My adventures in fostering

Lovemypigs
Supporter in '17

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:12 pm

What you are doing is amazing and this is going to be a great thread to keep reading!! Winky is one of my favorites...

I would love to have the space and means to do something similar and maybe one day, way in the future it will happen. For now, it will be good enough to read about your rescued piggies.

Thank you for what you are doing!!!!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:12 pm

I am so sorry about Molly. I hope your proactive plan works and the next pig in the same shape is given a real chance and not just left untreated.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:53 am

Poor Molly. Thank you for showing her love in her last few hours.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:19 am

Rest in peace, Molly. I'm glad you were warm and nose-rubbed for a little while.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:37 am

Thank you everyone, I feel so fortunate to be able to have the time and space to do this! The best part is getting updates from their new families!

Here are some photos of Ginger (formerly Rita) with her new BFF Butterscotch. Gingers new family is awesome and she is living the life of a queen!

Breadfan4

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:01 pm

It's so sad that Molly was left like that, but wonderful that she knew love and kindness in her final hours.

jeapa

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:43 pm

I cried when I read your story about Molly. Bless you for doing what you can to save these piggies.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 am

I have to tell you a cute story. I have a ramp and loft in Leo and Winkys cage (actually all their cages), it's only about 4 grids high. When I clean their cage, every few times I take the loft out to get underneath easier. The pigs love to go up the ramp and jump off when the loft is out. I don't know if they're just curious where it went or if it's like a diving board for them. It's low enough I don't worry plus I'm right there scooping anyway.
Well Leo won't let Winky go up the ramp when the loft is out. It's like he's protecting him. I'm guessing its cause he's a baby but maybe Leo knows Winky can't see and he's afraid he doesn't know the loft is gone. I've watched Leo do it several times, at first I thought he was just being bossy but now I think he's being protective. He just blocks the ramp with his whole body and nudges Winky back down.
How cute is that?!?!
I love them.

Winky is up to 372 grams now! Leo is 1212 grams :-)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:13 am

That is cool, Ibepatience! Sounds like protective behavior to me too.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Meet Spartacus! I'm fostering him for LAGPR while he recovers from what the think is scurvy. He's the sweetest thing and a very big dude! He doesn't have good use of his back legs and kinda wobbles when he walks.

image by ibepatience, on Flickr

image by ibepatience, on Flickr

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:46 pm

He is awfully cute! I hope he finds a great home! (and how lucky he is to be with you right now!!)

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:56 pm

Oh I just wanna snuggle with him for hours! Hes so sweet and calm! I just posted a scurvy question and video in the medical section. He walks much worse than I thought he would.