Third Time's a Charm

emilyam19

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:16 pm

I guess it’s about time I introduce my pigs. I’ll do a quick intro and eventually get around to stories about each one. First I want to say thank to everyone who helps make this a great place to learn about guinea pigs. I wouldn’t have been able (or even known) to give them as much as I do now without resources like GL.

These are their Halloween costumes (they stayed in them long enough to get a shot and then wriggled out as soon as they could).

The first is Grushka, she is a sweetheart that loves to cuddle. If you try to eat in front of her she’ll try to get a taste (I’ve almost lost a piece of cake when she jumped and tried to tip the plate over-she got a piece of green pepper to distract her until I was done so maybe she knew what she was doing).

This is Sonia (I know it doesn’t look like she’s being held with both hands here), she’s not as affectionate as Grushka but she seems the most needy. I can’t leave her alone when she’s out of her cage, even if she’s safe in her pen on the floor or she’ll squeal until I come back.

This is Charlie (formally known as Elliot), our neutered boar. He is the leader of the herd (and loves it). He’s the first to brave walking on hardwood floors when they get to explore outside of the cage and routinely patrols to make sure everything in his cage is the way it should be. He also keeps the peace between Grushka and Sonia. If there’s any squabbling he usually places himself in between the two. He won’t cuddle on my lap as much as the girls, but he will settle down on a blanket next to you (he’s having a pig dream as I type this, I can see him twitch while he’s in REM).

I hope you like the costumes more than the pigs did.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:07 pm

They are all quite adorable!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Loved the photos. You have some very cute piggies. I see they're all colour coordinated in the black and white colour theme as well.

Breadfan4

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:37 pm

I especially love Charlie's outfit!

emilyam19

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:00 pm

They’re almost color coordinated (not intentionally but they do look great together)-Charlie has a few little specks of tan speckled on his other side. The costumes are for dogs, I think from Home Goods?

emilyam19

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Bringing home Grushka:

I had guinea pigs growing up and they were my favorite pet. When I was about 11, I even saved up all my money to fly Pumpkin Pie, my guinea pig at the time, to the States when we moved from Germany (I’m an Army brat). I had read my little guinea pig care guidebooks back to back several times when I was a kid so I thought I knew enough about guinea pig care (this turned out not to be true at all, it was before the internet had things like GL to really help with pet care).

Fast forward to 2011, I had just graduated college and moved back home to pay off loans and get my Masters at Johns Hopkins. I thought a small pet that didn’t need to be walked in the middle of the day would be a good idea and since I (thought I) knew about guinea pig care they seemed perfect. After talking the boyfriend (Chris) into being my accomplice, I walked into the pet store (this of course was before I knew any better).

The store had two little girls and as I was looking at them a little girl and her mom came in to look at the guinea pigs. Her mom mentioned her daughter liked the tri color one so I was happy to take the mostly black one (except for a white stripe on her butt that runs between her back legs). She reminded me a little of the cat in the Pepe Le Pew cartoons that gets white paint on her back. The employee assigned to help me with the pigs was terrified he’d get bit (I think it was a tie over who was more scared-him or the pigs) and it took him 10 minutes to catch one.

I think my mom was about to throw me and the pig out when I surprised her with our new addition (this didn’t last long-eventually she was buying all kinds of accessories, in fact the Halloween costumes were her idea). Chris set up the cage while I held a terrified little pig. I was falling in love. I held her wrapped in a little towel for hours, I felt guilty putting her in a cage by herself since I assumed it was probably her first time living alone. Finally it was late and Chris said it was probably time to put her away but I started worrying it might be too cold for her (we keep the house maybe 70 on winter nights-perfect pig temperature but she was so tiny). Chris then reminded me she has a fur coat on and she would probably be just fine. I still stuffed about ten washcloths in her hut so she could keep warm. Looking back she was probably wondering why this nut job had filled her hut making it hard to fit inside.

Anyway now the part that matters, pictures of Grushka:

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Grushka is such a handsome pig!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 pm

I like the white stripe on Grushka's bum - gives her a very distinctive look.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:50 am

Your cavies are very beautiful. Grushka's butt stripe is very endearing.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:42 am

Grushka looks very distinguished!

10 posts • Page 1 of 1