There's a Mouse in the House!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:02 pm

Mouse is very very upset with me, after his visit with the doctor today.
Dr. J said it was "quite the rodeo" getting him xrayed and I'm not surprised. :)
Apparently he didn't want cooperate as well as "most" pigs lol.
For the full update, check out his med thread!

viewtopic.php?t=64338&start=20

Sorry if the link is long, I'm on a not so cooperative mobile device. :)

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:22 pm

Mouse here! Today, a big changed happened. Here I was snoozing away, taking my afternoon nap and BAM! I get taken from my cage. This is too early for floor time, I'm thinking! What's going on, Mom?

Later, when floor time was over, and I went back to my house. But, what is this?! No crunchy aspen? What IS this fuzziness under my feet?

Mom switched my cage to fleece! It's fuzzy and nice and soft to nap on. I already broke it in with poo!

And I have a towel tent to hide under! I love it. I don't even sleep in my cozy beds, just under the tent. Can you find me?

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:41 am

Very nice setup. and the green looks like nice soft fuzzy grass. Lucky Mouse!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:21 pm

Wait till you see the new development in Mouse's house!! A new cozy place to sleep..

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:30 am

New bed! As consolation after I took away his plastic pigloo. :-/

Snacktime!

Naptime :)

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Aww, Mouse is such a cute little guy.

Make sure you give that fleece a good poop and pee on, to make sure it's good enough for you Mouse!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:49 pm

I like the ventilation his new sleeping digs give him. Looks like he approves as well.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Mousey, your new and improved cage looks awesome!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Thanks, guys! I waited until HE decided where he wanted to sleep, and put it there. He has definitely taken to it. A half yard to fleece gives me one canopy and two "beds" double thickness.

ETA: Jaycey, he definitely took your advice!!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Ack! Mouse has done the unthinkable, and picked himself up a URI. If you notice in the last picture, his eyes look a bit watery. He is also sneezing, and at times looks a little ruffled. :(
The good news is he is eating, still wheeking for veggies, and maintaining his weight. He is starting a course of Bactrim when I go pick it up at the pharmacy after work tonight.
He is also being supplemented with extra vitamin C and Acidophilus, as he has had softer poos yesterday and today.

Have any of you had good luck with Bactrim and URIs?
I am very worried about my little boy. :(

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Aww, I hope you feel better soon.

My vet over here in the UK won't give me Bactrim so I've never tried it, but I've heard good things about it.

It's great that you noticed it early, and even better news that he's still eating and feeling fine in himself.

Sometimes I've found that it can take a little bit longer than the 7 days my vet says that a URI takes to get out of their system, so he might need a few weeks on the Bactrim.

I'm sure he'll be fine, with the extra Vit C and probiotics you're looking after him brilliantly.

JadeMagpie

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:12 pm

You've probably already started a medical thread (but if you haven't, you may find it helpful) -- but I'll say this:

Each URI is different. Bactrim is a good starting place. When my pigs had a URI, it was more along the lines of what Jaycey describes. It lasted a lot longer. The URI was resistant to Bactrim, so I had to try Baytril - Eventually I was on a Baytril AND Doxy both, and we were on ABs for months.

Burr now is much more sensitive to hay dust and other things and sometimes sounds quite hoarse. I'd make sure I saw a great exotics vet, and stay on top of the ABs -- if you aren't noticing improvement per your vets recommendation, you may need to switch medications, etc.

The Antibiotics page and the Vet page helped me a lot during their monster URI. Hopefully yours is much easier to treat! Make sure you go home with some probiotics too!