Snickerspants Vol. 7: A New Day

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:54 pm

I hate that it feels like I'm just checking in to report deaths, but... we lost VickieWhiskers last night.

VW was diagnosed with pulmonary edema and heart disease in February of 2016. She has been on three meds and painkillers since. She has lived alone in the swank hospice cage since Cookie died last year, and she absolutely did not mind. I'm extravagant with my dying pets, so she's been subsisting on a diet mostly of organic baby food for that entire time too. She lost over 500g in that time, but never lost her sass -- bar-chewing and even wheeking until just a month or so ago. And even as I contemplated how much more weight she could lose before she just vanished entirely, she was eating and bright-eyed and moving around. Just four days ago she chided me for taking too long to clean her cage, and then did the normal inspection routine to make sure I'd put everything back properly. I kept telling her to let me know when she was ready to go; it just took her 28 months to do so.

She stopped eating, basically, two days ago. A half-hearted nibble here and there but nothing else. I did get about 5ml of Critical Care into her last night, and 5ml of water, just because I know how dehydration can feel crappy. But I wasn't going to fight her to get more in there because there just so obviously wasn't going to be a point. So I quit after that last syringe of water, told her we were done, and told her that she could choose how she wanted to leave, and that if she was still around in the morning I'd help out. She wasn't. She always, always did her own thing, and I'm grateful to her for doing this one too.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Oh, I am so sorry for both of your losses; two heartbreaks in just a few days time, must be hard (expected or not).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:23 pm

I am so sorry, AldenM1. It is hard losing these little guinea pigs.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:11 am

I am so sorry you lost Vickie-Whiskers. RIP little one! No more pain forever young. Munch on the green grass and now popcorn amongst the clouds! Reunited with Miss Truvy L'il Pouf NEVER to be parted! Together forever! Sending big hugs to you all!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:47 pm

I am so very sorry about VickieWhiskers. Two in just a matter of days. Too much pain in such a short time. Lots of hugs and warm thoughts are coming your way.

Rest in peace, little one. You are loved and missed.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon May 06, 2019 11:34 am

Back for record-keeping purposes to note that we lost Clairee Claudia "Cici" this weekend. She was a bit off her feed Friday and then died Saturday, so I have no idea what happened, but I'm grateful that it was quick. She was the little mama who gave us such joy by giving birth on webcam in 2014. I will miss her a lot. <3

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon May 06, 2019 11:51 am

I'm so sorry. I follow you on FB, so have been keeping up with your herd. It's so sad to lose one, especially with as much personality as she had.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon May 06, 2019 12:02 pm

So sorry about Cici. RIP little girl.

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Mon May 06, 2019 1:31 pm

So sorry for your loss <3

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon May 06, 2019 2:19 pm

So sorry!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 06, 2019 3:48 pm

I am so sorry to hear you lost her, AldenM1.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 am

One of the few negative things about these pets is when we lose them. We find comfort in knowing that we gave them a great home and a happy life and that they added happiness to ours. Alden, it's obvious from your postings that your guinea pigs are very lucky to have you as their hooman. I'm very sorry for the loss of your piggies.