Life and times of a Crazy Guinea Pig Lady

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm starting a chronicle! I'm going to start from the beginning of my guinea pig experience.
In April 2009 my youngest daughter asked for a hamster. I agreed thinking if she decided she was "bored" with it I wouldn't mind taking care of it so we went to Petco. While in there looking at hamsters I told her "you know they only live a year or two", she broke down crying and said "then why would you let me get one?!" We left the store. A week or so later she decided that if she could at least give it the best 2 years it would be worth it.
We went back to Petco and while looking at hamsters an employee recommended we get a guinea pig instead. You can hold them, interact with them and they live much longer. They had a beautiful white pig with blue eyes and dark grey ears. We brought her home in a Super Pet cage with a bag of pellets and hay.
I am OCD and started researching right away how to properly care for her. I found GuineaPigCages.com and discovered C&C cages. I went on eBay and ordered a kit. In the meantime we realized Delilah was getting very fat. Soon after, I felt movement and discovered she was pregnant!
On June 1 we came home to 2 perfect little babies. A white one with red eyes and a tri-colored one. Within a few weeks I discovered the white one was male and the tri-colored female. I started looking into finding a home for the male, my daughter decided she wanted to keep the female as a companion. While reading about homing him I discovered that PEW's are hard to home. I was offended that anyone would not absolutely love this perfect little boy so I decided to keep him as my piggy.

Stewart and I bonded. He loved me so much. He knew the sound of me coming up the stairs. He would run to the bars to see me. He loved to poke his nose through the bars for me to pet him. He never ran when I'd pick him up. Stewart was Facebook famous, I'd post pictures of him wearing tiny hats for every holiday. He actually liked posing and would hold perfectly still so all I had to do was set the hat on his head and he'd wait for me to take his pictures.
Stewart passed away November 8, 2012. He had severely malformed molars, a missing incisor and unbeknownst to me had not been able to chew or swallow properly for a long time. The vet discovered under anesthesia that one of his molars had grown over, trapping his tongue, preventing him from swallowing. He came out of the anesthesia but fell asleep that night and never woke up. Looking back, he would always drink while eating his pellets and his dish was always crusted with pellets on the bottom. I think he would get a pellet and then some water to soften the pellets making them edible. Poor baby. I'm pretty sure he was a high functioning lethal. His mom is white but looking closely there are tons of black hairs mixed in, I believe she is a roan.

This is one of my favorite pictures of him. He'd run to me when I'd let him free in the living room.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Everyone was convinced I was going to completely fall apart when Stewart died but while I did grieve I knew that every ounce of sadness was worth having him for those 3-1/2 years.

I quickly knew I wanted another pig and started looking at nearby rescues. I kept running into obstacles and on December 2 I bought a baby girl and named her Kona.

I continued looking at nearby rescues but kept running into obstacles. Finally, on January 5, 2013 I adopted a beautiful American/Teddy mix from LA Guinea Pig Rescue. Saskia is amazing and allowed me to spend as much time as necessary, 2 hours, to find my match. I now know why it took me so long, Squishy is my perfect piggy. She is such a sweet, love able, cuddlebug I don't ever want to put her down. I think I held every pig at the rescue, probably over 20, and as soon as I picked her up I knew. She's not the "cutest" pig there but she's absolutely perfect. She has curly whiskers, bright orange fur and her white spots are a completely different texture than the orange. I could look at her all day.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 am

Congrats on adopting Saskia. She and Kona are lovely. So sorry you lost Stewart but at least he loved in his short life.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:11 am

Thanks GP_mum, he was definitely loved!

Squishy and Kona are getting along better each day. I held them both on my lap after work and they both relaxed for a long time, I just had to keep a hand between them. Squishy doesn't like Kona too close to her still.

Here they are having dinner together. Not bad for day 4

Here's one of just Squishy. I love her color!

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 am

They ran laps this morning!! I'm almost certain I heard them both running. I was afraid if I got up to look they'd stop so I just tried to listen. Kona has a very high pitched squeak and Squishys is deeper, I think I heard both. I think that is one of my favorite sounds - Little feet running like crazy at 5:30 in the morning. It's like listening to babies laugh.

