Clash of the Titans--or, What have I gotten myself into!?

Crrrystal

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:56 am

Thanks, momo & pigjes!

I'm hoping that the boys will be getting cute new fleece in a week or so. I feel bad making them wait until August for their birthday!

Misscavylove

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:42 am

Congrats on the new bun!! She is SO adorable! I am in love <3

Crrrystal

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:43 am

Crrrystal

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:46 pm

Guess what today is?

That's right! Apollo and Zeus are now a whole year old! It's been a pretty interesting year between the butt cleanings, hay messes, building cages, veggie chopping, and (of course) the adolescent boarliness that's been happening. I think they've started to calm down now and they're really starting to get comfortable (though they still fear The Hand). Their personalities have really shown in the last couple of weeks and, really, I don't think I could ask for a better, sweeter pair of boypigs.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:12 am

Happy 1st birthday Apollo & Zeus. That looked like one yummy birthday salad.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:34 am

Happy Birthday, Apollo and Zeus, from me and the girls.

serelixyue

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:42 am

Happy Birthday!

Misscavylove

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Happy Birthday!

Crrrystal

Post   » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:41 pm

'Pollo and Zuzu say thanks for the birthday wishes!

Crrrystal

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:16 am

I think Apollo's back leg/legs might be injured. He is still able to use them, but it looks like he has a slight limp. I checked him over last night and couldn't see any obvious signs of injury anywhere, range of motion seemed okay, and I didn't notice any swelling or inflammation. He responded as he always has to food, his poops were normal (I was lucky enough to see one coming out...), breathing was regular, he's drinking, weight is consistent, etc. His change in stride is so small that I thought I was making it up several times. I went through just about every medical problem in the guide last night and I didn't see any other symptoms.

Then I noticed that Zeus was ruthlessly humping him every couple minutes. It went on for maybe half an hour, then stopped.

Do you think that he might just be sore or tired from Zeus's advances? He seemed utterly relieved when I took him out last night. I think I'm going to call and try to get an appointment at the closest vet, but it might take a couple days to get in. Would this be considered an emergency? Do I need to separate them?

I thought their boarly humping-everything-they-can days should be over by now :/ It's been a couple months since the last outbreak of obnoxious teenage behavior, so this was totally unexpected.

KaileighRussell

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:04 am

It sounds like the boys might need a little bit of a vacation! I have two girls who are currently in puberty, they can't stand to be apart from each other but still try to lynch each other when they're together.

Also, you're cavy chronicles have made me laugh my head off and totally want to adopt more if these fantastic critters, even though I hardly have the space.

Good luck with the I'm-a-super-horny-boarly-boar times! It sounds like you might need it :(

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:02 am

So, a couple weeks ago, I posted about Apollo having some kind of injury or something wrong. A couple hours after that, he was acting normally again and continued to act normally until Monday night, when he started half-hopping with his back legs again. I did the normal inspection--legs, feet, and testes looked okay. Then I decided that it wouldn't hurt to grab those couple pieces of hay stuck to his bottom.

And then I found a pretty large impaction. I thought about taking pictures, but I didn't. There was a smaller amount on Tuesday night, and I couldn't see any last night and he is now passing normal beans.

I'm really confused about what caused it, unless last night and today are just a fluke and he's having muscle tone/strength issues. I'll keep up the daily butt checks, though. We've bonded over it and I think he loves me now.

Zeus's humpage has subsided (for now) and the boys are getting along splendidly. The girls... well, they're divas.

Also--thanks, Kaileigh!