One pig, two pig, Red pig, new pig

AyaMcCabre

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:18 am

Bonding is stressful. They were all doing fine on neutral territory so we moved them in together.... and Red started beating up Francis. Nothing too serious, but she was too scared to stand up for herself. We now have a successful trio (Red, Ginny, Pippa) and Francis on her own in a segregated portion of the run so she can interact through bars. Hoping a slow intro will work better for her.

I also tried to put them in a similar setup outside. Key word tried. There were three guineas in one half of the run and one in the other, then when I went to check on them there was one guinea in the wrong half of the run and the other three loose in the garden. Half an hour later they are all back inside and in disgrace. So glad I taught them to take food from my hands so they don't run when they think I have something for them. We have ruru (owls) in our neighbourhood so if we hadn't found Ginny before they started calling (another half hour or so) we wouldn't hear a peep from her until morning. Stubborn animal wouldn't come out until we got Red out and showered him in treats. Food + jealousy did the trick.

Photo from before the escape. Left to right: Francis, Ginny, Pippa (back), Red (front).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:51 am

I looked up pictures of the rurus (owls). They are cute! Owls certainly are worrisome predators though. I am glad you got them all in! I remember years ago taking my guinea pigs to my enclosed garden and having them immediately run under shrubbery. The wide open sky is awfully scary.

AyaMcCabre

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:15 am

We found why they all ran. Francis has a cat bite injury. She'll be ok but :((((

AyaMcCabre

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 6:00 am

Introducing Pikelet! He's one year old and has one (1) rosette.

He's just on trial but we're gunna have him for ages before we can introduce him to Francis, so he's more of a short term foster until he's actually ready to have piggy friends. Right now he's in quarantine (cos the SPCA didn't quarantine him), then he'll be introduced through bars because he was only desexed six days ago, then around the end of the month we can finally see if he gets along with our solo pig. Fingers crossed cos we're gunna be really attached to him by then.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 7:47 am

What a crazy patch of spiked hair your cutie has! I hope things work out well!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 8:19 am

A very handsome piggy! So glad he has found a forever home with you. Hoping intros go well! We saw an English program tonight called VET ON THE HILL a vet from AUSTRALIA who has three clinics in the UK, this was at his Richmond vet clinic. This couple had Pepe a guinea pig who had a tiny bladder stone. What we found interesting was the man could make all these guinea pig noises and Pepe would talk back. We found it cute and very amazing! Sorry for high jacking the thread, wish we were clever enough to talk to our girls. Squeaks, purrs, happy noises, rattling noises it was just so cute! Pepe was very handsome too he had a rosette too, he was black with ginger and a little white on his head. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/vet- ... ode-guide/ Season 4 episode 2.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 9:11 am

I will have to watch that when I have time!