Clash of the Titans--or, What have I gotten myself into!?

Crrrystal

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:02 am

It has been FAR TOO LONG with no updates. I'll do that tomorrow.

The fleece burrowing has basically stopped now. I added a half-loft AND a low corner tent AND a pigloo (I know, not a smart move, but it's worked so far. They seem to like pushing it around more than being inside of it). I cut back on clipping after the last fleece change and it has continued to hold so far.

Something I learned: there is a reason that cages have "lips" on the floors, even when there is no traditional bedding to scatter. I made the mistake of having the lofts sans-walls for a few weeks. When I pulled the coroplast out to vacuum underneath, I found a rather large pile of poops between my grids and a shelf thing I have nearby. And by "rather large" I mean it looked like about 3-4 days of poo from both of my cages combined. I should have taken a picture, but I think I was in shock a little bit.

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:30 am

After tonight's cleaning, I decided to take some more pig-tures. There really is no rhyme or reason to this. My thought process was: "OMG gurls r stand pretties! Boys hide. I like girl!" (because I've had caveman-brains for a while now.)

Also, I'm experimenting with Picasa instead of Imageshack. I tried putting my imageshack'd images into albums, but that was too dang frustrating. So I started over with synced albums in Picasa! If these end up disappearing, I can always toss them back on imageshack and repost.

Coco has been my little lover for the last couple days. She's also just been looking a lot sweeter in general.

Cali has been hungrier than normal. If that's even possible.

Zeus is still Big Man on Campus (or so he thinks!). Isn't that a neat angle? Ignore the haybits.

I keep thinking of Apollo as a real simpleton. He's gonna surprise me one of these days and start talking or doing calculus or something.

Whoa, the flash went wonky on that last one! Most of those white spots aren't really there. For real. And I had absolutely NO idea the curtains were that furry...

And now some more pictures of pretty Coco!
"What are you doin', mommy? Is that eats?"

"Is this my good side? I think so!"

"Well, I *would* share, but you didn't give me enough to do that."

I think I underestimated my hay needs. They eat so much more bluegrass than they ever did when I got Oxbow timmy hay.

Apollo is now tipping to scale at 1001g. I made a comment to my mom after that last weight check. "Hey mom! Apollo weighs a kilogram now! Know how much that is? It's, like, more than 2 pounds of hamburger!" because, ya know, we all know what one pound of hamburger weighs, but can't imagine pound-units of any other material.

Crrrystal

Post   » Wed May 02, 2012 12:36 pm

Two months since my last update? No way!

I assure you that my herds are still alive and well. And just a-rumblin' as always.

I did decide that the girls needed more formal names, and I'll follow up with a proper introduction to them sometime soon.

Crrrystal

Post   » Sat May 05, 2012 9:06 am

Non-update.

I had a bizarre dream last night involving my pigs.

(Cutting to the chase...) They were in their non-dreamland cages and I had taken the front grids off of the boys' cage for easier cleaning. I was in the middle of sweeping when I saw this strange rat or mouse-like critter hanging out in the towels that I keep by the cage. I don't know what it was; it was a rodent, I'm sure, but didn't look like anything that I've ever seen before. It was a bit smaller than a g-pig, but bigger than a smallish rat. I had to walk away for something and came back to the cage a few minutes later to find that the new rodent had kicked the boys out of their cage and they were wandering around. I was concerned, and I asked Zeus what happened. He didn't tell me. I told him that mommy would get rid of the new guest and started to go grab some leather gloves so that it wouldn't bite me. Then the boys jumped over the coroplast back into their cage and rushed at the new rodent. Zeus tackled it and then caught it by the throat in mid-air. He shook it like a dog playing with a toy and then the thing was dead. Zeus threw it out of the cage, it landed at my feet, and the last thing I saw before I woke up was my baby Zu-zu with blood trickling down his chest from biting this thing.

I guess my pigs are better mousers than my cat. Weird.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sat May 05, 2012 12:00 pm

Your cavies are so beautiful.

That is really horrifying and strange, I wonder what that creature was. I would keep a very close eye on them, hopefully whatever the other animal was did not carry any disease.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed May 09, 2012 3:05 am

Oh, I missed those last lovely pics!

Crrrystal

Post   » Wed May 09, 2012 9:41 pm

CM - No kidding! I've been having really freakish dreams lately (clients coming out to me, having bizarre objects stolen, and this odd rodent). I'm starting to wonder if I'm crazy.

Pic post coming up.

Crrrystal

Post   » Wed May 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Item acquired: organic cilantro.

During a hunting & gathering party (i.e., massive shopping spree) with BFF, we decided to go to the food co-op in the city. It's not my first encounter with organic chow, but it was definitely my most happy. Among other things, I found organic cilantro and dandelion greens. I've been looking for dandy-greens for a while now.

Unfortunately, I don't have pics of my herds munching the dandies.

But they loved the 'lantros.
(The pic of the girls is too blurred to share, but they loved it. Trust me.)

I got home from work early tonight, so I decided it was time for a photo shoot. I had a few small props that I picked up for various past pictures that never happened, so I figured I'd employ them for the evening.

Zeus: I'm not impressed by your stupid objects.

... but this one glows!

Looks like a bee to me. I think it's going to sting you. Can I have your stuff?

I didn't catch these. Don't let that crazy person fool you.

