Pigjes' Pigs Piggadice part Pee ... oops, Three!

Maddy_harper

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:27 am

hope things are a little better now since you posted last.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:04 am

Thanks for asking!

She's doing better, but only eating some vegs on her own. Hope she will start to eat hay soon. Meanwhile, still feeding her CC regularly.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:48 am

aww good news that shes eating greens at least. Fingers crossed she starts eating hay again as that will keep her teeth from growing to much.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:31 am

In hindsight, have to say that if a pig has such a severe URI, there is an obvious need for something to strengthen the heart for a few days. I would have kept Yuyu on heart meds at least a day longer than the vet made me stop, seeing how absolutely miserable she was without them the day after, till she perked up a little. Her teeth already were overgrowing and I am certain that it was a close call.

She’s still not eating hay or green oats. Yet, every day, there is minor improvement. She already told all the pigs that she's back in for business, by showing her dominance and nipping their butt.

Will look into some natural herbs for heart enforcement in case I would be in this situation again. I have Plucky’s heart meds, but not forever.
Dandelions help, that’s easy, but in winter, I would need this in dried version of Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca).

Maddy_harper

Post   » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:55 am

hope she continues to improve.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:06 am

Update on Yuyu! She was obviously feeling great, still not eating hay or pellets, eventually not even vegs. Still, very hungry at feeding times. So, took her back to the vet on a day he said to come back with her if this happened.

Result: a detailed teeth X-ray was done. The minor start of 2 teeth growing through the bottom of the jaw was detected. Since it's caught this early, even before he could feel it from the outside, it will be fixed soon.

Learned something more: piggies take days before pain meds kick in, so she needs to be on a very strong one till the end of the week. Meanwhile, we will see if she starts eating on her own. If she does not by Monday evening, her prognosis for recovering after surgery will be bad, because then her teeth will hurt even more. But,she already ate vegs the evening after her first dosage, looks promising.
The root of those 2 teeth will be demolished from the jaw, with a circular drill bit, instead of pulling them. Then, she will be able to keep the teeth and eat well. He will also file one overgrown tooth, as thse teeth hurt a lot now, that's why she won't eat. He will also take the hairy cyst out, which keeps coming back. It's a small one, you can compare it with a human pimple, lol.

Fingers crossed! She is always so grateful for being fed, never had a pig showing me such gratitude before. She now associated me with food, and I have become her best friend, she starts licking when she sees me. She used to do that when veggies were served, lol!!!

Maddy_harper

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:31 am

aww poor little girl...

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:40 am

She did not start eating till 2 days after the vet predicted. The roots were grown just outside the jaw, so they were not treated yet, as it was too hard to do so yet, but one tooth was filed down and her cyst taken out. She's doing great, as if nothing happened. Wew!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:03 am

And, oh, forgot: the new vid!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E04wSKLi5_I

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:05 am

Wow! That's awesome!

Maddy_harper

Post   » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:01 am

thats great!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:26 am

My "awesome" was meant for the post about YuYu (?) and her health, but it fits for the video too. That is so cute. I can hear little guinea pig voices say "Hey! Who opened the window (or door)?" and "Is that food?". Loved it!

I keep forgetting to ask: how big is your cage? Why does it always look so roomy with so many cavies in it? My cages always look so crowded. The 3 cage is a 2X6 grid, and the 2 cage is 2X5 grid. Should I just take out everything but pads to lay on?