Love Makes The Merry-Go-Round!

clairey

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:36 pm

I don't know if this syringe would fit her tiny mouth but it made my time syringe feeding so much easier. https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/feeding-syringe.html

The nozzle is tapered and the end is narrower than a 1ml with the tip off, although broader than one with the tip on.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:26 pm

Oh thank you for that, Clairey. I will order some of those. They certainly sound like they will work soon, her little mouth is so tiny but it's bigger than it was!

I have managed to get her eating from a 2ml and then onto a 5ml syringe tonight, and the mixture is stiffer still. And she seems to have got the hang of really gobbling it down. It's like something has changed with her in just the last few hours. Whether it's the relief of not feeling itchy or not, I don't know.

We've left her with some jollop, soaked pellets and some veg cut up into minute bits. I feel that once she gets a taste for proper food there will be no stopping her! Assuming she does actually have her molars to chew/grind things with.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:46 pm

I hope she does! It will make eating so much more enjoyable for her.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:42 pm

It sounds like Merry is doing great things. Because you and Ian are doing great things! I really look forward to these updates.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:08 pm

So glad to read that she's coming along nicely and showing a real gusto towards food. Always a good sign and very encouraging for everyone. Continued best wishes to little Merry as well as kisses to the rest of your herd.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:44 am

Thanks!

She ate two thirds of the chopped veg/salad bits, probably a desert spoon full, during the night! And she licked some carrot puree up. We still had to hand feed her, she wheeks (we hear her on the baby monitor) and we can't just ignore her. She must have been starving hungry for the first 5 weeks of life, she doesn't need to worry now!

Poor quality photos, sorry. I had to use my phone.

Syringe feed top-up in situ with a 5ml syringe! She can't eat very fast, the plunger has to move only a tiny increment at a time.

And look, "I can help myself too!"

For scale, the little glass dish measures 1 and a half inches where the food goes!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:36 am

What a tiny little sweetheart! Sounds like every day she's getting stronger and more independent. Which nanny spends the night with her?

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:48 am

She sleeps on her own now, snowflakey, it was impossible to leave her any food to try and eat on her own otherwise! To be honest, she reminds me of Fairy in that she doesn't seem very interested in the company of other guinea pigs although she spends part of each day with Pansy or another stand-in anyway.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:38 am

Haha, of course the nanny would lap up Merry's snacks. Silly me. Well, she knows she only needs to wheek and you'll come running!

Meeri-Ingrid

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:04 pm

My heart goes out to you, little girl ....
You are such a brave Piggy ....
All my best wishes for you and your family

poppycorn

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:30 pm

She really reminds me of a baby Popcorn!! (Can I just say thank you SO much - I've just discovered loads of old pictures of Popcorn, Bubbles, Dusty and Thumper that I didn't even know I had on my photobucket by logging in for the first time in ages!)

Image[/img]

tashab

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:15 pm

She's so tiny & fluffy!