Whatcha got there, Coke? Is it for me?

This is where things started to go south...

This vinyl tablecloth is cheap and unappealing!

Here. Let me help you get rid of it.

Whacha doin', Coke? Are you eating something? I want to eat something! Can I help eat it? What does it taste like? Is it yummy? Does it taste like cucumber? Or blueberries? It kinda looks like blueberries. It's blueberries, isn't it? Why don't we ever get blueberries?

(Sometimes I imagine that Cali spazzes out about food. More than a normal girl should.)

Free to good home: one bushel of naughty guinea girls.

Cali always has that "I'm so sweet, can I have reward foods??" look about her. Coco usually glares.

OH! Their formal names are now Calimine and Coco Butter. (Yes, I'm aware of the misspelling. I want it that way.)

I was getting ready to return the girls to their rooms when they started to squirm. Violently. I tried to get a picture of this, but my phone was too slow and my camera died after the first picture (which was too blurry and washed out to share).

If you couldn't tell, they were fighting over the tag on the scrap of fleece blankey that I threw in the bottom of the bucket. It was kind of funny, really. Every time Coco tugged, Cali would get frustrated because Coke was jerking the fleece out from under her. And Coco was getting mad because Cali was standing on the delicious fleece. There was no end in sight, so I just plopped them back in the cage.

Then Coco bolted into her hut, still dragging the fleece by the tag.
(I took it out, but was laughing too hard to use sharp things to cut the tag off.)

Crrrystal

Post   » Mon May 21, 2012 12:23 am

We have sleepers. Someone wore herself out munching tonight's cilantro and apple wedges.

I bought a couple of those microfiber dust mitts today. I think I need to get a couple more, since the two I bought were claimed. Hard.

On another note, we haven't had apples around here in a long time... probably because they're only used for feeding pigs and I throw most of it out when they get apple. My mom was very confused until I told her they don't get apple very often and they can't have much of it each time.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon May 21, 2012 1:01 am

Aww. Lookit sleeping beauty!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon May 21, 2012 1:59 am

Yes, those dust mitts are popular with my girls too. They absorb pee quite well but after washing take a while to dry out. I have a huge stack of them.

Crrrystal

Post   » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:12 am

Guess wfhadt today is! Miss Calamine Mae and Coco Butter Ruth are 2 today!

Actually, its just an arbitrary day I chose to call their birthday. They were "about" 1 and a half in November/December when I first saw them on the rescue's Facebook page.

Unfortunately I have to work today so I can't do a big celebration, but I should have time to get them a gift. Maybe new fleece? I've been wanting to retire some of the older cage blankets I have anyway...

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:02 pm

Happy 2nd birthday girls. I'm sure you got some lovely yum yums.

Crrrystal

Post   » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:35 am

The girls asked me to say, "Thank you very much, dear GP, for your kind birthday wishes." on their behalf.

I think they pretty much made out tonight. New fleece (Hello Kitty, even!), towels, and a brand new fuzzy dust mitt. AND very special dinners for everyone (including the binky bunny who has no idea what the occasion is)--red leaf, cilantro, red pepper, baby carrots, AND apples (just a taste for everyone on the last two). It's rare that they get more than 2 types of veggie per day because I'm a horrible mom.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:12 am

Lovely sleeper!

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:13 am

I mentioned that the girlies celebrated their 2nd birthday earlier this week. This was their present:

New fleece and a new purple dusterbed! I can't really say for sure, but I think they like this fleece. They seem to be keeping it a lot cleaner than they normally do. This was after about 3 days of use.

This was a big week. In addition to the birthday, we also had manicures and I got to do them all by myself (I used the scissor-like clippers instead of human clippers. They were easier to manipulate one-handed). Our new pellets and hay arrived today. I also got something else, but it isn't pig-related. Technically, I've had this thing for about 3 weeks, but it is now mine.

Ignore the hay mess and stray bun poops. I was fostering Julia for the rescue where Cali and Coco stayed, and I'm in lurve with her. My adoption will be official on Monday, but was approved today.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:38 am

Congrats on your new bun, Julia. She is a doll. I have been following your updates on her in the General section. The pressies for the girls are lovely - that's a lovely purple shade for the dust mitt bed and wait til Momo sees your Hello Kitty fleece. I'm no Hello Kitty fan but I still like how bright and cheery the colours are.

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks, GP! When I picked that out, my first thought was about Momo. My second thought was my niece, who also really likes Hello Kitty and got a HK microwave and hand mixer for graduation. For some reason, I decided some time ago that the girls love Hello Kitty and the boys like Toy Story (even though I have no particular fondness of either myself). I do like the bright colors though, and it was on sale. I even have an extra yard or so because I just bought the remainder of the bolt!

We had a little party this morning with breakfast to celebrate Miss Julia's adoption. I think I probably anthropomorphize a little too much. I walked around this morning talking about how excited Cali was to be getting a cousinbun and how Julia probably feels like she can get attached to me because she isn't going anywhere. I think my mom thinks I'm crazy :/

(I just noticed the crazy typo a few posts up. Sorry!)

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Hello Kitty fleece you say!
Uh... you have most wonderful taste in fleece selection! :)
Momo approves this fleece, I want i want! :)

And happy adoption!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:24 am

Happy adoption! Cute fleece!

106 posts