Pig Planet: The Adventures of Baozi and Ace

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:16 am

I'm so sorry pigwidgeon! I can totally see your frustration. Pigs are just like toys eh?!

My parents didn't understand the relationship between me and my pigs, and between the pigs themselves. No matter how hard I tried it didn't work.

I really wish there was so advice I could give, but there's nothing I can offer really. A stubborn parent is the worst.

One thing I'd like to point out though, Ace isn't suffering. She's got you and you're an "ace" piggy mom. She's lucky to have you, and you'll make sure she's cared for in the best possible way through this cruddy situation.

Good luck with your choices, and feel free to post on here as often as you want. I wish there was something I could do to help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 am

Read www.guinealynx.info/.html Weigh your pig daily right now. If you see any signs of depression, weight loss, see if you can point her to the companionship page here. www.guinealynx.info/.html Note that in Sweden, it is illegal to buy only one guinea pig (unless you already have one).

pigwidgeon

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks for your replies, Jaycey. I want to move out due to other personal issues I have with my Mom, but this is just the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. I don't appreciate being thought of a child. I'm not sure if that makes me angrier than her thinking piggies are "presents."

Ace pig watched Sleepy Hollow with me tonight. I joke that it's her favorite show, but she really seems more interested in her hay, treats, and naps than the show. :p She does get a lot of cuddles when she watches TV with me, though. She's much easier to cuddle outside of the cage. She's still quite skittish inside the cage.

I have noticed that she is wheeking a bit more often now (like, wheeking at all). When Baozi was alive, Ace was a mostly silent piggy. But lately I've heard a few wheeks. I wonder what it means.

I worry a bit b/c she no longer purrs and vibrates when I pet her and rub her belly. She used to be a serial purr-er. I wonder if she's missing her friend.

I was going to knit another guinea pig for the cage. This might be a kind of dumb question, but is it safe to use acrylic yarn? I was worried what might happen if Ace chewed it. I plan on using black yarn for the eyes instead of buttons for that reason. If natural fibers are safer, I could try to hunt down some cotton yarn (good luck finding wool in hawaii lolol).

Ace being fascinated by my TV show:

Last edited by pigwidgeon on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:31 am

I posted just above your post (you were likely writing when I posted).

pigwidgeon

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks, Lynx. I think I was writing as you posted. I pointed all this out to my Mom but she cited the many ignorant owners who buy just one pig from the pet store as proof that they're fine on their own. My sister-in-law adopted just one pig, and I keep encouraging them to get him a friend.

I am weighing Ace and she's lost a bit of weight, but it started before Baozi passed. If she loses any more I'm taking her to the vet. Thus far, she's still eating/drinking just fine.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:23 am

"Mom, your choice in film sucks! My choice next time"

Hopefully someone can comment on the yarn. I'd probably use it and just watch her like an eagle with it, just to make sure she's not going to chew it.

My new pig, Jon Snow wheeks really loudly for food. He briefly lived with Toki but is now on his own for the moment, until I can try to get him to live with Anselmo again. He didn't shout as much when he was with Toki. He's bright, alert, eating lots, and doing lots of zoomies but I do think he misses the company.

I completely understand your frustrations. I left home when I was 30 and up to that date I was treat like a child, being allowed or not allowed to get a new pig. So unbelievably frustrating!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:54 am

Fleece is basically acrylic, so I don't see where yarn would be that different. I'd take it out if you see Ace actively eating it, but I'd imagine that if you knit tightly enough (no real holes for feet or teeth to get stuck in) and don't expose filling (which is probably even less healthy) it's pretty safe to knit a friend.

As for the squeaking: there is a set, known amount of squeaking that has to be done to maintain a slave. If one pig fails to do the squeaking, the other pig(s) have to step up, but there's no point wasting effort if someone else is already doing it. This is why you often have a designated squeaker. And obviously Baozi was your designated squeaker, but Ace knows you need to be kept in line!

pigwidgeon

Post   » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:49 pm

Last night I brought Ace out to sit on the bed next to me and watch Person of Interest (it's a really great show; I highly recommend it). She took a peek while nomming her cucumber

But ultimately decided she would rather nap in her cuddle sack (and put her best side forward)

Well, except her curiosity got the better of her and she had to see how the episode ended:

She started to watch Chicago Fire afterward, but then she decided to pee all over the puppy pad so I had to put her back. :p Perhaps she was imagining putting out an imaginary fire with piggy pee. (yes ik I need to cut her nails. She puts up such a big fight though so I was procrastinating lol)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Person of Interest is a big hit in our house! (though we don't have any pets to watch with!!!)

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:52 am

I like it too. It's boilerplate cop drama, except it isn't.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:22 pm

You have excellent taste in TV shows Ace.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:15 am

How are you and Ace doing?