There's a Mouse in the House!

Breadfan4

Post   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:18 pm

Love the leg - lazy Saturday is right. Always good to see an update on your boys!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:23 pm

I love the cashew with a leg.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:59 pm

Does anyone's pigs do the fluffy sit when cold? My apartment got down to 62 today, usually is at 70. Oliver was fluffy when I came home, he didn't looh uncomfortable, just fluffy and somewhat cold. As soon as I flipped on the light and the heater, he started eating hay and running around. Weight is stable. Thoughts?

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:34 am

Mentally, I always associate fluffy with sick. But occasionally they fluff up, scare the crap out of me, and turn out to just be having bad hair days. Keep an eye out?

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:51 am

I'm keeping close watch, weighing twice a daY. So far tonight I keep peeking in and he's a non fluffy cashew or eating.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:22 am

Well, that sounds promising.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:56 am

Going to bed, with my flashlight, so I can keep peeking in. So far just eating and begging for greens. Weight is steady.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:20 pm

Drape some fleece over a corner or over half of a plastic stool. My pigs used to like crawling under the fleece, which was then like a blanket that kept them warm.

I think of puffed up as ill too.

JoePig

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:59 pm

Yes, my first pig did "the fluffy sit" when the room was cold. We accidentally let the room he was in get too cold when we were moving into a new place. I found him sitting in the middle of his pen; looking out into the room; very bunched up and puffed up. We immediately brought him to a warmer room and he soon relaxed and was usual self.

My room mate drew a crude picture of a guinea pig as a thermometer. With "puffball" for cold and slowly stretching out to "space shuttle" as hot. (The last frame was the funniest; it was for "feed the thermometer" and had drawn a stick guinea pig rearing up and begging for food.)

I have also had pigs do the fluffy sit when they are sick. The differences seem to be that the room does not seem cold to me and the pig wants to face into a corner.

I think you are doing the right thing with keeping a watch on him.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:59 pm

We had no more incidence of puffed-upness last night. Will continue to watch. I may be a bit overreactive at times.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:02 pm

A tiny dose of pictures.

Oliver, looking comfy while napping with Waddles.
His black eyeliner makes him look so innocent. :)

Ace, hanging out near the kitchen, as usual.

And, for good measure, Oliver's weight chart. Since his "fluffy-sit" was called into question last night. :) Nothing too alarming here, to me. You can see when I got concerned a couple days ago, and started weighing twice a day.

Breadfan4

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:42 pm

My girls all do the fluffy sit when cold. I actually use them more than my thermometer - under 68 is too cold, 68-70 is ok and above 70 is preferred (and I'm not sure if those are the "real" temperatures, just what my thermometer tells me it is). I definitely worried the first time I saw it too..