I think they are bonding :-)

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:22 pm

You said... "Everyone was convinced I was going to completely fall apart when Stewart died but while I did grieve I knew that every ounce of sadness was worth having him for those 3-1/2 years."
That's how I feel...

Yay for your pigs running together all around! It's so great to see. :)

pigwidgeon

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:43 pm

My pig cage is in my room so I hear their little feet running at all hours lol. I'll be sitting here at my desk (which is next to the cage; the loft area of the cage is on my desk) minding my business and hear the piggers scratching around and making little squeaky sounds. So cute.

I love the puzzle piece fleece! Your pigs are so precious.

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:45 am

I hate working overnights, but I love the excuse it gives me to sleep nearer the pigs. Even when they actually wake me I don't mind it! The lap-running, the burbling, even the disagreements, I love it all.

akintolife

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 am

I'm really enjoying your chronicle. The love you have for your piggies just shines through so much.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Kona and Squishy are moving up in the world, literally! I got them a Piggy Patio from the Guinea Pig Store and they LOVE it! At first Kona went up top and Squishy looked everywhere (except up top) for her. It was hilarious! Kona held perfectly still at the top of the ramp while Squishy ran around, looking in the Pigloo, the wood house, the tunnel. It was like they were playing hide and seek. Finally Squishy looked up and saw Kona and Kona ran down the ramp and they took turns chasing eachother popcorning.

This mornings laps included running up and down the ramp and around the loft. I think its a hit! I cannot get video of them running. Everytime I try they stop. A few days ago I tried waiting with my camera but they knew I was watching. As soon as I went downstairs to have breakfast we heard them above us; it sounded like a herd of miniature elephants!

GuineaPigMomo1

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:13 pm

I don't know if I've said this before, but it just completely cracks me up everytime you refer to your newest pig as 'Squishy'. :)

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:59 pm

GuineaPigMomo, it's not her official name yet but it's probably going to be! She is seriously so squishy!

Here's a picture of the chase and the new loft area!

And here's Kona checking out the ramp

Breadfan4

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:41 pm

What a palace!

Misscavylove

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:26 pm

Wow! Squishy and Kona are so pretty! :) I'm sorry about Stewart, may he Rest in Peace at the bridge.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:37 pm

My daughter and I were bored this morning so we decided to do a piggy photo-shoot!

Here's Kona

Here's Squishy doing her sophisticated pose

And here they are, best of friends :-)

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:17 am

The girls are getting along great. They are so funny with their new loft area, the ramp has become the new place to discuss who is alpha pig. Squishy will lay down at the very top, blocking Kona from coming up. All of the food is up there so Kona knows its worth arguing over rights to pass. Kona will sit mid-ramp making her morse code sounds and Squishy will just sit there. Eventually Kona will inch her way up and Squishy will have to have a nose off. They never fight or bite but there's a few nose pokes and I've seen them each back down equally. It's more like two kids poking each other just to piss the other off.

Kona is getting bigger every day, she's gained a few ounces but she's getting very long. She is much more scared when getting picked up from the cage but she seems to enjoy being held more than Squishy.

Squishy thinks its funny to chatter her teeth at me just about every time I come near the cage but she'll let me reach in and pet her and then starts to purr. I always ask her is she's challenging me to a fight, so far no response :-)

I finally ordered KMS Hayloft hay and pellets but they won't be here til Monday so we ran to the store to get a bag to make it til then. We decided to get a small bag of Orchard Grass hay and they LOVE it. They popcorn so much they look hilarious. They popcorn coming up the ramp, and attempt to popcorn in the loft but they bump the top of the cage. It's kinda funny to see but I'm going to lower the loft to give them some more popcorning room just in case it hurts their heads.

Misscavylove

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:39 am

Awh! Adorable piggy alert!
I MUST STEAL YOUR PEEGS

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:39 am

Kona looks like a busy busy busy busy Abby. (Is that redundant?)

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Your piggies are super adorable. I like their cage too!

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Squishy and Kona are best buddies! They run laps like crazy pigs every single morning and sometimes in the afternoon too. They run up the ramp, around the loft, down the ramp and do figure eights down below. Squish chases Kona then they stop, and reverse and Kona chases Squish.

I got them new sleeping bags and they LOVE them!!

30 posts