One Little, Two Little, Three Little Guinea Pigs

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:03 pm

I had planned a trip back to Alaska on the 11th, but I can't leave the husband with sick pigs and a cat.
What happened to your two kittens? Hoping little fuzzy feels better real soon!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:25 pm

Maybe she means sick pigs and a sick cat? And the other kitty is fine?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:06 am

One kitten breathes funny, so the vet gave her an antibiotic shot and nose drops to be applied every other day. We forgot for most of the first two weeks, but have been giving them to her faithfully for at least 10 days now and haven't noticed any difference. We'll be taking her in later this week for another checkup. The vet seemed to think that if she didn't have a URI, then it might be a polyp somewhere in her sinus cavity. Don't know what the procedure for that would be, if any. Anyway, we'll find out. The only time we can hear it is when she's sleeping, otherwise she's as active as Pepper and tussles just as happily. Poor Sugar: first the Coccidia (almost killed her), then Ringworm and now this. They're only 6 months old.

Fuzz will also be going in to see Dr. K. I'm really worried about the area around her eye. As Lynx said, there could be something else going on. She's no longer really improving, and the hair on her lower right side is so thin, in a couple of places it's reddish instead of the normal pink. It just keeps getting thinner and thinner (over the course of some months) to the point that it's almost bare skin. I never see her biting or chewing at it and it's in a place where I don't think she can scratch it, although she *could* be biting it. As I said, the Gentizol didn't seem to have any affect. I'll try to post pictures later when the husband is up to help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Just for the heck of it, note if she sleeps on one side when she breaths funny (something relaxing and interfering with breathing) and if sleeping on the other side you don't hear it.

I have noticed my big fluffy cochin chicken breathing funny a couple times in the evening. Her full crop hangs down and I suspect something is relaxed and in the way to do this.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:23 am

Hoping Fuzzbutt gets better real soon. Was wondering where you got the Christmas Bauble from your husband gave you and you sent me one? I have a friend in Victoria who is crazy about guinea pigs and I wish to get her one for her birthday. Keep us posted on Fuzzbutt! You're doing a great job!

Don't know what the procedure for that would be, if any.
I've seen dogs have theirs trimmed under surgery maybe that is what will happen to Sugar? Keep us posted!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Yes, it would have to under general anesthesia because they'd have to get under the upper palate. We've decided to let her go until she starts having real problems breathing.

The ornament came from a local pet/plant store. If they still have any come Christmas time, I'll snag one for you and you can tell me where to send it. Can't help you until then.

Fuzz is actually getting better around the eye. Of course, I now have to flip the fleece every day, and change it out completely every 3rd day. Blankets, pads and hideys get washed every day. While still medicating every one's skin. Just when I think I have one of the babies cleared up, the crap pops back up, which is why I'm constantly doing laundry.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Just gave Fuzz a bath, so of course, she promptly poops in the towels. Not those easy to pick up poops, but the soft, mushy ones. We're going through a lot towels! She is not a happy pig. However, the manicurist will be much happier doing his job. Hope he gets home soon!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:25 pm

I do think warmth and a bath might encourage "pooping". I wish they were the nice neat sanitary ones though!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:52 am

Fuzz doesn't need an excuse to give mushy poops, I'm beginning to think that's her normal "nature". :o(

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 am

Fuzz's messier poops are passing. I've been giving her (approximately) 0.25 cc of the Bio-Sponge and I'm pretty sure that's what is helping her. I've even had some hideys NOT get messed up every night! She hasn't been at this lighter level of messiness in months. We ran out of the Bio-Sponge, so I've started the count over - 5 days, 3 times a day. If that completely clears her up, then we'll stop the Bio-Sponge to see if her poops don't stay nice and firm. Lucca at Platinum says that if necessary, Fuzz can have as little as she needs to keep the poops firm, even on a daily basis. To my amazement, Fuzz takes it like a champ, if I can get the nozzle far enough back. She's become the sweetheart I always wanted.

Although the fungus *appears* to have cleared up, I see a bit of scratching, especially Dusty, on her tummy. No missing fur, just seems like I see her do it often. And then there's the water... I'm not sure but I think she's drinking a lot more. Or playing with it and soaks the fleece below the water bottle. Actually that only happened one time and might have just been a defective cap. I changed it and have had no real "soaks" since. I still see Dusty at the bottle more often than the others. I'm watching for signs of pain or hair-pulling on her sides. If I see that, I'll know to get her into the vet ASAP to be checked for cysts.

Belle is her normal quiet, sweet self. She usually lets the others push their way into the line ahead of her, to get the Vit C tabs, so I try to make sure she's first now and then. She's just so quiet. Likes to bury herself in the hay pile. I mean *really* likes it!

I'm going to try for photos soon. Never tried a three-some but I want to, and will. Dusty is just a smidge smaller than Fuzz and you'll see the difference between her and Belle when I actually get some shots. Dusty is only a week older than Belle but Belle is a good 50-60 grams smaller than either of the other two. And no, she's not being pushed away from the food.

Thank heavens the cats are healthy! At 9.5 +/- pounds each, I hope they quit growing soon! Already nine months old!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:19 pm

Looking forward to photos. And so glad the Bio-Sponge is continuing to help!

I bet your cats are still giving you trouble ;-)

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:12 pm

GrannyJu1 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 am Never tried a three-some but I want to, and will.
Oh, my!