The Three Little Pigs and the Big, not so Bad, Cuy!

Threepigsnacuy

Post   » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:26 pm

I know I haven't been on this forum for very long (hope you all aren't too annoyed with me just yet) But I have been dying to tell you guys the stories of my piggies! I am not the greatest writer, but I think I will ask the piggies to help me write anyway. Before I start telling you about the lives of my current pigs, I thought would tell you about the start of my journey into pig enslavement. Here goes nothing!

The First Pig
A long, long time ago, when I was a young teenager, I wanted a hamster. My parents had something against hamsters, so on my birthday, I received my first guinea pig. He was a teddy, and I named him Stripe because of the stripe down his nose.
I had had Stripe for almost a month when my mom came to me and told me we needed to get another guinea pig as piggies are social creatures.(atleast we got that right) So the next day, we drove to our local petco (shudder) to get our piggy a friend.
To be continued

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Stripe is awfully cute.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:47 am

Yes, he is adorable!

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:20 am

Yes, he is. Looks like a skunk. Or a badger :)

Threepigsnacuy

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:36 am

Thanks, he is adorable. I miss him so badly.

Anyways, when we got to Petco, (shudder again) I picked out an adorable black piggy with a brown nose stripe. Meet Joey!
Joey and Stripe always got along perfectly. They loved each other so much. I can't say I am proud of the conditions they were kept in, we fed them alfalfa pellets, and they were kept in a small cage, but they were deeply loved and well cared for in the means that we let them out often, their cage was kept clean, and they always had water/food. I wish I could go back in time and do the proper research, but the past is the past and I can't change it.
I miss my original pair.
More piggy tales to come tomorrow.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:39 am

Joey reminds me a little of my late Pippin: http://cerridwin.org/jane/pig2nd.jpg

Threepigsnacuy

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:55 am

I did used to call Stripe "skunk". I also called him "double stuf" because he looked like an extremely overstuffed Oreo as he was white with a black bottom and head.
He does look like Pippin. Although you can't see it in the picture, Joey did have some brown stripes on his sides as well.

Threepigsnacuy

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:37 pm

So I suppose will continue this story for the 3 of you that are actually reading. Warning, sad. Sorry there are no picture, I have to search for some of my old boys.
Mites
So months came and past, and our poor little stripe began to lose hair and itch a lot. We quickly researched what it could be, and decided that mites fit the symptoms. We took our stripe to the vet and were prescribed ivermectin. After treating both our pigs, the itching and hair loss began to clear up. That was our first experience with mites.

I love you Joey
My piggies, even then, meant everything to me. I took them out to play everyday, I cleaned their cage often, I snuggled them and told them I loved them. One day, I lifted up the pigloo in the cage, and found a horrible sight. My poor Joey boy was not right, one side of his body was losing hair, his eye was closed, and his legs on that side were weak and limp. He was still alive, stripe was standing over him, guarding him. I suspect he had a stroke. I lifted him out of the cage, and went straight to the vets. They said there was almost nothing to do, he was too far gone, the kindest thing would be to PTS. I didn't want to make that decision, but I knew it was best for my boy. I will never forget you Joey, you are a wonderful piggie and I love you.

Stripe took Joey's passing very hard, and we decided it would be good to get him a new friend. So, later, I drove to petco (again? What was I thinking?) annnd...

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:49 pm

There are plenty of people reading. So keep going.

Threepigsnacuy

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:55 pm

Haha, ok! Sorry it's not too exciting yet, I can't find too many pictures of my old boys even though I have tons.

Brambles

Post   » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:38 am

I love Stripe's pattern! Very appropriate name... and sorry to read about Joey.

Threepigsnacuy

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:07 am

Meet Cookie
So I went to petco and came back with a tri-colored baby boy, who I named Cookie.
Cookie was very small when I got him, but he soon grew to be a huge boy. He also got on very well with stripe, though not as well as Joey had. It was during Cookie's time that I started to research proper piggy care. I found out that the SuperPet cage that I was using was way too small, at a measly 4.75 sq. ft. I had bought a second cage of the exact same dimensions when I bought Cookie, so I took the two SuperPet cages and combined them, so I had a total of the very minimum 7.5 sq ft. I also started giving the pigs timothy hay in unlimited amounts, instead of the handful a day thing I had done previously.