Chock and Spike

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:47 am

No criticism, I was just wondering. I switched to fleece largely because of how much substrate was costing me! And also because of how much of it ended up on my floor!

Maddy_harper

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:33 pm

I am quite lucky n not having pigs that kick out their substraight.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:03 pm

I was using Carefresh, but it IS messy and expensive, so I switched to fleece. Since I've built them big cages on the floor, I don't use choroplast; I put bath rugs on the floor, a couple (or more) layers of fleece and felt/uhaul, then one big piece of fleece on top. just pull the piece of fleece up around the sides and in some places I clip it to the grids. I'd LIKE to use the choroplast around the edges, I even bought some, just don't know how to cut it to fit. My eyes and hands aren't the best. The fleece+ gets mounded between the 2 cages a little and I put large cardboard or choroplast pieces between the grids and the room walls. It's not comfortable to clean, but then the smaller cages weren't either and they weren't on the floor. This way is best for the little ones and they love them, so... I change each cage either every 4-5 days (Scatter & Flossie) or every 3-4 days (Peek, Fuzzbutt & VeBee) or when the cage starts to smell. I don't mind smelling hay, but barnyard scented house is NOT on my list of favorite perfumes, lol.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:18 pm

au de bore isnt the nicest of smells is it... I have two boys and they smell kinda musky but their wee really smells something terible. Specially now summer s here n u k.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:24 pm

Washington is having an extra hot & dry year, which is good & bad. We've been having record breaking heat off and on for months. This is probably why I have to change bedding so often, lol, even though I do use A/C.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Its amazing how dirty the cage gets in such a short space of time. how are your furry family granny?. Hope your all well.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:31 pm

Its also amazing how fast the pigs claws grow in such a short space of time too come to mention it. will have to take the boys to the vet to have their claws cut as i cant do it my self. For obvious reasons.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:14 am

Given the pigs a nice run this morning. Lots of scritches and head rubs for spike today. He was being a squish for a change rather than the fidget pig he usually is. Wonder what got in to him today. they never fail to surprise me that i can say.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:24 am

Like I said, we use air conditioning. Only way I could survive. Until 4 years ago I'd been living in Juneau, Alaska. Very wet, and only sometimes dry and warm. Moving down here was just as much a shock to my system as I expected. What really shocked me though was sunshine. I couldn't remember the last time I'd seen so many consecutive sunshine days in Juneau, lol. The first year here it also seemed like it rained in the night or early morning if it was going to rain, then the sun came out full blast. Every day. LOVED it.

As for my furbabies... Since I keep the thermostat set at 68 everyone is cool and comfy. In fact sometimes I get a little chilled, but I just add a shirt with sleeves or a sweater for a few minutes. Then I'm fine. I'm prepared for the A/C to go out, too. I've got gallon jugs of water in the freezer. If needed, I tie fleece around them and set them in the cages so the babies can cool off near them.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:32 am

A bathroom tyle put in the fridge at night till next mornin gives the pigs somewhere cool to ly on. Just thought i would shair that bit of knolage. pigs are all happy again now their vital foods stocked up. Now they can just chil out for a bit. Will get them out for another run at about three ish then another one at 8 so they settle down for the night before i sleep.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:40 am

Pigs are tuckin in to a big bowl of mixed salad leaves as i write. Surprised you cant hear them munching from where you are. They pretty loud. Pigs munching salad is the best noise ever. So is the wheeks i get from them as its being prepped :)

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:02 pm

Agree completely. "Pigs eating" should be an option on white noise machines, it's so relaxing!