Clash of the Titans--or, What have I gotten myself into!?

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:19 pm

Alden, I love that sound. I always give Mouse his veggies right before I sleep so I can hear him outside my door munching :)

Crrrystal

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:20 am

I should have... but I don't want them to think they run my life. I mean, they do--but they don't know it yet!

I need to take more pictures. I think I might invest in a new camera sometime very soon. My phone is slow and my camera is, well, crap. Any suggestions for a high-quality budget camera?

Either way, I'll be doing a Valentine's Day shoot with them this weekend. Should be fun! I wish I could trust them enough to have a "date" scene, but I think having hands separating them would probably ruin the mood. I did get valentines for them to send to each other... I hope they appreciate it.

Crrrystal

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:06 pm

I've had this horrible feeling that something bad was going to happen today. I figured I'd come home and find somebody knocking on death's door.

That didn't happen.

But something did happen.

You probably won't be able to guess because I no good at pitchurs, but there is definitely something wrong here. There are supposed to be two boys on this pink fleece, and I only count one.

My first thought was that somebody (Zeus) escaped and snuck in with the girls. Then I remembered that he would have to be either a mountain goat or an Olympic high jumper to get up to the girls (which is why the boys are perma-bottoms now).

So I checked every grid for damage and possible escape routes. There were none.

Guess where he is? Here's a hint.

He managed to pull the fleece down on the right end of the cage. I guess my crazy urge to buy more binder clips the other day wasn't so crazy after all. Take that, Mommy!

After I recovered from my heart attack, I realized that it wasn't so horrible. His scampering around did manage to mess up the water bottle so the nozzle was resting on the outside of the coroplast... which drained it completely and left a wet spot on my carpet.

Since my phone's battery was gone and I wanted pictures right away, I dug out my camera for those. Then I found the settings and realized that I had it on a very low resolution... so I upped it. Maybe now I can take nicer pictures maybe?

^ Here is my GOOD boy wondering why, oh why, hasn't mommy fed me yet. Well, Apollo, YOU will get an extra piece of cilantro tonight because YOU were a good boy and stayed ABOVE the fleece.

^ And here is the troublemaker.

I stuck my nose (not pictured) through the grids and got kisses from Cali. I couldn't take a picture, though, so I tried again with my finger. Nope, I got nibbles, not kisses.

And I just happened to have pro timing on this one.

AND no sooner did I joke about mountain goat-pigs...

Literally. As I was typing "mountain goat" Cali jumped on top of that house. Which shifted it to be half off the pad, which is why it's leaning.

I better go feed these scamps. Now that I figured my camera out (after... 4? years...) I'll probably keep taking pictures tonight. So watch out, there's more to come!

Just noticed the colors are off. My hay isn't that yellow, and the brown beans are, um, browner. Blame poor lighting and... whatever else could cause it.

tashab

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:10 pm

Every time I read stories like this about naughty boys (or the Boys Behaving Badly thread) I'm greatful for my girls. I'm glad he didn't escape on you though!

The Canon Powershot series is a good, basic digital camera. I've found it hard to really screw up photos with mine, and I think a couple other GL members use them too.

Crrrystal

Post   » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:57 am

Oh my goodness, I am glad, too!

It's funny how rotten Zeus is, especially compared to the Princesses. Boars Behaving Badly scares me.

I just found this picture on the Book.
Apollo is the one sticking out, and Zeus is in the middle of the set of three. Crazy how much they've grown! If memory works, the mostly white one is now Bacon and the mostly-black is Skunky (aptly named by a seven-year-old). Both Bacon and Skunky have rosettes on their fur-heads, as do furmom and furdad (Hester and Brady from earlier posts). Apollo and Zeus do not.

Ah, nostalgia!

Crrrystal

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:06 am

SO! I get home from work, make salads, the usual. Then I go upstairs and something is wrong. Again.

Bad little boy 1.

Bad little boy 2.

Solution: 24 shiny new binder clips, just purchased today. No, I'm not a psychic (as far as I know), I just have come to value the utility of this common paper-holding apparatus. Also, they're cheap as heck and I wanted to have spares just for occasions such as this.

Are they rebelling because I took out the loft? That's my take. They'll get it back as soon as I get a promise that they won't make deposits under it. It's tough to clean under there. In the meantime, I'll binder-clip some corner tents up and they can deal with it.

Sidera17

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:08 am

It could be because they have nothing to hide under. See if you can drape a cloth over the edge.

Crrrystal

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:29 am

That's the plan. They liked draped things when they were smaller, but more recent attempts led to them pulling the drapes off the wall, laying on top of them, or bickering.

Brainerror

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:26 am

I'm glad I can just leave fleece unclipped and my girls aren't even interested in burrowing under it :) boars seem a real challenge!

