Guinea Pig Math Schimpf Style.

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:47 pm

I am happy for Reko, he deserves to be happy; he is going to be one busy man with two young wives.

I must say that Romeo, Mojo, and Aolani are adorable; Aolani has grown so much in a short time, she has become a beautiful little lady!

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:21 am

Oh she's grown all right, I've never met a 6 month old guinea pig weight almost 900gs!

Breadfan4

Post   » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:06 pm

I have a soft spot for both Aolani and Reko - glad to see all the piggies doing so well!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Such lovely piggies!

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:35 pm

I started a blog last month called the Guinea Pig Whisperer. The reason I am mentioning this is because I am having a contest and I know Reko has a lot of fans here. You can check out the contest here: http://guineapigwhisperer.blogspot.ca/2 ... -time.html

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Sat May 04, 2013 9:44 pm

Wanted to do a small update on my current cages:
Top cage:
Mojo's Cage.
Lone male.

Second Cage:
Romeo and Aolani's cage.
Neuter male and female couple.

Both: cage size 24" by 48" (8 sq ft)

Bottom:
Reko, Thora and Satu's Cage
Neutered Male, two sow Trio
Cage size 36"x48" (12 sq ft)

The whole set up:

Mojo's Cage:
Closed:

Romeo and Aolani's Cage:
Closed:

The Trio's cage:

And a super cute photo of Mojo:

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sat May 04, 2013 9:49 pm

Nice. How tall is that?
What is on the base of the top two cages? I like how the sides come down!

tashab

Post   » Sat May 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Please give Mojo extra snorgles since I can't seem to figure out how to physically get them through the internet.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Sat May 04, 2013 9:57 pm

The very top of the wood is 6 feet tall, I need a chair to clean it but I can reach across it no problem (I should add I can just reach the other side LOL). The base is nothing but wood, I change the cages every 3-4 days and with high traffic areas (ie where they sleep most, under the hay rack and under water bottle areas) I either use pads with uhaul in them or add more uhual under the main cage line/fleece uhaul combo. Have had no issues at all with water reaching the bottom and we are at 6 months with this cage. :)

Tashab, will do, he loves snorgles!

Travelingirl916

Post   » Sun May 05, 2013 3:00 am

I like it! What are you using for the door latches, and how do the doors latch? Nice idea!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun May 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Great set-up and the way the front comes down makes alot of sense for ease of cleaning and access to the pigs.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Mon May 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Travelingirl916:

Here are some close up of the system.
These metal pieces are called EMT Straps 3/4”. The grids rest on them and it does leave a 1.5" gap on the sides but nothing an adult can get out. Mojo's cage it just tied closed with some 2" fleece strips.

The couple's cage has a bent grid from when the trio was in there, I liked that because I just push it into the cage and the EMT strap catches onto the grid:

I have three # 3 straps screwed into the 2x4 and this allows for me to drop open the front grids:

These are things my husband uses all the time and always ends up with pockets full of them. My original set up got "fudged up" when I didn't account for the space the 24" 2x4's supports under the base would take up, resulting it the front not opening all the way. Originally I had the grids screwed into the 2x4 with hinges under them (connected to the base), this would have allowed it to drop fully like the current grids do now, but like I said I forgot about the 24" supports under the base of the cage.

I went through the box I toss all my husbands "pocket work junk" in and came up with this idea. Its been working GREAT.

Let me know if you have any more questions.