The crazy life of a surprise family member

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:24 pm

I am so sorry you lost her. She does indeed sound like a special guinea pig.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:31 am

I am so sorry you lost your beloved fur baby. So glad she passed in the comforting arms of your eldest. She is now running and popcorning at the bridge munching on the green grass. Waiting for the day you can be together again. In the meantime she is telling everyone how lucky she was to be loved and cared for by you and your family. RIP wee one till you meet again. Sending big hugs.

Ginasgrandmom

Post   » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks everyone. She was definitely the one who ran the house. The oddest part was walking by her cage and not seeing her eating her hay while watching the computer. And her mommy kitty is slowly getting better. The oldest has informed Ryzen that he isn't going to let that happen to her.

Speaking of Ryzen, she is so different from Gina. She has already declared her favorite place is to hide under our hair by our necks. So, she is shy right now. Once you get her to stay on your lap, she just sprawls out. But, you better have dark colors on or it isn't happening. Expect to stay put as long as she wants too. This girl is in charge.

Another difference is that we have a climber. Where Gina was ready to just zoom across rooms until she got to a step, Ryzen decided to try to figure how to get higher.

Molly got introduced to Ryzen. She was sniffing her box, but refuses to look in. The oldest told her to not hurt her and she got upset and ran off. This morning, she watched from afar and then wanted more petting and even cuddle. We are going to watch and see how they interact because of how sad Molly has been.

As I said, we have to wait a couple weeks for her partner in crime. A big part is room. When Ryzen thinks we aren't paying attention, she starts running around and enjoying the space she has. We are currently trying to convert the former air hockey table to a cage for both girls. So, we only have the cage for one and don't want to have them share it or put one in the travel carrier. Hence the wait.

Ginasgrandmom

Post   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:09 am

Ryzen is becoming quite a personality. She isn't loud, but she is constantly chattering about anything. She still prefers black on anything. She has a new favorite blanket, which is black and furry, for when she is having lap time. So, everyone is careful sitting near it because she blends in except the eye. It seems that I have yet to get a good picture of her on it too.

I saw somewhere that someone else has a car rider. We have found out she loves them. Her head perks up every time she hears a car slow near our place (common since it is by a hill and curve) and runs to the door to see if she can get in. The carrier we have she jumps into and starts doing little zoomies even as we carry it to the car. I think this is going to help with her first well visit to the vet this week.

Since we have discovered how much Ryzen loves her heights, I've given up on figuring out how to convert the table to my liking. Instead, we measured it and discovered we could safely put a 2X4 c&c on it and have it enclosed. That was my biggest issue anyway and once I decided to make it a double layer (if Ryzen thinks she can climb it, she does), I just didnt feel confident enough to do it on my own. So, now we wait. And, yes, Ryzen helped pick her cage colors. We did tell her she needed SOME color though. When the cage is done, I will add pics of her (maybe her partner too) then.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:36 pm

You know, we need pictures!

Find a host like imgur.com and post them here!

Ginasgrandmom

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:31 pm

http://imgur.com/gallery/eoXSSb0

I hope the pics from there show up. I am doing this from my phone and am not used to the setup of it beyond basic typing.

But, Ryzen is also getting playdates with a friend of the youngest's new girl pig. This is to help the other girl learn to be a guinea herself. I am hoping it will get both girls to enjoy more veggies. My daughter is taking hay to her every day now too. Both she and the other friend of theirs keeps letting her know what she needs to do with her. I am being kept up to date on this because she is worried about her. Maybe seeing Ryzen do her hay popcorn will be good.

Ryzen can care less about pellets or veggies (I'm going to get peppers in her if it kills me.... and Molly), but grab hay and she's running to the corner and starts popcorning and wheeking. She then pulls it all down and playing with it. On the veggie front, I found the same trick I had to get Gina to try a veggie worked with her. She has to see me eating it. Yes, I have to eat it. Close to the mouth doesn't work.

As a side note, Molly is improving since Ryzen came. They will lay together and nap. Molly had started not using her litter box and didn't care to mouse after Gina as much. Within the first week, Molly is back to her litter box and offered Ryzen the first mouse she caught. And she keeps nudging peppers at Ryzen!