Amy265

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:40 am

My girls love to burrow. It makes me crazy! I use the heavier items in the cage to hold down my fleece in the corners and edges. I have to use some bricks also. Which the girls don't really mind. At the moment one is using a brick as a pillow... Silly pig!

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 am

Cali looks guilty, haha!

Crrrystal

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:58 am

She DOES look guilty! It's so funny how they know when they're being naughty.

The girls haven't burrowed at all, but they HAVE flipped the corner of the liners open in the litter box. They seem to do it when they want my attention. I added some makeshift tents to the boys' cage last night. They seemed very confused, but agreed to investigate them.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:27 pm

I betcha the inventor of them clips never had thought one day them contraptions would be used to ward off naughty fleece tunneling boy wheekities! :p

Crrrystal

Post   » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:05 am

The 16 binder clips I ended up using for the boys, combined with corner tents, seems to have done the trick.

Is it strange that I get *almost* as excited about getting new fleece and fabric for my "projects" as spending time with my babies? I'm going fleece shopping today. Probably for both cages. Which will cost a lot. I looked at Walmart last night, but didn't find anything cute enough to buy.

I decided that the girls like Hello Kitty, just like momo's adorable little furballs. And the boys like Toy Story... which came about because I work with a little boy who is completely obsessed[/i] with Buzz Lightyear. It's cute--he's 2, so he always says "Buh-yai!"

On a more related note, I saw the CUTEST Hello Kitty fabric the other day, so I bought it and decided to fashion some hay-holders based on Jen's hay trough. I wanted to see if they would work before buying one... and now I'll be buying one for the girls. The boys are suspicious of anything that holds hay. They continue to rip all of the hay out and drag it around their cage. They'll get a Windespirit hammock instead.

Why is it that the boys are such troublemakers? They're the ones that always cause mommy headaches. [/url]

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:27 am

I have a very serious burrowing problem.

Earlier solutions included fleece tents in the corners and adding more binder clips (16 total). Mr. Apollo was STILL found under the fleece today. Unless they really can teleport, he must've gone through the itty bitty opening that I found right in the corner of the coroplast... where the binder clips are about 1" apart. I'm going to try making free-standing tents to add to their place today as a supplement to the corners, and move onto a paving stone if that doesn't work.

The worst part is that he will NOT come out. Guess cage change will come a day early this week!

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:18 am

Guess what I got today?

No, not more furkids.

Not toys or hideys or anything "cool" like that.

I got my order from KMS! BFF agreed to split an order with me, so a couple weeks and $80 later, 25 pounds each of bluegrass and timothy pellets were coming to my house. They arrived today.

I know the quality of the hay was going to be amazing, but I forgot how good it looks and smells. The pellets were completely new to me (I've ordered from Sweet Meadows before, but waited until a hay order to get pellets from KM). I was more than excited to see a milled date. I was completely ecstatic to see that the mill date was 2-1-12... exactly 15 days ago. I placed the order on the 11th, when my pellets were only 10 days old. They look and smell SO good! I'm tempted to eat a pellet.

I then spent about an hour dividing and repacking everything. There are 11 one-pound baggies of pellets in the freezer, 12.5 pounds sitting out for delivery to BFF, and 25 pounds of hay sitting in various boxes and bags in the kitchen. I need to find more boxes tomorrow.

Have I completely lost my mind now? Excited about kibble and grass...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:03 am

I actually HAVE eaten pellets! That's how I noticed Oxbow's were saltier (see if you agree ;-).

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:44 am

Challenge accepted, Lynx!

(Note: I compared KMS Timothy Pellets with Oxbow Cavy Performance because that's what I saw in my freezer, so it's apples and oranges. The Oxbow I have is also older, I'm sure, so that probably affected the results.)

Texture: Oxbow reminds me of the cheap generic Tums. They made my mouth feel a little chalky. KMS turned out to be very tender. Took a lot less effort to chew. It kind of reminded me of Kashi Go Lean cereal, in a way... which is a cereal I'm not a fan of. (But Go Lean Crunch is excellent.)

Taste: Oxbow did indeed taste a bit saltier. They also smell saltier, I think. Other than that, they were pretty tasteless (which probably doesn't help the feeling that I'm chewing up medicine or dirt). They weren't *that* bad, but not great. KMS tasted like fresh grass hay. It actually wasn't that bad.

Don't know if I want to make a habit of this, but maybe with some honey...

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:37 am

Ouiser finally stopped burrowing when I took a strip of leftover fleece and pinned it across the cage such that it almost rested on the floor. I think she FELT like she was burrowing, but it was way less effort. And then everyone was happy.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:34 am

I had a sow, Floopy, who just loved being a fleece miner. Being a large Rex (and I mean she was huuuuuge for a girl), only concrete tiles on the fleece did the trick, as she had enough strength to undo each and every other item I tried to keep the fleece in place.

106 posts