The Southern Boars

Piggywig

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Smokey is sick right now. He is losing weight, and although the vet is keeping them trimmed, he says that the shape of his mouth is such a way that the front teeth really don't meet well. Smokey loves to chew the bars, though and does it often.

He is congested and on Baytril, and today will be his third treatment in the nebulizer. He's active and excited about food, but it seems like neither him nor Louie gets all that excited about their pellets anymore - Oxbow Adult Cavy. Doc is keeping a close watch on his teeth.

Poor little man. He really hates Baytril. He's my oldest man, I got him in 2010. Just want that weight to go up. One thing that has changed is that they used to get a baby carrot every afternoon. But after Snickers bladder stone, those got taken away. He is currently sick of the sight of me.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm sorry Smokey is sick. Please give him a get well soon scritch for me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:10 pm

I am sorry too. It's so hard to have a guinea pig having health problems!

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm sorry. Smokey is so beautiful.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:07 am

Oh, I know exactly how you feel about wanting so badly to see the numbers go UP on the gram scale.

Sorry to hear Smokey is sick. It is just so hard when our babies get sick.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:19 pm

Sending healing vibes to Smokey. I hope the nebulization sessions are helping.

Piggywig

Post   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Smokey's lungs seem well. Now he just needs to get fat again.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:45 am

Good to hear that Smokey is better. I find it can be difficult to get a pig to put on weight that they've lost (why can't my metabolic rate work that way too?). As long as he's eating well and active, those are all positive signs.

Piggywig

Post   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:27 am

Sorry it has been a while since I posted, and only with unhappy news, too. But...Smokey and Louie are headed to the vet this morning. Somebody (I think it's Smokey) is peeing pee close to the color of coffee. So that means bladder issues. I've been being really careful with everyone, too.

I'm trying not to get immediately whipped out of shape about this, but the last two pigs who had bladder problems needed surgery, and died immediately afterward. So. Anyway. Wish us luck or whatever you do. I think we need it.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Prayers going up for your boys. Keep us updated.

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:55 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Smokey and Louie.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:26 pm

Fingers crossed for everypig.