My adventures in fostering

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:12 pm

We decided on names for the two new foster girls, the white Abby is Daisy and the chocolate girl is Hayden but we call her hippo. She looks like a tiny hippo.

Great news!! I was asking my rescue boss what to do with Eli, Ginny's male baby because he was turning 3 weeks on Monday the 23. I asked her if I could put him with Leo and Winky or Spartacus temporarily until he gets placed so he's not alone after being separated from his mom. She decided to ask LAGPR if we (OCCH) could just keep him and pair him with Eli permanently and she said yes!! Spartacus loves his baby. Eli was in shock at first, it was very hard to take him from his mom and put him with this big ol dude but it seems to be working and it had to be done.

Here is Sparty and his baby boy Eli

image by ibepatience, on Flickr

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Here are some better pictures of Hayden and Daisy. They are beautiful!!

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:36 pm

Introducing, Hope!

Hope was rescued from the OC shelter on December 23. She had been surrendered there by her a-hole owner who named her Mistake. When I saw her picture and that horrible name I asked if I could foster her. One of our awesome volunteers pulled her Monday and brought her to me yesterday, Christmas Eve.

She is young, probably only about 3-4 months old and the most beautiful taupe and white color. She is very sweet but very frightened. We tossed a few names around, it was very important to me that she had a name that showed how special she was instead of the horrible name they gave her, but as soon as we saw her in person we knew her name had to be Hope.

She doesn't seem to know what to do with veggies, I tried spring mix lettuce, a baby carrot and an orange slice but she wasn't interested. She has nibbled on her pellets and seems to like her hay. Today I saw her on top of her wooden house, I think she's starting to relax :-)

I love her.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:22 am

Oh my gosh. Hope is a befitting name for her :-)
All of your fosters are gorgeous!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:01 am

Hope is such a beautiful name for her, and I agree, all your fosters look wonderful. I especially liked the photo of Sparty and Eli and Hayden's chocolate colouring came out really well in the photos.

Breadfan4

Post   » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:17 am

That is beyond an awful name that that horrible person gave her, and Hope is fully befitting her. What a sweet little face!

Noellium

Post   » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:25 pm

I love your new foster girl and such a great name she has now. Can't believe anyone would name their pet Mistake. At least she got to spend the holidays in a safe place, surrounded by lots of love!

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:54 am

Oh my gosh I'm so behind, so much has happened!

On December 29 we were on our way home from visiting friends in Northern California. It's about a 10 hour drive and about 7 hours in I was checking my email when one came through about two females at the Castaic shelter. I guess it's a bad one so everyone was asking if anyone could take them. Finally Guinea Gang said they could if someone could pull and transport. I asked my husband where Castaic is and he said it was about 15 minutes up the road. He said we could stop and get them so we pulled off, filled out some paperwork and they even let us take the pet store cage they were surrendered in! Good thing cause we didn't have carriers! They were two BIG gorgeous girls! I named them Dottie and Lu-Lu after my grandmothers. They only stayed the night but it was long enough to see how sweet they were!

Here's Dottie and Lu-Lu

photo.JPG by ibepatience, on Flickr

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:13 am

Sweet names for 2 sweet looking sows.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:53 am

They were very sweet. I can't believe they actually lived in that tiny pet store cage, I didn't weigh them but I bet they were 3lbs each! They were surrendered because of a divorce, luckily they only spent a few hours at the shelter. Now they're looking for a forever home through Bunny Bunch / Guinea Gang.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:08 am

January 4 Winky's hormones went into overdrive and he decided to challenge Leo for dominance. I watched for a while as they circled, chased, Winky mounted, teeth chattering and lots of rumbling. There was some fluffing up and rearing up, all things that say "fighting is next" so I separated them. At that point I figured they'd work it out but I was leaving for the day for an adoption event OCCH was having and I couldn't chance them alone.

Hope was adopted by a pre-approved adopter (we don't do same day adoptions) who was adding her to his herd. He also adopted Bonnie (remember Bonnie from Bonnie and Clyde? - I pulled them months ago!) they joined his 4 very well cared for ladies living in a castle of a 3x6 C&C cage he is working on expanding. Awesome guy, very knowledgeable!

Daisy and Hope were adopted by a sweet young woman who came in and snuggled them.

Ginny Jeany (Andi) and Peyton went to another foster home because her fosters are being adopted this week and the adopters live close to me and about an hour from her, so we switched. This is Oreo and Cookie Dough.

While we were there one of the fosters brought in 3 babies born into the rescue just under 3 weeks ago. One of them looked just like my Stewart!!!
Instant love.

He went home with another foster to be paired up with her hard to pair male fosters.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:24 am

That night after the adoption event I tried putting Leo back with Winky back together. There was no more fighting behavior but Winky relentlessly chased and mounted Leo and Leo looked panicked so I separated them. Leo's heart is not strong enough for that kind of stress. For now he is living in my room in a 2x3 and seems very calm and content.

Winky on the other hand is heartbroken. He's lost without Leo and since he's blind I know he really relied on him. He started bumping into things like I've never seen him do, he's in a panic. I held him as much as I could and let him run in the girl pig room (pig proofed room where the girl cages are) for company.

I knew we had to find him a friend and I could not stop thinking about the little PEW baby. I ran it by my rescue boss and she said go for it!