Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:40 pm

(Im)patiently waiting! *foot tap*

SwtMelly

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:43 pm

Tee hee. ;-)

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:50 pm

This morning I found Snickers asleep in a hay-nest he'd made. He woke up when I tried to take a picture of the Hay Hat of Boredom he was wearing.

I told him he should perk up, that a special surprise was piggy-training its way to him this afternoon. He said "Snacks?" and ran around in circles.

This is where we take a commercial break to thank Slavetofuzzy and SwtMelly, each of whom drove hours today to do a piggy handover at a midpoint between here and Charleston, SC. Slavetofuzzy can tell us more about where this batch of pigs came from (and I wish she would, for posterity!), but Melly has had these pigs for a couple of weeks now, and since Ouiser started doing really poorly we've been thinking about putting this fine lady in with the Top Pig. Melly has been calling her Claudia in honor of a friend's pet who recently passed away.

(And may I just add that I met this lady's father/brothers/baby daddies, and they are ADORABLE, one is a texel and two are silkies.)

After much anticipation, we placed the Top Pig and his potential new lady-friend in a neutral pen with entertainment and sat back to watch the hostilities. And... there weren't any.

Snickers said "Hey! I'm the top pig!"
The pig called Claudia said "Hey! Wassup!"

Then they set about their important business. She hid and he looked for her...

Then he hid while she didn't look for him...

Then they tried out their Pairs Eating routine...

I should also add that SwtMelly's reports had been that Claudia is skittish and shy. I was worried about this, because Snick is a bit of a bully, and needs a roommate with some backbone who won't take his crap. But Melly had Claudia solo (in what was probably a too-late attempt to avoid hanky-panky with her male relatives) and hadn't seen her interact with other pigs.

At this point, I noticed a piece of uneaten green pepper in the carrier our little lady came in. I broke it in half and handed half to Snick and half to Claudia, who was about a foot away. She looked at it, then looked over at Snickers... and went for it. I didn't get the action shot, but this is close enough.

They did some tugging but she won! Snickers noticed her abandoned piece and sadly took it, and mere seconds later she was back for that too. Poor Snickers had to wolf it down at 3x speed, whining while he ate, as she tried to figure out how to get it out of his mouth. This made me very happy. I think she'll fit right in. :)

More importantly, Snickers seems to think so. After a while I placed them in a nice clean cage (bottom level, because I thought it might help with the skittishness and getting used to a new house). She immediately began inspecting the amenities. Snick... flopped down and did a saxxy leg.

So now we just have to feel out the name business. I'd love to keep Claudia in honor of someone else's loss, but I was also thinking Clairee in honor of my own recent loss. So right now it's looking like Clairee Claudia (or Claudia Clairee, I guess) and a general name of C.C.

And yes, we are worried that she has small head disease. I'm well aware of all the reasons I should hope that she doesn't, but, ZOMG is part of me excited about that.

So that's our busy day!

CavyHeart

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:58 pm

Oh, my goodness! Welcome, C. C. ! She's a very lucky girl! Three cheers for all of you who worked so hard to get her to her new home, too. I love reading about all of your guinea pigs, and I've been so sad to hear of Ouiser's passing. I'm glad you've found someone for The Snick who is doing so well! (Plus, although I've never met a guinea pig I didn't like, if I had to pick just one favorite, it'd be a Silkie.)

Huzzah! :)

clairey

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:09 pm

*Big grin* Look at Snickers and his leg! I knew she'd have none of his nonsense. Boars are putty when it comes to lady-pigs, it seems.

I'm chortling at her name.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:21 pm

He moved his head when he saw me coming closer -- and I didn't get very close, so this picture is crap. But... could this finally be the roommate who lets Snickers cuddle??

clairey

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:25 pm

I just did a literal jaw-drop.

I don't want to say much in case of jinxing but the signs are GOOD.

tashab

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:38 pm

Oh, hooray! C.C. is very pretty, and I hope she has avoided catching small-head disease.

Breadfan4

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:40 pm

C.C. is very pretty and I hope her and the Snick are happy together!

SwtMelly

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Fantabulous result! I've been busting a gut to keep the secret. So glad Snicky is happy with his new wife. Thank you Lisa and Alden.

Background:
I received a call from a local Charleston cat/dog rescue about a month ago asking if I could help with six guineas they had intercepted at the SPCA. Apparently a scumbag woman was trying to 'get rid' of these guys but refused to pay the surrender fee. The rescue volunteer was there picking up a couple of Dogs and overheard her say that she was going to just dump them in the woods. She followed her out to the lady's (brand new, still wil dealer tags) car and said she would take them rather than them being dumped.

This is when I was called. Apparently I have a rep around the rescues as being the guinea pig lady. So same day I get the call and have the cage of pigs dropped off at my office. Dad, son and daughter (Claudia) from older litter, and two more baby boys and a baby girl from a very recent litter were in a tiny cage, no hay, filthy wet cedar bedding, and wait for it....CAT FOOD! Sadly the momma pig had died after having the second litter.

I immediately put them on the back seat, took the cage and dumped out the contents, and put in a fleece blanket I had in the car. Drove directly to the nearest grocery store and got them a big salad.

I am so grateful to Lisa and AMGPR for taking the boys. I will foster the little baby girl on pregnancy watch and until her pups are weaned if she is pregnant.
Last edited by SwtMelly on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.