The Fabulous 4: Snickerspants Returns

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:30 pm

I've moved the PigPlex back out into the hall, for easier talking-to and picking-up of pigs (and because it's gotten a bit cooler). Who needs to be able to open the front door?

The new location means they're back at the foot of the stairs... which means Certain Pigs have to resume their ZOMG BREAKFAST tapdancing in the mornings when I come downstairs!

Hunybee

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:45 am

I love that time in the morning. Look how sweet he is waiting for you Momma.

Mine look at me like that for about the time it takes for me to set the plate in front of them. Then they're done.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:24 am

Awww, I miss that look. He's a mighty cute little Snickers isn't he. Send him some scritches from me. If he'll allow, you can share a few with the other pigs too. :)

Piggywig

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:28 am

SwtMelly, tumbleweeds are total abby butts. That is so cute and so true!

Snickers happy dance, happy dance, happy dance, yay, come feed me, happy dance! (See, in my head, it's a song.)

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:11 pm

For several weeks now, the bedtime snack has been a chunk of cucumber. This is largely because Snickers decided to start boycotting baby carrots, of which they used to get 1 a day. I will admit that in the last 36 hours, breakfast has ALSO been a chunk of cucumber, which is due to the absence of green pepper in my fridge and a surplus of cucumber. And as of this morning, Snickers would like the world to know that cucumber is now also on his Do Not Eat list. He sort of half-heartedly nibbled his chunk after Ouiser tried to take it from him, but he was NOT happy.

Typically I give them a breakfast (usually a small strip of green pepper), a big dinner around when we eat (lettuce etc.), and then a bedtime snack (the cucumber or carrot). Any suggestions for other small, easy-to-prepare, relatively low-calcium snacks I could mix in to keep Snickers's interest?

clairey

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Using what's in my fridge right now as inspiration - green beans or mange tout maybe?

Stephen gets very picky if he gets the same thing often. They only get veg once a day and I have a rotation of several 'guest veggies' that appear alongside the lettuce and pepper. No consecutive days have the same menu. It's like running a pig cafe!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:38 pm

Why not add in a fruit? Blueberries go over well here and are antioxident happy! A chunk of canteloupe or apple or strawberry?

tashab

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Cherry tomatoes, green beans, blueberries, strawberries, melon, herbs (mine have decided they really like the chocolate mint I planted this year) . . .

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Mine have decided they dislike most fruits we've tried - apple, pear, bluberries, blackberries, strawberries, melon - all a big fat no.

Half a grape each - massive hit (Snowy will have Fluffy's if she gets the chance)

Half a cherry each - Snowy wolfs them down, Fluffy occasionally leaves hers for Snowy. Bless her, she likes to share.

Celery gets a big paws up.

Courgette - Snowy likes, Fluffy doesn't.

Cocktail tomatoes (smaller than a normal tomato but bigger than a cherry, variety Brioso on the packaging) are their favourite tomato.

An occasional sprig of Parsley - they know which plant is theirs on the windowsill. I use it as a treat due to calcium levels.

Baby sweetcorn and Mangetout/sugarsnap peas occasionally - usually when I'm making a meal with them in. If I'm cooking with something they are allowed they usually get a little piece to shut them up, as I can hear the wheeks saying "Mammy never feeds us". Naturally, all veggies I cut up in the kitchen MUST be for them.

Tomorrow we're trying corn husks and silks (I found some fresh corn in the supermarket today, usually it's stripped and vac packed).

Red and Yellow peppers - go down well. Not so much the green.

Broccoli - the tiniest piece from my broccoli and stilton quiche day. They'd eat the whole bunch if I let them!

Spring greens (a type of flat leaf green cabbage) - like broccoli, a tiny piece if I'm cooking with it as it gives Snowy a gassy tummy.

Other "we don't like" veggies for my 2 - green beans, sweet potato, butternut squash, basil, mint, coriander/cilantro.

Basil had the funniest reaction. I offered them some, they weren't sure, so I put a few leaves in the cage, and they squealed and squealed until I removed it.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:38 am

"Don't scare me with scary vegetables!"

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Ouiser, doing Sun Salutations while I'm at work.

tashab

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Yoga pig!