Bouncing Boars

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Cool! I felt like a worried mommy!

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:29 pm

You can check out Batman's and Squeak's medical threads for info on that. I am updating the chronicle to share some Batman cuteness!

This morning I brought the boys their veggies, and when I opened Batman's cage lid I was greeted by this:

Here is Batman's breakfast veggies from today:

And here is a video of him doing what he always does when I give him his breakfast:

And, of course, Batman just being his lovely (round) self:

Nemo

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Cute video! I have the same green bowls as you, although Nemo loves to tip it over right after I put pellets in, they must taste better if they are eaten from the ground.

Is that Batman wheeking in the video or is that one of the other pigs?

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:46 pm

That would be H/B wheeking in the video. I call him the little guy (he's about five months old and passed the 1000 g mark a couple of weeks ago). He's a foster we may have found a home for. He's funny because he has such a loud and deep squealy voice compared to the other boys, who have the more typical wheeky whistle!

I really like those bowls. Sometime I'll have to get a photo of Batman eating out of them. He likes to lie down with his head in the bowl. Nothing like relaxing while enjoying a snack!

Nemo

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Nemo does that too with those bowls! He also likes to use it as a pillow.. or a place for poops.

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Hey, if you wanna have the poops for later, you need some good storage!

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:53 pm

If ever there was any doubt about the personalities of my guinea pigs, the arrival of their new cavy caves (courtesy of eschimpf) has laid that to rest.

Here's a video (long, about 10 minutes) of me introducing them to their caves: (It was still uploading at time of posting, so it may not be available to watch when you click.)

Batman was interested in his Bat-Cave primarily as a possible snack, as was Squeak. Bubble, however, being the smartest guinea pig I've ever had, figured out what it was for almost immediately!

Here are some photos:

Bubble is enamoured with his new cavy cave! by JannaLou, on Flickr

Squeak doesn't quite know what to make of the soccer monkeys... by JannaLou, on Flickr

Batman finally went inside his Bat-Cave after I put in a strawberry treat! by JannaLou, on Flickr

Oops, it tipped over! by JannaLou, on Flickr

Shortly after this photo, Batman started wheeking in panic because he couldn't find the door. Then he stepped on the floor again, and the door magically appeared!

Get me out of here! by JannaLou, on Flickr

I left them to their own devices, and a little later I came back, camera in hand, to see if I could get any cute photos. Here's what I found:

The Bat-Cave is a little flattened... by JannaLou, on Flickr

Squeak figured out how to get inside his cave! by JannaLou, on Flickr

Bubble loves his cave. by JannaLou, on Flickr

I just went into the piggy room, and the Bat-Cave was flat again. I think Batman's trying to climb it. However, there was also a poop inside, so maybe he snuck in there when I wasn't looking!

In other news, they've been all eating lots of fresh grass lately (it's been raining so much, it's all hand-picked right before I give it to them). Everyone is a good, healthy weight, and I am pleased to be able to say that the brothers are both getting back to their normal weights since being separated! I am hoping to pick up the supplies to build a new cage this weekend, so it is quite possible that my next update will be about introducing the boys to their new homes! :)

Batman was off veggies for two weeks and pellets for one, to get his system cleared of calcium. The grass they're eating has some dandelion greens in it, but that doesn't seem to be posing too much of a problem for him, thank goodness. I just try to make sure that there aren't a lot of dandelion greens in there for him to eat.

I did three days where he got a baby carrot every night, and his urine remained clear, so then I did three days of cucumber every night. Still doing well! Tonight I'll start three days of pellets. If he doesn't stay clear with the pellets back in his diet, I guess I'll be looking for information on good pellet-less diets. After the pellets, I'm going to try green leaf lettuce and peppers (not at the same time), and at some point I'll see about apples. Then I'll have to start looking at combinations and be careful about introducing new veggies.

And that is our Chronicle update for today!

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Poops inside the Bat-Cave this morning! We have success!

That original YouTube link doesn't go anywhere; sorry. Our internet drops packets so it takes ages for things to upload, and it got lost overnight.

However, I've re-uploaded the video, and you can definitely find it here:

sweetrapunzelmeg

Post   » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:35 pm

I love the batcave! I need to get some Cars Themed (the movie) stuff for my cages!

serelixyue

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:02 am

I love your cozies, they are so colorful! Especially the football monkey one.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:18 am

Awe they are so cute in the video. I hope they really enjoy them. :)

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:20 pm

I changed from the caves to the beds a few days after the above, and everyone loved their beds.

The brothers in their beds by JannaLou, on Flickr

Aw, Batman is so cute! by JannaLou, on Flickr

I also discovered that the pads are the right size to go under igloos, which is great since I gave the igloos to the foster pigs!

I switched the boys back to the caves a few days ago because the beds needed washing, and Batman went to his and sniffed it and went right on in. They are definitely a hit! On top of that, I've got the brothers sharing space again, and Bubble and Squeak know which is whose - as in, Bubble is usually in the dinosaurs bed or cave, and Squeak spends his time in the monkey one.

Squeak also leaves Bubble alone if he's in his cave/bed and was being a brat to him last week unless Bubble was behaving and sitting in said bed/cave. That seems to have righted itself, thank goodness. It was probably related to Bubble's ear injury - Batman tore it really badly last time I let them all together. I'm watching it really carefully, but it seems to be healing well, with no infection. I don't think he's in pain anymore, at least. He's eating more and spending more time out on the floor of the cage. It happened on the Saturday over Canada Day weekend, and if it hadn't been healing well on its own already I would have taken him to the vet on Tuesday for sure. One nice thing is that Bubble is becoming more cuddly and he will let me pet him on the nose in the cage now. Squeak won't let me at all! (No photos of Bubble's ear, sorry. It probably wouldn't photograph well anyway, since his skin is black. :P)

Oh, and Batman and Squeak nearly got into it last time I let them hang out together all by themselves (Wednesday evening), so I hope the brothers can continue to live together - three separate males wasn't exactly in the plan!

Yesterday when I swept out the cages, I took the Bat Cave out to get rid of the poops and have more space for sweeping, and when I put the cave back in, Batman went right inside before he came back out to eat the fresh grass I gave him for breakfast!

Now, this afternoon when I was getting ready to leave for babysitting, I gave everyone some more grass to eat while I was gone. Batman was inside his flattened cave, and all I could see through the opening was one back leg and part of his side/bum. Wanting to show him his noms, I reached into the cage and called to him softly, lifting the cave off of his head.

Batman was apparently in a VERY deep sleep, because my boy freaked out and started running - inside the cave. Those suckers ROLL, just so you all know. He went straight down the length of the cage and ran into the wall, then turned right and ran into the grids that separate him from the brothers. Somehow that got him out of the cave (still not sure how). He made another right turn and ran down the length of the cave and tried to go up the wall, then turned around and ran back, tried to go up the wall, and went back the other way again. He did that a few times, then ran to his cave (which I had retrieved once he was free of it) and went inside. He poked his head out and ate a bit of grass.

Eventually, he calmed down enough that I was able to catch him and look him over to make sure he wasn't actually HURT. I couldn't find any signs of injury, which is a Good Thing. But wow, what a random occurrence!