Shiny Piggies

shiny
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:05 pm

After having posted various things (mostly health problems) over the past months & finding useful information on here over the past years I thought it might be good to do a proper introduction to the shiny piggie household.

Our current longest resident is Bertie who came to us in September to be a companion for old man Willow (sadly now RIP). You may remember that Bertie had to have major surgery at 9 weeks old to remove a massive (& extremely expensive) abscess from the back of his neck. He then couldn't eat properly due to some problems with his jaw muscles post-surgery & went down to about 250g before we realised what was going on. We then syringe fed him & he gradually recovered the ability to eat independently. He sports a very stylish ears-on-top-of-the-head look as his surgery involved a sort of nip & tuck because it was such a big abscess! He is now 8 months old & doing ok. He has stopped growing at about 800g which we think is probably due to the surgery & long course of Baytril at such a young age. However, he thinks he is the biggest, baddest piggie of all & is actually rumbling at Horatio in the second pic.

Bertie is a real scruff being an Aby x & that's why he managed to hide an abscess for so long - it was under a massive rosette!

Next up is black & white Horatio who is Bertie's cagemate & a very sweet little chap around 5 months old. He still thinks we are going to eat him every time we pick him upp but is gradually getting braver. He thought the camera might eat him too...

Horatio mostly just ignores Bertie's rumbling, strutting & asserting that he is a Very Important Pig. Horatio is almost as heavy as Bertie now though so we shall see who is boss longterm!

Next is Pip, who is currently featuring in the medical thread with a URI thing going on. He was extremely runty & thin when we got him & we have been fattening him up. Here's the before & after pics of Pip since we got him at New Year.

Pip is a very cheeky boy who loves nothing more than nibbling holes in my sleeves. He is living alone until his URI is cleared up & then we are due to introduce him to:

Peanut

We got Peanut a few weeks back, his owner could no longer keep him & he is about a year or so old. We are his third lot of owners as the lady who had him previously got him when she went to collect a hutch & then took Peanut too as he & his cagemate had been fighting. Poor Peanut has absolutely shredded ears but seems ok & has a very cute crest & a long tail of hair over his bum. We did try Peanut & Pip together a while back but Peanut was very humpy & Pip was only 300g then so we had to stop it & take him out. We will try again as soon as Pip is better (he is over 600g now) so fingers crossed they will get on ok long term.

Lastly, here are a couple of pics of our old guineas now both no longer with us. Cloud is the white & Willow the black. They are the pair that started the whole guinea thing in our house some years back... They were lovely boys with Teddy or Rex coats (not sure which is which) & curly whiskers Willow is in the pic with baby Bertie the first time they met.

I hope you like meeting our boys, they say hi to all the other lovely piggies out there xx

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:15 pm

ohh the rex is my fav!

Amy265

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Hello boys! They are all so cute! Job well done on fattening Pip up, he is looking shiny and plump now. Hope all goes well with him and Peanut.

Xo Amy

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:30 pm

Pip is a cutie-pie, I really like his colouring. What a lovely little group of boars you have.

Nice chronicle :)

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Horatio is my fav!! All cute though.

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:22 pm

They're adorable!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:00 pm

They are all pretty darn cute!

And so many pretty guinea pigs!!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:59 am

What lovely boars. All the best that the introductions between Pip and Peanut go well.

shiny
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:18 am

Thanks everyone, the boys are most flattered that people think they are cute!

I don't know why we have all male animals; our 2 cats & 4 hamsters are all male too. Maybe it's because there always seem to be more males looking for homes from the rescues, certainly with hamsters I think some people are put off by the big boy bits following behind the hammies! Our cats are both black cats as there are always more black cats than any other colour looking for homes as some people won't take on a black cat sadly.

Breadfan4

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:36 am

The boys are all so cute!

shiny
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:57 am

Big Bad Bertie got a new bed & it is now officially his favourite place!

Maybe you're not so big & bad after all, eh Bertie? I think sleeping in a little pink flowery bed slightly dashes the big boss pig image he's busy trying to maintain... dear old Bertie!

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:55 pm

hehehe, it is a very lovely cosy bed, though!

Don't worry, Bertie, I'm all for guys in hawaiian shirts. I've got your back :)

AldenM1
Supporter in '16

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:20 pm

I love Bertie's mohawk!

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Nothing cuter than a piggy in bed!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:53 am

Aww, I love Bertie's sticking up ears! They all look like very happy piglets

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Great hairdo!

shiny
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks guys, Bertie certainly does have a crazy hairdo!

Time to introduce our new arrivals - The Snow Pigs

Here are pics of Perry & Austin (formerly Peri & Winkle)

They are some of the Himi pigs from the UK Piggy Bank Rescue they arrived about 10 days ago & are settling in nicely. They are about 12-15 months old.

They thought I was going to eat them with the camera so I only got a couple of quick pics of them in the pen last night while their cage was being cleaned out.

They are very cute boys & Austin has learned to meercat when he knows we're on the way with food.

My husband named them 'The Snow Pigs' as he was most amused by the idea of Himalayan guinea pigs roaming around the snowy mountains. I explained this isn't the case but the name stuck.

They are still a bit wary of us but getting braver. They aren't particularly easy to catch but are ok to sit on my lap for a bit & get weighed etc once I've caught them. I haven't given them free roam of the hall yet as I think it might be a challenge to catch them again & I don't want to scare them. We will go on with baby steps & hopefully they can have some good racing around time in the hall soon.

Perry is on the left and Austin on the right in both pics. Austin has the darker nose & ears.

shiny
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat May 11, 2013 1:49 pm

So last weekend the Snow Pigs Perry & Austin got to go out in the run on the grass for the first time ever in their lives - they took to it well:

Perry

Austin

They are such lovely, happy boys.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat May 11, 2013 2:25 pm

They are awfully cute!

shiny
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:27 am

Here is a picture of my beautiful Pippy-Mouse having a very relaxed & cosy sleep in the corner of his newly cleaned out cage on Saturday - I couldn't resist taking the pic of his cute little feet!

And here are the Snow Pigs Austin (back) & Perry (front) who are getting so settled & relaxed now they have been here a few weeks - such lovely boys.

21 posts