Moving Right Along: Snickerspants Part 6

serelixyue

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Friend saw your ultrasound picture and he was like "wow, guinea pig friends post their own human baby pregnancy ultrasounds too?" and I explained to him that to Alden, her pigs are her babies :P

clairey

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Hmm, interesting question about the heat pad. I did a human pregnancy Google since we're all mammals and while humans using hot water bottles is ok, anything that might raise the core temp - like a hot bath - is not.

I know my pigs definitely get a bit hot and bothered after lying on the pad so I think it's more to the hot bath end of the scale.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:56 pm

But if she were hot and bothered, she'd get off it, right? the question is the period in which it feels good to Cici but might be harmful to the mini-peegs.

It's never colder than 65 in their room, so I didn't think it was a big deal. But at STF's urging I gave Albert one today and all day on the pigcam I've been watching Team Snowflake plaster themselves all over it (see below). So now I feel bad for Team Top Pig.

Of course, with the spring we've been having, it'll be 94 degrees out by tomorrow morning, so this conversation will be moot.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:12 pm

One of the possible side effects of overheating during certain stages of pregnancy is feet that are turned in (contracture of tendons and/or muscles). Since it's likely to warm up by tomorrow, I think I'd just drape some fleece over that hidey to hold in some heat, and wait on the weather to improve.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Ewww. Okay, that's that then!

clairey

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:17 pm

Hmm, you'd think she'd get off. Stephen is so into the warmth that he's prone to lying on the pad too long. He gave me quite the scare lying sprawled on his side in the middle of the cage looking like he'd had some sort of episode. When I picked him up to check, he was just far too hot. Now I triple wrap it in fleece so less heat gets through.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:33 pm

Warming the room might be safer. If they have some dry fleece to lay on, that is very very warm and safe too.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Love the picture of Team Snowflake enjoying their warm cuddle cups.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:37 pm

It is cute. Here are other cute pictures (3 stolen from STF's rescue page).

Dad? or litter-mate?

Little brother #1

Little brother #2

And, of course, Cici herself, enjoying some alfalfa pellets.

clairey

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:46 pm

The boys are all gorgeous too. I like the middle one best. Something about the sweep of his unicorn horn.

I know a lot of it will be hair but Cici's head already looks really small!

All still harmonious with her new partner in crime? How's her skittishness coming along? She looks happy enough to eat out of the cage which is quite something for a newbie.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:53 pm

She IS small! She has a big ol' gut, which may or may not be because of the babies, but her head and her front half and her little feet are just tiny little things. She's got to be at least old enough for her mother to have had a second litter after her, but it may not be much more than that.

Things appear to be going well on Team Top Pig. This morning I handed Snickers his carrot through the bars as I always do and then realized I was going to have to open the cage to hand one to Cici because she hadn't run right up to the bars like everybody else. In the time it took me to have that thought and actually do the action, she had already chased him down. He had his face in the corner and was eating faster than usual and making what can only be called a whining noise, which stopped as soon as I gave Cici her own carrot.

And yeah, she's weird on the holding/cuddles/skittishness too. She doesn't like being caught and is kind of constantly ready to bolt, which is why I thought maybe the tub would be better than just holding her. She jumps a little when I move too quickly. But she was happy to eat for about 10 minutes, including the entire carrot -- and after years with me Ouiser was still not thrilled about eating out in the open. And she let me gently give her a nose rub while she ate, too, without appearing petrified. I think once she gets used to us she might actually not be that skittish at all.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:51 pm

CiCi's brothers are both gorgeous and looks like she has the least crazy fur in the family. She sounds like my girl - hates getting caught but once out on my lap, will sit and enjoy her vegetables. I've found taking her out daily is helping and she's less tense when I go to get her out.

Continued best wishes for an uneventful pregnancy. I can only imagine Cici's babies will be adorable, just looking at the family photos.