There's Magic in the Fur!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:10 pm

I'd like to set up a free library near our driveway. There are only 5 families on the street, and it's not really a walking area. It's a pretty quiet street since we live 5 miles out of town, but I still think it would work. One family has a dog sitting business so we do get some traffic at times. Three of the homes have children of various ages, so I think it could be something they would enjoy.

I'll give it a try if I can get my brother to build it. We can stick posts into the ground, but neither of us is capable of building a water-proof box with glass door(s).

We used to donate our books to various places around town when we lived in Juneau. You could barely walk into a building without seeing a lending library somewhere. Down here not so much.

Husband isn't really into driving places just to give away books. Maybe one of my getting-out goals could be to make him take me around. Or, to make him feel like it might be worthwhile, we have a couple of used bookstores around town that we could take the books to. Ours always still look like new when we finish them.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Bookfan, I wouldn't have been able to dig holes myself - but part of the Little Free Library ethos is 'community'. Asking someone to help would make them feel involved!

Even on a small scale I personally think the Little Library would work, and make your neighbours smile! There are some simple plans on the Little Free Library website for building your own, or you can purchase one from them. We didn't use glass in the door of ours, we bought a sheet of plexiglass. If it starts to go cloudy we will replace it with toughened glass I expect.

If anyone is thinking about their own Little Free Library I would urge you to read all the info on their website! If you don't go ahead it still make for interesting reading!!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:28 pm

Google it too -- there so many ways to do it without building a standard library structure. Mine is an old newspaper box.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:26 pm

I LOVE those old newspaper box Little Free Libraries!

Rebelfemme2

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:36 pm

This whole thing sounds like a great idea, it definitely grabbed my attention. Where I am, we have something similar in the city. There's a tree, into which shelves have been cut, and benches and flowers and such. People bring books to swap, or just to deposit, and in the summer you can sit and read under said tree. It's an honour system, and it works well.

I'd love to have one of your little libraries close to where I live.

poppycorn

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:13 pm

Oh gosh Mildred, next time I'm up I'll bring a couple of goodies up (ie BOOKS!) (ie more than a couple because I HAVE TONNES!)

Give me a message on facebook sometime about when you're free - I'm only actually in Lincoln for the next couple of months then I'm back up north for Summer and then I'm moving down to KENT! (!) :(

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:36 am

"Even on a small scale I personally think the Little Library would work, and make your neighbours smile!"

Yes indeed, Mildred. GrannyJu1, I think that would be a great idea for your street.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:49 am

i think it would be a good idea too. Go for it!

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:10 am

Grief grabs you by the throat and shakes you, and it's always there, and it won't leave you alone at night. And one day it might go. But it drops by from time to time . . .

It is two years today since Fairy left and while I still grieve and I still can't find the words . . .

I try to remember her and be happy. She was loved and loved in return.

Today is a day for Fairy, filled with Fairy's Fairy-ness and everything Fairy. And love xxxx

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:14 am

She was a darling. She is at peace in paradise running around eating all the best grass just waiting for the day you're reunited again. Sending you big hugs!

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:19 am

*Hugs* Mildred. It was so kind of you to share Fairy with the rest f the world. You brought alot of people great joy. If only it were that easy to soothe your grief. . .

So, this is also Peter Gurney's birthday, and the day people all over the world light candles, at 8 p.m., in remembrance. Just imagine the coincidence. . .candles all over the world for Peter Gurney, and all sorts of pigs who have crossed over, including Fairy.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:56 am

Such lovely pictures and beautiful memories. Sadness is sad, but it is a testament of Fairy's power to make everyone love her and cherish the life she shared with you and Ian.

I'll put in a plug here for everyone on the Book of Faces to go and like Mildred's LFL page. I get such nice updates every day! The quality of books is astounding. And it is the cutest LFL I have ever seen. Very deluxe, too.