Pig Planet: The Adventures of Baozi and Ace

pigwidgeon

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:08 am

Hey everyone, I'm new to Guinea Lynx and to piggies as well (sort of). I did have a guinea pig as a child, and I had mice after that, so it's been years since I had a pig. Today I went to the humane society for one and ended up coming home with two oop.

They are a pair of girls, an owner surrender. The humane society employees did not know how old they were. They look and seem healthy, however, and I'll get them checked by a vet just in case.

There were no names listed on their papers at the HS so I renamed them Ace and Baozi. Unforch I do not have a nice camera like a lot of you guys here, so I just have some pics and a vid taken on my blackberry (note to self: get a good camera so I can write some ~*classy*~ chronicles).

Short video

Re: Baozi squealing, I tried my best to pet her and calm her down but I think she was just really freaked from the trip home (the worker at the HS just grabbed them by the scruff of the neck and stuck them in a box and they were squealing in terror :( ). Poor little things. They both seem pretty calm and mellow in their new cage though. Right now they're happily munching on hay and carrots.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 am

Great setup for Baozi and Ace, they look like they are adjusting fairly well; welcome to GL!!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 am

Welcome to GL and thank you for adopting. Their cage set-up looks very nice. I'm sure Ace & Baozi will be chilling out and enjoying thier new digs in no time at all.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:44 am

Scruff of the neck? That is definitely NOT the way to pick up a guinea pig!!! I am sure it was painful and upsetting.
www.guinealynx.info/.html

They look like cuties!

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 am

Well I guess that is shelter workers for you (when it is not a guinea specific rescue/shelter) They are adorable, congrats on the new members of your family, can't wait to see more!

pigwidgeon

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:58 pm

Just finished the afternoon cleaning. Piggers kept me up all night! They're noisy little fluffers.

I live with my family in an apartment, and I keep the pigs in my room. My room is TINY. This cage dominates one side lol. I sleep basically a yard or two from them. They were running around all night, popcorning, eating, drinking, so I guess they're happy at least!

btw my water bottle leaks like a sieve! I had to wash the towels already this morning (I keep them on puppy pads and towels since I live in Hawaii, and I feel like fleece would be too hot for them). What do you guys do about leaky water bottles? Any advice?

I'm off to buy a pigloo for them and maybe some other toys and necessities from a local pet store (I know I shouldn't shop at pet stores, but there really isn't much choice in Honolulu, and sometimes it takes a while to get stuff I ordered online. I'm still waiting on the cuddle cups which I ordered last week). I'm also going to build a ramp up to the loft since they can't seem to get up there on their own.

They are still a little skittish. I tried to pet baozi this morning but she kept running away from me. I guess it just takes time. I didn't do lap time last night since they seemed to still be adjusting, but I will try later today.

Baozi was also lying in her wee last night and so I have to give her a bath. Fun!

Finally, so this block of text has some actual photos, here's one I took on my blackberry of them when I woke up this morning. The lighting was poor so I apologize for the poor quality:

They look innocent now... but I know the truth!

Crrrystal

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 pm

Nice setup! Kudos on doing a C&C cage right from the start.

I don't think fleece would be any warmer than towels are, assuming you don't have burrowers. Another benefit would be that urine and other fluids (like water from a leaky bottle) would be wicked away and your adorable piggies would be left with a nice, dry place to stand.

I sleep about 4 feet away from my pigs... I know exactly what you mean about noise! Hopefully they'll settle in and learn that night time is quiet time.

Can't wait to see more pictures!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 am

Look like the pigs have you wrapped around their paws. Re fleece - I live in the tropics and had the same worry. However, I've been using fleece for over 3 yrs and love it.

Due to the high humidity though, I swap the fleece, towels and newpaper twice a day. I use 2 sets of fleece & micro-fibre dish towels and rotate them daily. Everything then gets washed weekly.

This is only for their sleeping area which is two thirds of their C&C. The rest of the is taken up by their kitchen and dining area.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 pm

Congrats in adopt your new pigs!
I can't wait to see more pics and hear about them. :)

I live in Brazil, and I'm using fleece for about 3 years now. I love it because it's soft, comfy and keep my pigs dry. But sometimes the weather here is too hot, then I put frozen water bottles wrapped in a towel (or inside an old sock) and put there in the cage. It helps.

Some people here in Brazil started to use a fabric called "helanca" instead of fleece in the hot months (with towels underneath). I never tried it, but they say it works well.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Such sweeties!

I have been using fleece for over 8 years now and love it!

pigwidgeon

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Thank you for your replies! I will try fleece and see if it is easier on me (and the piggers). Right now I change the towels every day and change the puppy pads on their favorite toilet areas, the loft and their pigloo. For some reason they love to pee and poo and sleep in it. Oh, piggers.

Regiane, I am a big fan of your chronicles and your adorable fat girls. I was so sorry to hear about Panqueca and then about Aimi. :( I hope that Faisca will help little Pantu as she mourns her cage mates. I watched your cage cleaning vid and found it very helpful!

Pigjes, I've been watching your vids and I love them! You have such creative ways to keep your piggers entertained.

Yesterday was... odd. They went nuts and were running around the cage, rumble strutting and humping each other. I could not understand what was going on, but google-fu informed me they were in heat. I guess since they are a bonded pair they go into heat at the same time? I told Baozi to stop humping her roommate and my Mom was horrified, lol. She's not used to pigs at all. She seems to see them as overgrown rats and mice (minus tails) and is kind of scared of them, and vice versa. I think she's slowly getting used to them however and even said yesterday that they were cute!

Both pigs are still a little skittish. Baozi lets me pet her when she's in the hay bin but runs away otherwise. Ace always runs away. They will both eat out of my hands, however, and I even taught Baozi "up." They will beg at the side of the cage when i bring veggies. it's so cute.

Anyway, here is a short video of feeding time with the pigs: Yum yums!

Oh, one more question: do your pigs ever wee in the cuddle cups? Mine looooove weeing where they sleep lol. I'm going to have to wash the cups every day at the rate they're going :/

Crrrystal

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Just wait--your mom will want to be completely involved with them soon enough. That's what happened at my house.

They could be cycling, or they could just be re-establishing their relationship now that they're in their new digs. I wouldn't worry too much unless you see blood or seeeerious bullying (like blocking access to food and water).

My girls pee wherever they happen to be, which always seems to be under their tents and in the hay area. You could try making little pads to go inside your cups; that might help to absorb some more piddle so you don't need to change the whole cups out as often.