One Little, Two Little, Three Little Guinea Pigs

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:58 am

Try a vitamin C supplement for the thin hair -- it worked for one of mine. I was sure she had cysts, but no. It took about a month to see significant improvement.

Without reading back, has she had metranidazole (flagyl)?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:30 am

They get Oxbow Vitamin C tabs daily (all of them), plus I give them lots of bell pepper with dinner every night. They also get the Digestive Tabs. Don't know if *they* work, but I'm willing to try anything. I have seen Fuzz hunch and whimper when passing a poop or two, a couple of times over the last six months - nothing recently.

No, I don't think she's ever had metranidazole. I'm perfectly willing to try it, if I can get the vet to give me some. Dr. K is usually pretty good about giving me what I ask for as long as I know what I'm doing with it. She is aware of the problem. I've shown her pictures of what the quilts look like after just 12 or so hours. Dr. K was interested but didn't come up with any suggestions. I'll give her a call and ask about the Flagyl.

Thanks, bpatters. This has been going on just about as long I've had her, but the poops just keep getting messier. Not runny or anything, just super moist.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 am

That's a little weird. I'd think flagyl would be the first thing they'd try with soft messy poops.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Is the stuff you mentioned, bpatters?

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/ ... catid=9621

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:03 pm

I've only seen it as a liquid preparation for small animals.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 am

Do you know where you saw it? My vet doesn't carry it and doesn't know what to do other than write me a paper scrip and let me fill it where I want/can. Is this something a regular pharmacy would carry?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:24 am

I've always gotten it from the vet.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 am

Our vet called me yesterday to tell me she found out she can have it compounded and flavored for guinea pigs. It will be shipped to her and she should have it in a week. Yayyy for Fuzzbutt (if it works). I love the pigs' vet!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Good news!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Also, when she did the skin scraping from Belle, she found a specific type of fungus. She discovered this when she went back through their file. She has changed the medication from Gentizol to "Top Miconazole Lotion". She thinks this will work better for them. Honestly, Belle is clear (for now); Dusty has 1 ear that I'm treating; poor Fuzzbutt still has it all over her left side and the crap is coming back around her eye, even though I never stopped treating the area. This time I actually feel the ridges of the edges (I think they're the edges) under her eye. I can feel the ridge in a couple of spots on her body, too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:52 pm

Keep in mind it is possible the Fuzzbutt has a combination of things going on (can be concurrent fungal and bacterial infections). We had one mystery pig with multiple issues. We never knew what worked to actually clear it up. Maybe you remember it (lots of pictures - don't know if there are any similarities for Fuzzbutt).
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... p?f=1&t=96

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:13 am

I looked at that thread and the only place on Fuzzbutt that MIGHT be similar is around her eye. I can't see the ridges because either they are black (like her hair) or they are under her hair. The vet clinic shaved around her eye so I could see where to apply the medication and that hair is beginning to grow back. The ridges are definitely there, though. I think it might be time to go back to the vet.

I had planned a trip back to Alaska on the 11th, but I can't leave the husband with sick pigs and a cat. He doesn't want to do the treatments. I can't blame him, the pigs are MY responsibility. So... I had hoped this would have cleared up by now. :o(