The Fabulous 4: Snickerspants Returns

Breadfan4

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:02 pm

Good luck to Ouiser....we'll all be thinking about her!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:45 pm

I am in fact cheered by her perpetual grumpiness. I don't think she's likely to dramatically stop eating like some other pigs (*cough*SNICKERS*cough*) and probably will just grump her way through it. I hope.

I totally forgot to pack hay when I dropped her off this morning! The vet gave her some and she was fine, but I'm sure she was glaring at me the whole way home. I won't make that mistake again!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:58 pm

All the best for her surgery. Hope she's doing well.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:21 pm

Apparently she is out of surgery and has already burrowed. That's my feisty girl!

clairey

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:23 pm

Phew! And breathe out.

Well done, Miss Ouiser. I never doubted your fortitude.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Yeah, fortitude is not her problem.

The only thing I'm worried about now -- other than the usual post-op stuff -- is how quickly this stone grew. I believe Dr. A would have seen it on an ultrasound if it had been there six weeks ago. And she agreed with me today that we don't want to operate over and over on a pig Ouiser's age, even with the fortitude. But even the low-calcium diet and fluids and citrate didn't prevent this one. :(

clairey

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:37 pm

Barrage incoming:
How hard is the water in your area? Would filtering maybe cut down the calcium further? How's about shillin-tong or whatchacall that stuff?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:01 pm

Is she pelletless? I had to take Flourish completely off pellets to get her urinary calcium under control.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:02 pm

She has only had filtered water since 2012.

Shilintong is on the table. Dr. A doesn't like the "herbals" companies that sell it in the US or the way they source their ingredients in China, etc., and at present she doesn't want to combine it with the citrate. But yes, we are discussing it.

And yes, she has been pelletless completely for about six weeks.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Miss Ouiser says, Who's your mama.

In other news: when we got home yesterday, Snick was so excited to see us that he donned the Hay Hat of Welcome Home.
But then he fully processed what was going on with the dividing fence and started testing the perimeter.

This morning, I had to add binder clips, because I found myself one pig short and with a very frustrated lump of fleece trying to get UNDER the fence.

I've been super busy today, but when I checked in on the pigcam, I saw Miss Ouiser sitting sadly in the corner, as if it were just TOO MUCH EFFORT to move to drink. You notice she is also pointedly ignoring the delectable dish of fresh CC and carrots I left for her.

Then I got a text from our dog walker, who stopped in to see if Snickers had imploded from boredom (no) or foiled the binder clips (also no). And HE found Miss Ouiser alternately chugging water and chowing down on hay.

"Don't tell Mom. I'm working this pitiful angle."

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Go Ouiser - you eat girl! That is some stone. And Snickers and his hay hat of welcome are very fetching. :) I love me some snick. I would get nothing done with a pigcam!

clairey

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:16 pm

It probably just took her a while to feel like doing much, depending on what drugs she's on. To you she was sitting sadly but she might well have been watching dancing carrots on the walls and going "woah, man!"

edit: I just saw in her med thread that she's on buprenorphine so yep, dancing carrots.