Eat Sleep Love: The Cavy Way

Jorle

Post   » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Today, like every other Monday for the last 6 months is cage cleaning day. I put the piggies in the bathroom, that is their usual play area while I spend the next hour cleaning and preparing their cages. This tedious process use to take me 2.5hrs in my old 2x6 cc cage, lets just say I learned a few short cuts since then (thank god.) Before putting the piggies back in their cage, I would always weigh them in for the week, cut their nails, and practice my barbering skills if they would let me. I would write down their current weight in my little notebook and compare it with the last numbers to make they are healthy. As I ran my finger down the numbers today, I realized that my youngest piggy Guapo has gained a wooping 73g! I looked at him and I just couldn’t hold back the tears. He’s not a baby anymore, I kept telling myself. After all I’ve been through with him, I didn’t want to accept it, I wanted him to stay my baby forever. Most importantly, I didn’t want to deal with what is to come...

After putting the piggies back into their cages, I sat in front of my computer and went through all their photos. I can’t believe it has been 6 months already. 3 months ago baby Guapo weighed 90g, now he weighs 652g. What happened? I asked myself. Flipping through the photos hoping to find more answers, I really wished that I had taken more pictures or videos, maybe even wrote down how they’ve changed my life each and every day they’ve been with me. I felt disappointed with myself, I wanted to do something about it but I didn’t know what. When my boyfriend came home, I just kept complaining about anything I could find wrong. He sat me down and we talked
about what was really bothering me. That’s when he said to me “nothing is stopping you from taking more pictures and writing about your life with the pigs if that is what you want to do. It’s not too late, why don’t you start now?” He was right but I needed a place to start, somewhere I can be held accountable for taking more pictures and writing about my piggies. The first thing I thought of was Cavy Chronicles! I know I’m not a good writer like some of the chronicle authors here, but I have something in common with them; I am very passionate about my piggies! I’ve been following some of the chronicles on this forum and have been touched by so many of the photos and stories. I want this to be the home of my own chronicle and maybe one day my stories will lighten up someone’s day like so many stories here have done for me.

---The Beginning----

It all started on a Monday morning, sometime in mid August of 2011... I was working at home and bored as usual, I received a call from my friend who tells me she has accepted a job offer in California and will be moving in a month. I was so happy for her! She’s been waiting for this opportunity for over a year now. We talked about how exciting her new life would be and I told her I was so jealous because she wouldn’t have to deal with driving in snow anymore! I don’t really remember how we got to talk about guinea pigs but at the end of the call, we had arranged that I would help re-home her guinea pig during the move. Now, I have never owned an animal in my entire life, not even a gold fish. I wasn’t sure what to expect and almost regretted saying yes to her without consulting with my common-law boyfriend. The first thing I did, was google “guinea pig how to” on the computer. It was amazing the amount of information I found. 2 hours later I felt like a guinea pig expert! So that afternoon, I dropped by friend’s place to meet the little piggy for the first time.

(sorry for the wall of text and no photos to show! I am working on the photo situation for my next post)

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:48 pm

I am going to love this Chronicle.

Amy265

Post   » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Can't wait to meet your oinkers!!

Jorle

Post   » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:51 pm

When I arrived at my friend’s place, she had already been packing. The place was a mess. We made our way through the hall way of boxes, leading to her basement. “That’s where we keep her” she said, “she kind of stinks after a few days or so.” As I walked down the flight of stairs, I felt a little excited. Hidden in the corner of her basement, beside the elliptical (clearly it has been used maybe once or twice) was a pet store cage sitting on top of, surprise surprise, more boxes! I could smell the ammonia from the cage before I even got close. “Her name is Nana!” she said cheerfully. I squat down to get a closer look at her, but the moment I moved Nana darted to the other corner of the cage in such a panic that it startled me. From then on, she just sat there, staring at us, frozen. It was clear that she didn’t want anything to do with us. I spent the next 30 minutes or so trying to get her to warm up to me. I threw all kinds of vegetable goodness at her, she didn't want it. Finally, I just gave up. “She was kind of like that when we got her, it takes awhile for her to trust you.” my friend told me as we went back up stairs. I found out that day that Nana was 4 months old and purchased from a local pet store as a gift for her niece. Unfortunately, the child quickly grew bored of the animal and my friend had to take it back. She has been trying to re-home Nana for the last 2 months now. I told her I’d be ready to take Nana in as early as Friday as long as the conversation at home with Darren goes well.

That night, after a little bit of convincing Darren finally gave in. There were conditions of course. I promised I'd do all the cleaning and feeding and... pretty much everything. He made it clear that he didn’t want anything to do with caring for the animal. Fair enough. On Thursday before the pickup, I went to walmart and bought some grids and 2 fleece blankets (they were on sale woohoo!) to make my cage. I already knew what I wanted; A simple 3x2 cage lined with fleece as the main bedding. I went home, put everything together myself in an hour. I was proud of myself that day. I went to bed that night feeling pretty confident about the following day to come.

The next day, I went to my friend’s house after work to pickup Nana. When we got home and just as I was about to put her in her brand new cage I realized that I had forgotten to line the bottom of the cage with newspaper! IDIOT! I thought to myself. Without even thinking I put Nana in a cardboard box while I started fixing the cage. I can honestly say that box was about 12 inches high. Maybe 3 minutes went by before I looked in the box, only to find Nana M.I.A. I started looking everywhere in the room. That little ninja, jumped out of the box and found a place to hide right behind my computer station. I picked her up and put her back in the box again and the moment I turned around, she jumped out again! I could not believe this was happening to me. I’m on my knees, chasing Nana around the room. As if this wasn’t enough, she did this a couple more times to me, even though I had a lid on the box! By the end, I was flustered and sweaty. I couldn’t wait to finally put her in her new cage.

