Everyone Will Always Remember A Little Fairy

JaneDoe

Post   » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Can you please post that one again, Mildred?

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:02 pm

Um, it is really hard posting a photo when you can't look at the screen as you do so.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Eeee! What beautiful, happy girls.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Thank you, Mildred. Are your eyes ok? I think the three girls are Fairy, Marigold and Matilda. She sure was a big girl!

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:21 pm

It is Sunday evening. There's hasn't been a single Sunday night when I haven't thought about dear, lovely, pudgy Bear, who left us a year ago THIS Sunday.

I don't much like Sunday days.

TWO weeks ago today we almost lost Flo. She had already been ill for a week. With the help of the vet we found she had a very bad inner ear infection when we investigated why she wasn't eating her usual big bowl of salad or hay.

On that particular Sunday she was listless, couldn't walk, wouldn't eat and honestly looked as though we wouldn't even make it to see the vet to help her out her misery.

While we were at the vets, and as Daphne drew the needle ready to relieve her, Flo shook her head, looked up in disbelief, and started to wriggle on the table! A huge, almost solid dollop followed by a load of gunk oozed out her left ear! The vet suggested we persevere with the Bayrtil which we had started the week before.

Monday saw some improvement but on Tuesday we were back at the listless stage, back at 'death's door'. On Wednesday the vet tried to drain her ear to help relieve the obvious pressure all the goo was causing under anaesthetic.

The drain didn't happen. It seems the minute Daphne gave her a whiff of gas, Flo stopped breathing and it took all their expertise to bring her back from the brink. She came home that evening and we all thought that would be that, there was little hope she would survive the night.

But survive she did! I spent all Thursday morning trawling the internet to see what we could do for her. I came across several cases where guineas had been treated with the anti biotic Zithromax. Back to the vet, they didn't stock it but obtained it for us the next day.

And, guess what? It WORKED! There was an improvement after the second dose and just a few days later Flo was very much back to normal!

And THIS Sunday, here she is - all in perfect health, apart from now being totally deaf. She is as bossy as ever, and as greedy as . . . well, as a hungry piggy!

From every angle . . .

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:37 pm

What a beautiful girl. Glad she's better.

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:49 pm

Such heart stopping moments!! So glad the end result was a happy one.

What a beautiful little big girl!!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Poor Flo! I'm so glad she's better!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:04 pm

I'm so glad the antibiotic worked! Ear infections can be quite serious. I hope that is the last she sees of that problem!

CavyConfusion
Cavy Slave since '05

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:09 pm

I'm so glad that Flo is feeling better.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:20 pm

Dear, sweet bear. I always love to see pictures of Bear.

How scary about Flo! I'm glad this Sunday is a good one. What a miracle. And she's quite a beauty. I'm sure being deaf will not be a problem for her with all your experience.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:07 pm

Thanks!

I wonder if it would be worth listing the antibiotic Lynx, Zithromax (azithromycin) as being safe for guineas on the medical guide side. I could research it a little more and give examples, maybe. I am convinced we would have lost Flo if we hadn't tried it.