There's a Mouse in the House!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:09 am

He's lovely. Have they been introduced. Hoping he and Ace get along.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:43 am

They have not been introduced - since he is from a general sheltwer, not a gp rescue, he is in 2-3 weeks of quarantine.

Brainerror

Post   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:47 am

Handsome boy! my new pig Truffle gave me the same worry, but she's a very messy drinker and eats well.

serelixyue

Post   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:01 pm

Oh gosh, I love that little crest. *plants a kiss*

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:06 pm

His name is Oliver! He is probably the friendliest pig I have ever owned. He definately knows what the fridge is, and what a crinkling bag means! He mowed through his lettuce tonight in about 3 minutes flat, but is unsure of peppers. He is noisy and adorable. Ace says hello too. He has no idea what he's in for in a couple weeks :)

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:45 am

Aw, what a cute little boy! Congrats on your new addition. I love how Oliver and Ace both have a white nose stripe in a brown face.

Don't blame you for worrying, either, with what you've been through recently. It is so easy to become hypersensitive with these critters when you lose one. Hope everything goes smoothly with Oliver and Ace.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 am

This is directly after eating his morning greens and taking a trip to the water bottle... I feel like I have seen pics like this from other pigs too, and they were fine. Thoughts?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:29 am

My two look worse, as their chin hair is white.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Alice has long chin hair and I can't get it white anymore. Looks good to me. :)

clairey

Post   » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:26 pm

That would just indicate particularly nice greens and a hungry pig to me. Stephen is dark so I can't see it clearly, but he tends to be soggy around the chops after a good feed. Who knew lettuce can be so juicy?

If his water bottle technique bothers you, I had some success in keeping Bobs' cheeks dry by using a water bottle like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001MZWSDE/ref=twister_B00GHKVR4K Sadly, he used the spout on that to file his front teeth and freak me out so we're back to a soggy cheek every so often.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks for the reassurance! He demolished his pellets and mpsmost of his hay today, so he seems to be eating fine.

Is there any way to ballpark their age? Im not looking for exact, just estimate. The shelter told me 8 months, but they only go by what the surrender family tells them.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:50 pm

I look at how sharp and pointy vs. thick and curved their nails are. The ears tend to lay flatter against the head as they age, too. At least, that's what I've noticed in my pigs. But even then, it is hard to tell, isn't it? Especially if the pig came from substandard conditions and may be a bit behind developmentally.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:05 am

Okay, now taking guesses for apprx. age :) Not that it REALLY matters, I'm just super curious, and I guess part of me is hoping he isn't like 5 or 6. I was told by the shelter he was under 1 year.

Top view :)

Feetsies!

Ears! (and cute little face!) :)

I think his front nails look similar to Ace's - his "top" profile isn't as *ahem* WIDE as Ace's (you can see his little hips a tiny bit) but I don't know if that is age or just that he needs to be fattened up! He has gained a bit of weight each day he has been with me. :)

clairey

Post   » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:11 am

His black nails in particular do still look quite young. I think the age you've been given is probably accurate. I'd be surprised if he's over a year with those toesies. They're like Robert's were when I got him and he was going through puberty then.

edit: I love his eyeliner.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:29 am

Thanks, clairey! Like I said, I would love him the same no matter WHAT age he was, I'm already SUPER attached. He is so sweet and calm.

The family who surrendered him said he was ~ 8 months old, but I wondered if they had told them younger than actual in hopes he would get adopted.

ETA: Hopefully with a little "KM Love", his top profile will widen :) His pellet bowl is EMPTY every day, and I give him however much he wants. He is around 2# 6 oz. Ace is 2# 14 oz, and is also 8 months!! He is on a measured pellet regimen. :)

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:14 pm

Yeah, poor Oliver looks so skinny! I'm sure you'll correct that and plump up the little sausage in no time.

In this case, I think his previous owners were being truthful about his age. From the photos, I would have guessed he was around 8 or 9 months, as he has some baby pig nails AND some bigger adult boar nails on his feetsies.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:55 am

He has so far gained a little under an ounce a day. Slowly but surely!

He was chuttering at me tonight when I had him out, but my room mate's kitten was eyeballing him at the time. How rude.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:28 pm

Pics of the boys!

Someone may need to go on a diet...

Diet? But I'm so cute! Here is my good side...

Here is my other good side!

That is not me. That is a pear.

And, action shots of Oliver - he was in sniff mode, so is a bit blurry!

I'm trying not to be concerned that he is not quickly gaining weight - he has gained about 1.5 oz since I got him last Friday. I wish he would go faster. :( He has a well-pig check from my second vet on Friday. Hopefully all will be well.

There are a few things he does TOTALLY different than Ace, which I'm chalking up to normal behaviors at this point, just different personalities. He is being closely watched while in quarantine.

Love, Ace & Oliver <3

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:38 pm

You have handsome boys. My Jezabelle is also a messy veggie eater. I usually take a white paper town and wipe her chin off after she eats. She does not like it much, but I prefer to clean her up a bit.

clairey

Post   » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:30 pm

Has Ace sensed that there's another piggy somewhere yet?

684 posts