The Grey's Gang

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:51 am

Oh goodness, GrannyJu, it sounds like you had quite the time of it! It's sad how rampant this stuff runs in the pet stores. It's just good you caught the infection since it had a different presentation than usual! I'm glad they're doing better now.

Also, I've been checking them every day, thank goodness, or else I would have completely missed Amelia's spot on her side. Now that she has it too, I've been doing even more thorough checks than usual, just in case.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:25 pm

It breaks my heart to say this, but after a long battle with various illnesses, Sofia crossed over the rainbow bridge last night.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm so sorry you lost her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:54 pm

You have our sympathy. I am so sorry you lost her.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:19 am

Thank you all. One of the reasons pet store guinea pigs are not recommended...not long after I brought her home, we found out she had fungus, mites, and a respiratory infection. Luckily, she hadn't had any contact with the others, so we kept her isolated, treated her, and finally got the all-clear check-up from the vet. She was good for a while, but the vet still had us giving her meds to make sure everything was killed off. It's only been a short time since she has been off the medications and finally allowed around the others.

Unfortunately, the medicine took quite a toll on her tiny little body. The vet believes the medicine killed off her 'good bacteria' and allowed bad, anaerobic bacteria to overproduce in her stomach. They release toxins and lead to a very sudden death. He is going to perform a necropsy for my peace of mind, especially since she seemed pretty healthy yesterday, but he said this happens with guinea pigs (especially young ones) that are really sick and have required a lot of medication. Of course, this makes me feel like a guilty momma because I'm the one who was treating her, even though I was extremely careful about giving appropriate doses. I also know she would have died from her various illnesses without the medication. I am thankful that it was a quick and seemingly painless death. Especially on the farm, I have watched animals die extremely slowly and painfully, so I am thankful she didn't have to go through that. It's just a very sad, emotional day.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:24 am

On another note, I stopped by the pet store I got her from the other day and told them what the vet had diagnosed her with (I live a ways from the store and this was the first opportunity I had to go there since I usually work until after they're closed). They refused that any fungus, mites, or infections came from them, so I asked to hold one of the guinea pigs that they still had (they had 5 in that cage). Sure enough, there was a big (obvious) spot of fungus on her shoulder and other bald patches. At first, the pet store tried to say it was from being bit, but I insisted they take a closer look. Finally, they tossed that guinea pig into a cage with another 'sick' guinea pig and said it was isolated and didn't mean they ALL had it. It is absolutely sickening the lack of care these poor babies are receiving.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 am

This is part of the reason we encourage adoption and tell people to avoid pet stores. A good rescue takes much better care of their guinea pigs.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:18 am

I'm very sorry you lost Sophia. Don't beat yourself up over giving her medications, because as you said, she would have died without them anyway. At least she did have a few good days at the end. The one thing I would suggest next time you have to give antibiotics to any of them: about 60-90 minutes after administering the medication, give them a probiotic. Most of us use Bene Bac or the equivalent. Again, take comfort she had those good days. It sounds like she didn't have much of a chance anyway.

Rest in peace, little Sophia. You are loved and missed.

P.S. I found pet stores, big box or little family owned, refuse to admit their animals have anything contagious. My very first pig I bought from a small family owned store - it turned out he had lice and by the time I discovered it I had 3 infected guinea pigs. It took me months to get rid of the lice. The last two, I bought from a different mom and pop store. They seemed to care a bit more about the pigs than the first place so I thought I was safe. Nope, fungal infections on both, even though they were from different litters. Housed together of course! At least they didn't outright deny the fungus and I think (THINK) they did treat at least the ones showing obvious signs of infection.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:12 pm

I wish Arkansas had a rescue. There's one unofficial one operated out of a woman's home here in Arkansas that I just learned about. I actually found out about her because not only does she run the rescue but she also clips nails, does health-checks, and can even treat them for free for mites and such! And she seems more knowledgeable about guinea pigs than most of our vets. However, due to the...situation in which she's running it (out of her home in the middle of a suburban neighborhood), she's had a lot of problems, such as animal control being called on her. No good deed goes unpunished I suppose.

Thank you GrannyJu. We gave her a probiotic while she was on antibiotics and for a bit after we stopped them for good measure, but I guess her little system was just too weak to overcome it. The vet says the necropsy should be done by Friday to confirm what happened.

I'm so sorry to hear you went through that! At least they didn't deny it and hopefully treated some of them. I feel as if some of the mom and pop stores care slightly more than the box stores, but it's still just income for most of them. I'd love to see more rescues opening up with people who actually care running them.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:46 am

There is only 1 rescue anywhere near us and they seem to focus mostly on dogs and/or cats, but do take in the occasional guinea pig/exotic. I'd like to start one here in my house, but the husband would never go for it. Besides, I'm not sure I could ever give up a guinea pig, once I'd had it for a while. ;o)

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:12 am

Oh I feel like that would probably the hardest part! The woman who runs the rescue talks about people who adopt them then dump them back there because they're unwanted or they cannot take care of them. I don't know if seeing that kind of lack of caring and commitment would be hardest part or giving them up in the first place. There's several piggies there that she and her husband have claimed for themselves and would never give away, so I think she has a bit of the same problem! I can't imagine how hard it would be to not get overly attached to every single one.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi everyone! This is Maggie. Mom's too sad to type, so I took over!

We had a really rough week last week. My best friend, Sofia, died on Sunday night/early Monday morning I was very sad and moody. On Wednesday, I was in quite the mood, and I picked a fight with one of my sisters! Luckily, Mom was there to stop us, but I got a very bad bite to the face. After two vet trips, I ended up having to get my face shaved, a shot, AND a stitch in my face on Friday! I wasn't a happy camper, but I was a good girl and didn't bite a single person. The nurse at the vet had a son who gave me lots of cuddles afterward, so it wasn't too awful. I even got to stay at Mom's work for the rest of the afternoon!

After we got home from work Friday afternoon, Mom got a phone call. I knew something was wrong, because Mom was crying really hard. From what we piggies could here, Mom's house dog, who has been staying with her grandparent's since she left for college, was hit by this thing called a car, and she died. Since Mom's had her for 7 years, she was pretty distraught. We cuddled with her all night to try to cheer her up.

On Saturday, Mom's grandparents came to visit because they were very sad about Lilly, the dog who died. It turns out that the man Mom calls Grandpa REALLY loves to cuddle me! Me and my sisters got sooooo many cuddles, and we helped to cheer everyone up. Since I am the most laid-back of all the piggies, I got the MOST cuddles. :)

Grandpa also brought us a special present...a giant fifty-pound (+) bale of timothy hay! We have all been happy campers since (even though Mom is mean and soaks my face in Betadine every night)

I'm very proud of my battle scar, look! It's only brown because the picture was taken right after mean Mom just finished soaking it Saturday. It looks even better now, but I haven't let Mom take a good picture! :P