One Little, Two Little, Three Little Guinea Pigs

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:04 pm

She is adorable!!!!

I predict a heart stealer (if she hasn't done so already!).

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:40 am

She is a real beauty! Hoping she and Fuzz Butt get on well together. Nice pictures of kitty cats in the background too! I love it when they fit into the palm of your hand but slippery fast little mites! Hoping Dusty brings many years of happiness.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 am

She is so cute!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:51 pm

OMG! Dusty! She's adorable & so tiny. She's got a beautiful coat.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:45 pm

Dusty has fit into the family quite well. Since Peek didn't really like any other pigs, she's spending most of her time near Fuzz. Fuzz hasn't started playing tag with her or anything, but I think she will. Especially since I've started giving her the Buprenorphine the vet gave me for VeBee. It's not everyday, and only a small dose (.15 mls) but it does seem to help her show a little more interest in life.

Sadly Peek passed away on the 12th of January. I'd had him not quite 5 years, and he was an adult already showing some arthritic changes when I adopted him. After months of giving him Pedialyte by syringe, the two of us became a lot closer. While he still ran when he saw me getting ready to pick him up, and he still tried to climb my arm once I had him, he settled down quickly when we got away from the cage. I miss him so much. He seldom, if ever, wheeked, but he was my chirper. I suppose it will be years, if ever, before I hear that again. He loved to stand on a brick and watch me as I passed back in forth in front of the doorway. He was probably hoping I was coming with more of the nummy Pedialyte or a carrot. I've taken the brick out for now. No one else is showing any interest in using it (for now). Rest in peace, little boy, until we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge.

ImagePeek in his new sleighbed 12.20.16

Dusty is indeed a little beauty. And a gray streak if she thinks we are coming for her. Or even if she doesn't, heeheehee. She has finally started taking lettuce from my hand, although once she gets it she's "gone". She's willing to come back for more, though, so I have hopes. I was going to add a new picture of her but have discovered I don't have any new ones. I'll have to correct that!

On the 19th, we added another little baby, about 2 weeks or so younger than Dusty. When Peek passed and my husband saw my tears, he asked if I wanted another baby. Ummm, duh! ;) At first, we were calling her Mocha, but after I saw her in natural light she became Belle, because she is so gorgeous. She's dark like cinnamon but has a lot more red in her coloring.

ImageBelle #2 1.21.18 23 Days old

Unfortunately, both babies are suffering from a fungal condition, not surprising since they were housed with some of the same guinea pigs. They are both being treated with Gentizol, so the nasty spots should disappear soon. They do already enjoy each other's company. Where Dusty is, you can usually find Belle.

That's it for now. I'll try to get some new pictures taken of them all. I'm really bad about remembering to take shots. The Granddaughter and her girlfriend were here for a couple of nights early this month, and although I've complained about not getting enough pictures, did I remember to take any? NO! So anyway, the babies are here day in and day out, so I should be able to get some new ones.

Hopefully, in time, I'll have some new funny stories to tell.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Pictures are always wonderful! I think you have a pretty good "guy". He sure cares about you!

Your young guinea pigs will be so much fun!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:18 am

Yes, the Mr. is definitely a keeper! I'm so glad he feels the same about me. We'll have been together 40 years in May. Wow!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:23 am

And my keeper and I have been together 42 years in February! It feels good to know you found the right guy!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 am

I'm not so sure how much of a keeper mine is, LOL, but we hit 44 years last November.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Wow!! I'd call him a definite keeper then, no two ways about it. Congrats to all.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:28 pm

I once again have a burrower! Flossie was the resident burrower, back before she died, and I've not had one since. Until I brought home Belle, who promptly taught Dusty. Now I have all three under the hay pad. I've moved the hay to hangers, but it hasn't helped much. Yesterday I gave them a stiff pad that they can crawl into/through. I don't know why the fleece tunnel isn't a more popular item, maybe it's too short. Anyway, since I gave them the pad yesterday, I've not seen a single "hole" under the hay pad. Maybe this is what I need to keep them out from under it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

As for the fungul infectons/spots, Dusty seems a lot better but Belle seems a lot worse. Dusty has one on her nose, kind of close to her eye so I'm being very careful when I put the medicine on it. She's growing hair back on the worst one on her hip. Poor Belle, it seems like I keep finding new ones every day. These spots seem painful to the touch for both babies, but especially the ones with the "scabs" on them. Or at least, they want me to think I'm killing them with the medicated q-tip.

I might be making up for it with some lettuce pieces afterward. They both take them from my hand and Dusty has started taking them from my hand in the cage. Belle, on the other hand, still won't come near me while she's in the cage and much prefers to take the lettuce from Dusty's mouth.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Refresh my memory regarding if you've also treated for mites. I am sure you know how common they are too!