Help! Pregnant guinea pig

Lottie77

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:04 pm

Hiya! I need help to ensure I make the best decision. New owner, 2 sows received July 2nd. They were supposedly 8 weeks then. 1st piggy gave birth to 2 pups on Friday 4th August. I didn't know she was pregnant but wasn't to surprised as she looked pear shaped. 1 pup survived (male). Now the other female is pregnant (obviously she was pregnant too before I got them) so do I seperate the female and the 2 week old male pup from the pregnant female? Or will it stress her to much? Any help would be great. Thank you

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:27 pm

No, you don't have to separate because she's pregnant, but you do have to separate the male pup at 21 days of age, else he'll get mom pregnant.

Lottie77

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:57 am

Thank you bpatters for your reply. I was worried the 2 week old pup male, could harm/ be jealous of the newborns when they arrive. But just to absolutely clarify.. they should all be ok together? Cheers

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 am

They should be. The pup probably won't care, and guinea pig sows usually make great aunties. Keep an eye on them, of course, in case you've got the one sow in several thousand that isn't, but I doubt you'll have any trouble.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Perpetua and her mate, Tomato, came to the shelter together. Both were pregnant and delivered soon after. Tomato was pretty under nourished so Perpetua had more milk--all five pups drank hers and I don't think anyone cared :)