One Little, Two Little, Three Little Guinea Pigs

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:54 am

Catie Cavy - giggle

All 3 of my furbabies are doing well. Belle seems to get more beautiful by the day.

ImageBelle #3 3.5.18

Dusty is also very pretty, if hard to photograph.

ImageDusty #3 3.5.18

Fuzz is Fuzz - always cute.

ImageFuzz #3 4.19.16

Actually, I'm very proud of Fuzz lately. Her poops have finally firmed up *again*. She is still steadily losing weight though. Below 1000 grams now. I've been feeding her Critical Care, but there is no *force-feeding* about it. I mix it up in a small bowl (1 tbsp at a time), put it in front of her and she just sticks her head into the bowl and begins eating. She usually eats at least half of that at a time, along with all of her regular food. I'm really hoping she can at least maintain the 950-1000 gram weight. She's so bony. It's sad, comparing her weight to a year ago - 1200 or 1300 grams. She'll be 5 yrs old on Dec 2. I don't really know what to expect as far as age changes go.

Peekaboo was my oldest (adopted as an adult and I have no information of what his early life was like). He was surrendered, probably because he had lice, along with a cage mate. The pet shop refused to give me the other pig "because it's hair was falling" out and they thought it was sick. I never heard anything else about it. Anyway, I had Peek for about 5 years before I started noticing any changes. Weight loss was the first thing and then he was diagnosed with renal failure. He managed to continue in reasonably good health for months more before the vet wanted to start him on sub-q. With my shaking hands it only took him 2 days to start crying when I "made the tent", so I began to syringe feed him Pedialyte. He loved the stuff and took a 20-30 cc 3 times (or more) a day for a couple of months. I think he was about 7 when he passed.

So, other than weight loss, I don't know what to expect for Fuzz. It's about time for another checkup with the vet. I'll ask her what the future holds for my little girl.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:21 pm

Have you considered hyperthyroidism?
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... f=23&t=151

Your guinea pigs are so cute!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 pm

The vet ruled it out several months ago, but I think that was because of the "rarity" of the disease in guinea pigs. I've printed out those pages and will take them with me on our next visit.

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Fuzzbutt looks like our little Suzi. All 3 of them are very cute

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:57 am

They're all so adorable!!! Fuzz's cotton ball butt is too precious!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:20 am

Your piggies are adorable(starts swimming to the USA). I know what you mean about losing weight! Our Joy was over 1200grams back in January of this year and is now hovering around 780-830grams. We are syringe feeding her every 4 hours and she is eating 85-95% of her food. As usual the dumb vets know nothing! I envy you and your knowledgeable vets. Have noticed when she eats by herself or after a syringe feed her tummy is rock hard! Both Jan and Joy will be 6 on December 24th.
Sorry for hijacking thread! Hoping sweet little Fuzzy gets better real soon! All you can do is try to maintain weight! I will close now and start swimming, maybe the girls can pull me along?
Really cute all of them and glad Dusty and Belle have settled in well and little Fuzzy enjoys their company! Lovely photos.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:24 am

(Throws daisymay an inflatable donut.)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:25 am

I didn't realize how long it's been, but I lost Fuzz a year ago. All 5 of my original adoptees(?) are now gone. (sob)

My current 3 are Dusty, Belle, and Charli. Dusty & Belle are a little over a year old, and Charli is only about 4 months old. I could have ages of Dusty and Belle completely wrong since I can't track time anymore.

I'll try to get pics, but I have to chase everyone down (I don't give them the attention they deserve) I've been feeling so icky myself that the Mr. has been doing most of the feeding and cage care. It's not fair to him. In fact, we think he's allergic to the hay, guinea pigs, or cats because he sneezes constantly.

Anyway, I'll get pics up ASAP. And write a bit more about Charli.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:35 am

Welcome back stranger! We have all been worried about you. Hoping you feel better soon. Not sure but I think you can get injections or tablets for allergies. A lady we knew was allergic to bees and she use to get injections for 2 years until her immune system built up against them! Big hugs to you all!

Hugs about little Fuzzy. It hurts so much, something I know I never get over! Depression is also an ugly friend and one hard to get rid off!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:27 am

So glad to hear from you! Hope you feel better soon!

A friend with severe allergies was helped by using hay cubes instead of hay. I have a pig who only eats green oats, he gets hay, he never touches it. Green oats don't make me sneeze at all, like hay does.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:53 am

Welcome back! I'm not reading your post that you're the one with the allergies, but whatever the problem, I hope you feel better soon!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:57 am

So glad to see you! When people disappear from the internet, we worry! And you are our resident Bio-Sponge expert! Okay, so that's not what you want to be known as. Occasional pop-ins are to be encouraged so we know you are still okay!

I hope the allergy problem gets resolved. Your guy (husband) is a wonderful man. I am sure he brings joy into your life (when he's not pretending to have a "guinea pig sandwich").

I am very sorry to hear about your guinea pig losses and that you are feeling "icky". So many of us take our good health for granted (or even our "mostly" good health). We are all getting older and with it come more issues.

I hope you can stop by again, even if it is not for long.