at another cavy, he rarely is the first to rumble and tries to avoid conflict. He just adores my fiance, but seems to like me too because he will happy squeak for me when I talk to him while petting him.

James was our first special needs cavy. He was dumped at the same shelter by a crappy breeder who dumped a lot of sick, genetically unsound, a few middle aged, and an elderly cavy on the Oregon shelter/humane society. He wasn't fed vegetables or much hay except limited alfalfa and has impaction issues. He is still quite shy but will make happy squeaks while being petted if he can be hidden under some fleece; we try not to over handle him since he still shakes fearfully when being petted sometimes.

Phantom

We found Phantom via a Craigslist ad. He was purchased by someone else for the former mom's child at the nearest Pet"Smart" but the child lost interest and the mom who worked full time didn't feel he was getting enough attention or out of cage time, with an hour a day of floor time after work. She followed Pet"smart" 's advice and fed him NutriPhase pellets, alfalfa, and kept him in an aquarium (it looked to be about a 15 gallon). The Pet"smart" had also told her Phantom was female (surprise, surprise). She did give him a wide variety of good leafy greens and other vegetables though, and was really wanting him to get a good home. Phantom is adventurous and seems very happy, he is very vocal about his happiness going around the cage squeaking/"clucking" happily as I clean the cage, put in fresh hay/pellets, or as he's pushing hay dishes around.

Luna is the cavy I was given as a birthday present. She came to me tiny and afraid of most everything. With time and a cagemate she became less afraid. She was an extremely active baby and pubescent cavy, doing zoomies around the cage, following her friend all over, pop corning around. Although we tried she never seemed to enjoy floor time (just ran and hid). As adult she has become quite lazy but has no symptoms of heart problems. She will occasionally do zoomies through and around the hiding box, especially after I take it out for awhile to clean then put it back in. Like Phantom, she also likes to go around making happy squeaks and "clucks" while I'm cleaning her cage, getting her more hay or some pellets (which are limited for her because she needs to lose some weight), and around the hiding box.

Tiny baby Luna (fiance holding her and while he does have large guy hands, she was still very small)

Big beefy adult Luna

worldangel

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 12:58 am

How adorable! You have done so much for them :)

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 1:07 am

Just so everyone knows, the outdoor pics are just Spring or early summer (not too hot) grazing under a closed pet store cage lid. All of them live indoors but weather permitting get to come out supervised under the cage lid to have some fresh untreated grass in the parts the feral cats don't go in the back yard.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 8:42 am

The last picture of Luna is just gorgeous!!!
They are lucky pigs to have found a nice home.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 9:36 am

The babies are adorable and I love the title of your thread! : )

clairey

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Alistair not very cute?! Were those people blind? He's one of my GL favourites.

serelixyue

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 1:44 pm

oh wow, Luna is a gorgeous gorgeous abby!

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 1:47 pm

What beautiful piggies you have! Luna and Alistair are my favorites. :)

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 2:07 pm

Oh, absolutely adorable!!!! ♥

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Thank you guys. Clairey, that does mean a lot coming from you, and I'm sure if he knew he'd love the praise. Here is a mini picture chronicle of Alistair; from his pet finder picture, his first day home, to his current luxurious locks of "hair" (which will soon be trimmed very short as summer approaches).

Alistair's Petfinder/Shelter intake picture (still recovering from severe mite infestation he was surrendered with).

Alistair on his first day home, he'd had some time for some hair to grow back at the shelter. We thought he would be a smooth coat mix since his coat and crest was not very long at all.

Alistair now; the crest is tussled hear but trust me we have to clip it to keep it out his eyes so he can see, it gets very long.

clairey

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Wow, he was a sorrowful looking wee soul in the first pic. Look at him now though, what a shiny mop! Watch out for Momo coming to pignap him, you know what she's like about mop-pigs. ;) I remember seeing photos when you got him, I've always loved that white stripe.

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Aww, he just has buckets and buckets of cuteness! I love his hair, I bet that adds a whole pound to his weight. ;)

He does look very distinguished with his single white stripe.