Dudies in Venezuela

Brambles

Post   » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:06 am

Absolute cutest behavior from Mammoth this morning! I always give both of them a quick brush while my computer is starting up, to minimize the hair left in the washing machine and to make them get used to me.

When I put the brush aside, Mammoth started licking and nibbling my fingers. I moved away to type something, but he reached for my hand and put his little paws firmly on it while I tried to calm him down. More licking and nibbling, untill after about 5 minutes, he put his little head down in my hand and fell asleep. The picture woke him up.

I never know if the licking is out of care of for the salt. Maybe I should get a salt stone to see the effect? I don't know: I read mixed opinions about salt stones... and I have the impression Mammoth allready has heart difficulties. I wouldn't want to increase them.

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:14 am

Perhaps the brushing stimulated his desire to groom, or he is returning the favor. Personally I think that he enjoyed his brushing session!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:15 am

Ditto Crazy4me. And I wouldn't give him salt. GPs don't need it, and GPs with heart problems really don't need it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:52 am

Adorable indeed!!!

clairey

Post   » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:10 am

I have a theory that it must be piggy manners to reciprocate when someone or somepig grooms you well. Robert does the exact same thing. He only grooms me when I'm combing him or just after. It's nice to be appreciated, isn't it? :)

Brambles

Post   » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 am

Thanks! He's holding my hand so firmly, it's really too cute!

I hope it's about giving love & care back. He enjoys haircuts and massages through his curls in the same way, and in general when you're sweet to him is very quick to give some love back, also to Bizonte. My boyfriend and I just present our finger or hand to him, and he'll go at it. He's such an easy and loving piggie!

Thanks for confirming about the salt stone. Mammoth has some health issues: he has one back leg he doesn't have full control over, and when he's not handled well his breathing increases heavily. It's never been critical, so the mandatory vet check-up keeps getting pushed back. Also, I don't really trust vets here... or the medication they would prescribe. There's a lot of fraud going on.

Brambles

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:27 pm

The weather has been a bit erratic lately but February is there so...

... it's mango season again. Even if Mammoth never showed Bizonte how to eat a full mango, it's still intruiging, and there must be a way to get through the icky outer to reach the yummy inside. Hmm... to find a plan!

Mango trees are so generous. They're everywhere on the street, in gardens and in parks. But there are so many predators, so Mammoth watches out: better send out Bizonte to test for falcons!

Venezuela's nature is so beautiful and plentiful: the mango looks nice, smells nice and probably tastes nice. It could also be a trap, so good scouting is in order.

Bizonte seems to have made it... and found someone to cut it into pieces for him! It must be his pretty flowing hair...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:02 pm

Oh, mangoes can be so lovely!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:38 am

If you looked as cute as Bizonte or Mammoth, I'm sure it's not difficult to have a slave do your every bidding.

I love mangoes as well and just careful about the pigs eating the skin as some gave her pigs mangoes and ended up with a fatal case of bloat (however, this was a non-cavy owner, and enough said).

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:17 am

Oh, such incredible sweeties!!!

Brambles

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks guys!

Mangoes are great, in dry season I bring home two or three a day, and not only for the piggies. They get a piece or two each. Bizonte sure was puzzled by the full mango though. When the manga tree next to my house has fruits I'll have him pose with that.

Thanks for the bloat warning, GP_Mum! I didn't know that. In Venezuela countryside people eat the mango full, with the peel. It's pretty bitter though so we usually peel it, and if not, my pickie piggies leave the peel behind. I should be grateful at their food taste!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:18 pm

Mangoes have an extremely high amount of sugar so I would use it as a treat only.

Note the sugar content here:
www.guinealynx.info/.html