Snickerspants Vol. 7: A New Day

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:43 pm

She has indeed been making good use of her calories. And I just realized tomorrow is three months since Lil Pouf arrived chez moi!

Riahrae

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Oh my sweet goodness gracious little pouf is so adorable. The teacup photo I love it!!!!

tashab

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Clearly, you do not stint on the food. Look at how much floofier she is!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:04 pm

I luvs her.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:20 am

She's really grown. Still looking as cute as ever though, as are the rest of your herd. This is what happens to hamsters when you feed them after midnight. Ha!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Big things have been afoot for our herd!

After a disappointing Memorial Day weekend when we realized we didn't have all the supplies we needed, we managed to actually build a completely new cage this past weekend. The cage mainly needed to be replaced because of all the chewing. 7 years of chewing can work a number on some grids! But then it occurred to me that I could make some changes if we reconstructed from the ground up. The most exciting change is that the new cage sits on furniture dollies. We made this modification ourselves because the cage kit I bought back in 2009 was on casters that just didn't work very well. The dollies are so awesome, the cage just rolls around now!

New on left, old on right
So we finished the cage Sunday, but I still had work to do yesterday. First I moved Team Magnolia to the bed. There was wheeking.

Then I moved their coroplast bin and put them back.

Then I did the same for the Elder Ladies.

Then I cut the old cage down to a 2x3. The Elder Ladies aren't moving around much, and this will help decrease the footprint of cage in what is supposed to be my office and the guest bedroom. (Also I think this step helped convince my husband that this whole thing wasn't my nefarious plan to add six more guinea pigs to the family! I'm not going to put more pigs in an immobilized, one-level 2x3. Probably. Right?)

It was at this point that I realized I was missing some pieces of coroplast I'd need that I'd last seen in February, and also that I'd been using the 2x3 bin coroplast for project work since we upgraded in 2010. So I had to cobble together a new 2x3 bin out of various other pieces of coroplast. Fortunately in the process I found the ramp safety wall I needed for the 2x4.

Then I made up the new 2x3 and plunked the Elder Ladies in it. They each popcorned exactly once. I felt thanked.

And then the fun part! I cleaned the bottom floor of the 2x4 and moved Team Magnolia into it. Then I cleaned the top floor and made the changes in configuration necessary so I could add the ramp. Cici, of course, lived with a ramp for a year and a half, so she immediately knew what to do and ran right upstairs. But Steve had only seen the ramp once and that didn't go well (pictorial evidence back on page 2), and Lil Pouf hadn't ever seen one.

Graciously, Cici offered to eat all the dinner since she was the only one who arrived upstairs.

I did have to shepherd them up and down a couple of times. Well, okay, not "them" so much: just Steve. Lil Pouf figured it out pretty fast and was delighted to take over the man cave, because of course she was. But at 2am Steve was still loitering sadly upstairs while the ladies had gone to bed downstairs. So I kind of pushed him down the ramp. When he got to the bottom I could almost see the lightbulb go off. But he wasn't going to admit that he had been confused. So he turned on the rumblestrut motor and rumbled up and down the ramp about 3 times before joining the ladies for bed!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Ever so cool! Looks like it will be MUCH easier to move around, too!

tashab

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:35 pm

Looks great - and I had a little lol at poor Steve!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:28 am

Steve is a funny guy! Witness my little photoshoot with Cuddly Cici yesterday:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:19 am

So a cute little photobomber?

clairey

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:26 pm

Please send me Steve. Thxbai.

goosey1019