Tomorrow morning will be interesting. I told my friend that I get the back seat because Ryzen loves the front seat. My friend is setting up a light rock and jazz playlist for us to play. We both have black outfits to wear for her. My only worry will be if she doesn't get a clean bill. This is only because I just worry in general.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks for the pictures! Your guinea pig is very cute.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:37 am

Sounds like she is full of personality and a piggy who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to let you know! She also sounds a happy pig! I can picture her running around the carrier and making you take the back seat! A real darling and so glad she is helping your younger piggy. Keep us posted on this wonderful girl!

She is a lovely piggy! I love black piggies! She reminds me of a piggy we had called Petal! She was full of personality too! A very pretty piggy!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:13 am

She's so itty bitty! Such a cutie.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:08 am

I can't believe how well you managed to get good shots of her. My black and white is very stubborn about it. Her front is black, so all I can get are her bright little eyes.

Ryzen is a cutie and has quite the personality.

I'm glad to hear Molly is improving, as well. Nothing like a big happy family!!

Ginasgrandmom

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:04 pm

Awww, yeah we think she is cute. And she definitely has personality. GrannyJu, I've taken those shots with my phone and lots of light. I deleted any shots that I couldn't tell that she was in the picture. I've lost count how many times I hit delete before I get a picture I'm willing to accept. I need to talk the boy into taking pictures with his hand me down fancy camera.

So, Ryzen did well at her first vet visit. She wasn't scared when the dogs came to her carrier and sniffed it. We were more worried about her getting wet since it decided to rain that day. All she wanted to do was explore. They had a hard time weighing her at first because of it; she wouldn't stay still. And she was NOT getting in the bowl. They ended up having to let her just stand on the scale and wait. I guess I taught her a bad habit already with getting weighed? But she got the all clear from him and call if anything happens that needs seen. This was a good thing to hear since her partner in crime got sick while they were apart and passed away. We had them separated because of room and trying to build a new cage. So, we have someone possibly picked out, it is more a case of getting there to get her. Everyone has crazy work and school schedules and the nearest is a two hour drive. But, her "big scary boy" will already do anything for her. She has done well with her playdates with my youngest's friend's guinea pig.

We have the new cage together and she has decided that she is now practicing for the next Guinea Pig Olympics. The second day we showed her how to up and down the ramp and put her TARDIS in the corner upstairs. Well, now she runs up and down the ramp and does laps around her cage a half hour at a time every day. And don't try to pick her up during training sessions, screaming will happen. She has been on her natural carefresh bedding for now, but we just received fleece bedding today.

She only likes fresh picked parsley and basil. Grocery store versions get a firm turn up and toss away. We still can't get peppers in her. Does anyone think that the pellets would have enough or should I break down and buy gloves to hand her strawberries and kiwi for C? I worry I am overreacting, but maybe the added girl will help. That is, if the other one will eat it either.

Last, I swear that Molly knows when my phone is dying and needs charged. She decided this morning that Ryzen needed a bath and proceeded to try to groom her while Ryzen started wheeking at her. Molly ended up slumping away when Ryzen turned towards her and went towards her. And Ryzen is still getting her offerings of dead mice when they come in the house. I need to get a picture of the two of them together sometimes, but Molly is camera shy.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:22 am

That is lovely she likes her new home! truly sorry for your lost! RIP little one, run free and Popcorn in paradise. Watch over your piggy slave and wheek in happiness watching your friend acting silly and funny!

Would not worry about giving her fruit all the time as not good for them. Try veggies with vitamin C or you can get vitamin C supplements. Fruits are only a sometime food. Veggies are the main diet and pellets a maybe thing in their diet. Hoping this link will help you! https://www.guinealynx.info/diet_vegs.html

Can't wait to hear more about this crazy funny piglet and hoping you find a friend for her soon. I know in the USA guinea pig people do a car run. Like if you tell them where piggy is someone will pick her up, then drive somewhere on the way to someones place then they will take piggy a bit further, drop her off and drive a bit further until piggy is with you. You may wish to consider this option as a few people have done it this way! Good luck and post again soon! Loving the story of a funny piglet who has you well trained!

Cat sounds silly too. My Husbands Aunt(since passed) would catch mice but wouldn't kill them he would bring in mouse inside the house then let them go. House had loads of mice running around. So we set mouse traps and I swear one trap was going off every 5 seconds.Many mice lost their lives that night.(sorry to any mice lovers out their). (she was eldery and didn't want mice in her home and there was NO way we could catch any of them!)