The Grey's Gang

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am

Wow, they are all so cute!

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:46 am

Thank you Lynx!

This is Remy; Mom's transcribing for me since I can't see the keys! We've had quite the change around the house in the past week. Mom's grandparents, the ones who lost their beloved dog not long ago, have been terribly lonely. They can't bear to have another dog in the house at their house right now, but they seem to feel it's too empty. They visited again last weekend and fell in love with us (especially me, because I'm too cute to resist!!!) They begged to take Maggie home, but Mom couldn't bear to separate Maggie and I just yet...I've grown too fond of my adoptive piggy mom. However, she did finally concede that if they truly needed company, they could have the boys stay with them until they're once again ready to get a puppy (boys are stinky anyhow, so I don't mind much!) Mom misses them terribly, but she still gets to visit them every weekend or two. Her grandparents seemed to have come alive for the first time since the passing of their dog...I guess a little furry company is all they needed (seriously though, who couldn't cheer up with furry piggy cuddles???).

I have been doing much better, and I'm now sharing a HUGE cage with Rory and Maggie. I still haven't figured out that stinkin' water bottle, but why should I bother learning when Mom puts out a special water bowl thats just for me??? I'm obviously not spoiled in the slightest. I have also found out that my favorite food in the entire world is grapes. Mom only gives them to me as treats for being extra good, or for when I attempt to use the water bottle. Then she laughs at me for having grape juice run down my mouth for the next few minutes, because I am a very messy eater.

Overall, we're all getting very spoiled. The boys were being cuddled like crazy when we visited today; her grandma has taken to Owen and her grandpa to Derek. While they were meant to be more of a temporary emotional support, Mom's afraid she'll have to fight to get them back, even when they decide on a puppy! As much as she misses them, she is glad that both her grandparents and the boys are getting all the cuddles they can handle.

Mom said it's far too late and all the good piggies are in bed, so I suppose I should go. Thank you everyone for your support in our adventures!
Last edited by GreysGuineaPigs on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:56 am

Before we go to bed, Maggie is being vain and is insisting we post a picture of her (finally!) healed face. The fur has yet to grow back completely, but it looks sooooo much better.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:08 am

What a sweet face!

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:38 am

and a lovely tale. I'm so glad everyone is healing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Wow, it has healed wonderfully!

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:29 am

Little update: all the babies are doing pretty good! Maggie has struggled with GI stasis and bloat for the past month, and now she is trying to get over a UTI, but she's still in good spirits! I don't have a ton of pictures of all of them, but Maggie and Remy are the ones who will best stay still for the camera! As you can see, Remy's favorite pastime is eating lettuce and then sleeping on Mom while I study. The first pic with the lettuce was actually a product of perfect timing, she was actually throwing her lettuce around before eating it and I caught it in mid-throw...but since she's blind it's nice having one where she's actually looking at the camera!

I couldn't get the photo rotated...but...did someone say lettuce???

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:52 am

Great pictures!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:34 pm

I LOVE your furbabies! They are so cute!

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:35 am

I have waited to post about this for some time, because it was a little too heartbreaking to share when it happened. As discussed before, Amelia was thought to have two sisters, and I adopted all three. As it turns out, one of them was a brother, missexed by the pet store and I was naive and did not check them before I left the store. I found out days later at home. I kept them anyway, with the boy separated of course. Amelia and Bailey did not seem to be pregnant for what seemed like a while afterward, but they suddenly got very large very fast. They both ended up having babies at the vet's office. They were both young, so when they started birthing and things didn't seem right, I drove three hours to an emergency vet. If this explains the severity, after the 3 hours drive, there was a copius amount of blood and they were still giving birth. The vet did everything they could, but nothing seemed to go right. Both Amelia and Bailey passed shortly after giving birth to a total of 9 pups between the two.

I am a full time grad student and at the time was in the middle of the semester plus working 20-30 hours a week. As much as I would have loved to have kept the babies, I knew nothing of taking care of orphan babies (let alone 9), and the more I learned, the more I knew I would not be home nearly enough to help these little babies survive and thrive. I reached out to a shelter that had significant experience in abandoned and/or orphaned pups. They were very knowledgeable, and they offered to take in all 9 babies. After vetting them thoroughly and hearing only good things, I made the drive there and they took in the pups. They kept in very close contact with me and kept me updated, per my request. They even let me come to the vet with them when they took the babies in for a checkup a month later (all of them sexed and separated accordingly).

One of the babies (who was actually born the smallest of all 9), the vet found, was completely blind. As I've mentioned, I have a blind pig already, Remy. After having Remy for several months, I knew that this baby would likely struggle a little and would be difficult to find adoptive parents. I knew I had to bring her home with me. So, I drove the trip back home with this little ball of fluff the size of my palm, anxious to see if she would get along with my (now) little herd of three (Maggie, Remy, and Rory).

Maggie never had pups, and she attatched to Remy like glue when I brought home her as a little ball of fur. Remy was still older than this baby when I got her, so I didn't know how Maggie would react to a new baby. Maggie is now well over 2lbs, so I knew if they didn't get along, the baby could get seriously injured. However, Maggie instantly went to her, curled around her, and it was like they were long-lost friends. Maggie became her cuddle buddy. Remy showed her how to do everything, and the baby followed her around like a lost puppy. Rory wasn't thrilled about the new pup, but she tolerated it until she got used to her. They're still not best friends, but they're ok with each other.

So, now my little herd is 4. The pup's name has changed once or twice as she has developed more an more personality. Now she is about 4 months old and we call her Peanut (after the Jeff Dunham character because she acts very silly sometimes, and due to her small size at birth). I don't love the name, since it was my dad's nickname for me as a child, but It's growing on me. I don't have many pictures of her yet, and I haven't gotten the ones I do have onto Photobucket, but I hope to soon.

It was heartbreaking to lose two very sweet girls, but Peanut seems to have relieved a little of the ache in both myself and her herd sisters. She sometimes still runs into walls, she's the messiest grape eater in the world, and she will bite your fingers off trying to get a carrot of your hand, but she is so very loved. I hate that we had to lose two beautiful, sweet piggies to get her in our lives, but I am thankful some good came of it and she's with us now, goofiness and all.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:50 am

I'm so very sorry for the loss of both mums. I do sometimes hate pet stores, not least for this very reason. Rest in peace, Amelia and Bailey. At least one of your babies has a wonderful home with lots of companionship and mentoring.

Thank you for taking in a tiny helpless baby and providing a good home for Peanut.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:28 am

I understand why this update was hard to write. You did all you could for the little pregnant guinea pigs. Peanut sounds like a treasure.

Here is hoping this year is a good one for you and your pets!