Three Cavies in a Boat

Kimera

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:46 pm

I'd like to say hello to all Guinea Lynx forum users. I feel as if I know you, because I have been reading the forum regularly for years. For a time I have also been exchanging e-mails with Lynx. I must say that Guinea Lynx site and forums have been enormously helpful to me and my fellow cavy lovers in Poland.
I am a member of a guinea pig rescue organization in Poland, and our group uphelds the same values as you. We have been active for seven years, although only for five years as a registered formal association. We do not have a rescue as a building, we operate only as a network of foster homes all over the country, and coordinate actions mostly by internet. We have a webpage and a forum with a funny name of Caviarnia. It is a sort of a pun, referring both to the name Cavia porcellus and to the Polish word "kawiarnia" (the two words are pronounced the same in Polish), which means "a cafe".
So it is an internet cafe, where guinea pig lovers can talk about their favourite animals.
I have three boars of my own, and currently I foster two young guinea pigs. Only two, because usually I have more fosters or guests for holidays, so I usually have about eight to ten cavies in my apartment.
I have three very nice male cavies, two peruvians and one semi-long haired piggie. The almost smooth haired one is my original piggie, the oldest (he is seven), and my favourite. His name is Bobczysław but I call him Bobek or Bobcio. It means "Famous for his beans", of course, beans as poop :). So he is my "glorious bean maker" or just "little bean".
My other original piggie died a little more than a year ago of kidney failure. His name was Puszek or Pusio (Fluffy) and he was also a smooth, semi-long haired tri-colour (TSW) cavy. He was around seven, when he died.
The older peruvian is a large, heavy, mostly agouti coloured boar. I suppose he could be around five, but he doesn't show any signs of aging, besides the beginnings of osseous choristoma in his eyes. He is gentle and laid back, just as the other two, but I think he is not all there :). He is definitely not the brightest bulb in the drawer, but he makes it up by being quite gorgeus. His original name was Amant, which means "a gorgeous guy/a hunk/a lover", but now I call him simply Kudłaty, which means Shaggy.
My third piggie, the youngest one, is about a year old, and his hair is soft and silky. His name is - don't laugh - Kurczak, which means Chicken! He was my foster and at first I didn't know what to call him. I got him around Easter as a possibly two month old piggie, and his hair was incredibly disheveled. It was still pretty short, every strand of different lenght and growing in a different direction. He looked like a partially plucked chicken, although he was in a good shape and had no really bald areas. He was as funny and ugly as a guinea pig can be. My Bobcio loved him from the first sight, and since I saw that he was feeling lonely without his old time pal, Pusio, and Kudłaty was evidently not as much fun, I decided to keep Kurczak. Few months later Kurczak's hair grew long and finally he started to look more like a regular guinea pig. He has a curiously small head and large, stick-up ears, like an elephant :).
The fosters are six month old PEWs. They could be called himi wannabes, because their ears are grey rather than pink, and some of their paws are also a shade darker. PEWs are, unfortunately, not favoured by most people, and it is very difficult to find homes for them. To make things worse, these two, Raban and Rumor (loosely translated as Rumpus and Noise) are very skittish and not very fond of petting. They have been living with me for four months and nobody has wanted to adopt them yet. However, we do not lose hope :).
My own piggies are free-rangers, that is they have a C&C cage, almost always open, and the fosters live in a 6 x 2 grids C&C. Coroplast is expensive and not very easy to get, so I use only fleece with a litterbox, and incontinence pads. I also sew cosy saks, cuddle cups and fleece tunnels for my own piggies and the piggies of my friends on the forum.
I will post pictures later.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:48 pm

Pictures are required!

Thank you for providing a rescue for these little guys.

Kimera

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:37 pm

I forgot to explain the title! I live in Łódź, a city which name translates as "a boat".
These are my current fosters.

And this is Kudłaty.
Kurczak with Kudłaty.
Younger Kurczak
And finally, Bobcio.
This was Pusio.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Very cute!

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Welcome. Thank you for providing a foster home for these lovely looking pigs. As well as 3 of my own I also foster. It's so rewarding to be able to help get them back on the road to recovery.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Your pictures are great! So glad you introduced yourself to the board. It takes someone with dedication to foster and help guinea pigs needing homes.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:16 pm

I have to add Poland to my pignapping world tour. They are very cute.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:48 pm

How lovely to meet these handsome piggies from Poland. The fosters are adorable as well.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:32 am

Welcome to the board! Your piggies are all gorgeous!!!

GPIG

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:12 am

They are all cute - give them all a buzi, hope my polish translates correctly - I think that's what my grandmother used to say to us

Kimera

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:27 am

GPIG - yes, you've remembered it right!
Some more pictures from the previous years:

Pusio was so pretty and cute, he featured in Caviarnia calendars for a few years in a row.
This also Bobcio, he is red on one side and mostly black and white on the other.

piggycosy

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:45 am

They're lovely. :)