Once in her cage, Nana refused to come out of her wooden cave. No matter what kind of yummy treat I had waiting for her. I tried putting the veggies right up to her and leaving it there, only coming back to check up on her every 15 minutes or so. She didn't touch it. I remember reading about how guinea pigs need time to adjust to their new surroundings once they move into a new cage, so I left her alone for the rest of the day.
Image 2 days went by, she barely touched any food or drink. I started to worry... so I took her to the vet and she told me everything was healthy. I also did a lot of research online myself and at the end of the day I came to the conclusion that Nana needed a cage mate. The next day I was on kijiji looking for Nana's best friend.

serelixyue

Post   » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:15 pm

that is a very beautiful fleece bedding! love the colors, all blendy and harmonious. and what a shy sweet piggy hiding there :)

StormyPiggies

Post   » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:18 pm

Nana looks so cute hiding in there!

I love the fleece colors too.

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Oh poor terrified Nana. But what a lucky girl to end up with someone who cared enough to figure out what she needed!

Jorle

Post   » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:10 pm

I was on a mission to find the perfect girlfriend for Nana. I typed in "guinea pig" on the local kijiji site and BAM! 8 pages came up. I never knew guinea pigs were this popular and people were selling/giving them away for all sorts of reasons. I came across a couple of ads that interested me. The first one was of a beautiful peruvian lilac sow. Her owners were allergic to her and couldn't keep her any longer. I sent them a reply right away hoping to get more information about her (age, name... What she likes etc.)

(To this day I still can't figure out what the black spot is... any ideas?)

Another ad also caught my interest, although less so than he previous ad. A college student was selling her new born guinea pig babies because she has no more room in her dorm to house them. She had bought a pair from a pet store thinking they were a pair of girls and a couple months later she had 3 guinea pig babies! The thought of a baby anything just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I replied to the girl asking if I could see the babies in person since she only lived 15 min away from me. She responded almost immediately and we arranged to see the piggies the following weekend. I was really hoping that the previous advertiser would've gotten back to me by then so I could've made a better decision when I went to see the babies. They never did but I was still hopeful, maybe they were just occupied... For 3 days. Saturday came, I remember promising myself in the car on the way to see the guinea pig babies that I would only look but not make a decision until I hear back from my first choice. Ya... Well that promise was short lived because 30 minutes later I came home with Poppy, Nana's 2nd best friend!

(Do you see how Nana just sits in the background going "tsk tsk tsk, that's how you get eaten the wild poppy... you are such a noob."

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Aww look at her little sticking up ears!

You tell her Nana, my Arnold knows all about the dangers of being out in the open. He's a wise pig too.

At first glance the black spot looks like a dirty grease gland. My boys can get all dirty there if I don't keep them clean. Their hair gets all matted and sticky from the secretions from the gland just above where their tail would be. I'm not sure if girls have the same thing, but then maybe she wasn't a girl.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:28 pm

It's not her nose, is it?

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Hahaha, GP, I thought that end was her butt! Durr.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Waaah. All I can see are red x's where pictures should be.

TexCavy

Post   » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:57 pm

So cute, Hopefully the young one will bring out bravery in the older one. :)

akintolife

Post   » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm really enjoying your chronicle. Nana and Poppy are gorgeous. Poppy looks like she's a very excited, explorer piggy.

I think the black spot is a dirty grease gland.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:54 am

Lovely chronicle!! I really love your fleeces too!

Jorle

Post   » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:35 am

Poppy was in QT for 5 days before I introduced her to Nana. I know what some of you are thinking but honestly, I just couldn't wait any longer! Don't you just love introductions though? It's so exciting! I did plenty of research before putting the two of them together. Everything went down on Monday, cage cleaning day. I lined the cage with new towels and clean fleece so there wouldn't be any scent from Nana's old bedding. I placed the piggies down one at a time in opposite corners of the cage. Then, I sat and watched. Nana sat very still in her corner, looking terrified as usual. Poppy on the other hand was popcorning and running laps around the cage! It was my first time seeing a guinea pig in high spirits (that's how she got her name)! There is something about a popcorning piggy that just gives you instant joy. She was running so fast and hard that she would run into the chloroplast. She almost gave me scare when she slammed against a corner and fell on her face, but she just popped right up and kept running. I think she was just so happy to be in a bigger cage, lined with pink fleece instead of brown carefresh. Who could blame her? Nana must've thought this one is crazy. She was right and you know what? It's contagious, because in a matter of minutes Nana was running around too! I was so amazed at how quickly Nana's behaviour changed once she was introduced to Poppy. It was like she became a totally different piggy. I thought to myself animals really do live in the moment.

It wasn't long before Nana figured out she was bigger and mother nature dictates she must be the boss. Poppy didn't fight it, maybe because she knew she would never win a fight against a pig almost twice her size. I personally think it's because she could've cared less. As long as Poppy was well fed and had some comfy pink fleece to lay her head, she was a happy pig. As for Nana, she was finally eating and drinking.
I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. Poppy in her own little way took care of Nana when she really needed a friend. Even though Nana bossed her around every day, I don't think Poppy minded. Deep down I think she knew who needed who more ;) So, at the end of the day I had 2 perfect piggies and they were getting along fantastically. They were like two peas in a pod...
Everything was perfect.

The following day, I received an email from the people who posted the first ad that I was interested in... I think you know where this is going.

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:18 am

They are SO CUTE.

clairey

Post   » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:23 am

Uh-oh, I can guess where this is going. :)

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:04 pm

They are both adorable!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:16 pm

3 is a perfect number for guinea pigs ;-)

61 posts