The Story of Two Little Wheekers

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:48 pm

Hey Taco, if I lived closer to you, I would give you the best forever home! I'm so glad to hear that you are hanging in there. Your foster human is doing a great job for you. Get better!

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:40 am

You're doing fine, little buddy. Hang in there and keep getting BIG!

ItsaZoo

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:29 pm

Little Taco, keep eating and growing! I wish you all the best.

CleoCharity

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:41 pm

This is Charity because human is too sad to type. We just found out from the shelter that Taco died this morning. They thought that she had a GI problem and that if they didn’t put her to sleep, she was going to die a long painful death. They euthanized her this morning, and they told human when she went to go visit them in the shelter. She says that the other three are doing awesome, and that they will soon be up for adoption but that they need to get a clean bill of health first. She also says that the cage felt so empty without little Taco’s constantly happy spirit, giant ears, and sweet little face. RIP little girl, you never knew what it was like to be in a forever home, to be bigger than 3 ounces, and you never made it to four weeks old. But you still faced every challenge (and there were lots) with a determined expression on your more often than not Critical Care covered face, and human is so grateful to have gotten to love you for your short 3 weeks and 1 day.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:41 pm

Oh man. Poor Taco. I'm so sorry to hear that.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Poor Taco. I'm so sad for her, and for you.

ItsaZoo

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:47 pm

I’m so sorry about Taco. She had so much love and care in the short time she was here.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2019

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:19 pm

I'm so sorry. She sounded like a sweet little girl. I know she was very much loved and will not be forgotten.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Oh no, I'm so sorry. We were all pulling for Taco. There were a lot of things that she never lived to know, but she did know love and caring in her short time here on earth.

CleoCharity

Post   » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:52 pm

Thank you so much for all your kind words. Ember, Kiwi, and Toast have all been adopted, and Toast's new owner even sent me a very nice email and some pictures. She looks very happy in a big new cage with a new friend. Cleo and Charity are as fat, happy, and healthy as ever. They were staying with their grandparents for a little while, and they were spoiled rotten. I'm back with them now, and although they were excited to see me, I think they're a little bit disappointed as they know that they can't convince me that they're starving :)

CleoCharity

Post   » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Hello, it's Cleo! Human was concerned that we weren't eating enough hay, so she decided to put a small pile up in our loft, along with our normal hay bag. We're already eating much more hay, so she's decided to keep it there permanently! Charity doesn't care, but I love the hay pile, and I go crazy when human gives us more. She is also redoing the room we are in, so our cage is getting changed up! Right now, it's in an L shape, which we like, but it makes it harder for human to clean and for her to pick us up. So, she's moving it around so that the loft and doorway are in the middle, with the extra kitchen on the end. I know it doesn't make any sense, but I'll tell her to post pictures of it when it's done.

On a different note, human finally feels ready to foster again. She still misses Taco (and the other three!) but knows that Taco would want her to keep on trying to help piggies in need. She emailed the shelter to tell them she's ready for anymore if they need a foster home, so she may be posting pictures of some new babies soon!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:32 pm

That's great! More fun for all!

CleoCharity

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Human finally remodeled our cage, and I (Cleo) love it! My new favorite thing to do is do extra-long laps, and run around and popcorn. I already did this stuff before, but I do it more now. Human says it's funny because we have the same size cage as before, but we just didn't have it set up the way that I wanted! I don't know why she couldn't figure that out before.

She also came up with the idea of trick training. I think it's the worst idea ever, I already get food so why should I work for more? Crazy Charity on the other paw, she loves it. She and human work on it for five minutes every day, and she comes back to the cage and lets human pet her and will spread out in the open. After a few days of working on training very slowly, she's always bragging about how super close she is to mastering circling on command. She's reading over my shoulder now and telling me to put a video of her, so I guess I will.

Uh oh, human just came in and found us on the computer. She says she will only let us send the video if she gets to write a boring update about fostering, and Charity wants the video to send to show everyone, so I have to say goodbye now.

On Friday, we got an email from the shelter we foster for. They said that they have two females who might be pregnant and need someone to take care of them until we can tell if they are or aren't. In their old home, they were separated from the males, but they got put together for the ride to the shelter. They think that it's unlikely they got pregnant in such a short time, but it's always better safe than sorry, and they would never want to adopt out a pregnant pig. My email hasn't been cooperating lately, so the message didn't show up until today. I promptly emailed back to let them know we can take them, so if they haven't already been taken into a different foster home, we will probably be picking them up either later today or tomorrow.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Circles are fun! Even if it takes a bit of food to get you to do it.

Hope the rescued guinea pigs do well! (and aren't pregnant!)

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 pm

I just made myself a little dizzy watching it over and over. :P Keep up the good work, Charity!

That's a very impressive cage set-up. Is that one long cage with a double balcony on top?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:18 pm

Adorable! I also admire you for taking the time to foster. If I ever get to open Scruffy's Rodent Motel, I am strongly considering using it to provide foster care. If I had the space, I'd do it now. What you are doing is nothing short of spectacular!

CleoCharity

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:17 pm

Thank you, Renonvsparky! Speaking of fosters, we just picked up our newest ones! Their names are Golden Cookie and Little Fole, but we're probably going to give them nicknames :) They're both only four months old, still babies themselves. Both are very skittish, but Golden Cookie especially is absolutely terrified. Little Fole has already done some popcorns and zoomies, but Golden Cookie is too scared to come out of her pigloo when she's in the cage, much less do any zoomies.

Golden Cookie:

Little Fole:

Sef1268, it's a 2 by 4 with a 2 by 2 loft, and ramps over to a 2 by 2. We originally only had a single boar who wouldn't get along with any other males and had lots of health issues so it would be too risky to neuter him, so we had the 2 by 4 with the loft. When he passed away and we adopted Cleo and Charity, we wanted them to have a bigger cage, but at that point, they were in a corner, so we had to put a ramp to another section and make it L shaped. Now that we've moved things around, we can have it all against one wall, but the girls love the loft, and if we took down the wall between the two sections, the loft would also have to come down because it wouldn't have enough support. I wish we could have one long cage so they could do better laps, but I'll have to wait until the time is right to get more pigs, and then I can completely redo the cages!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:31 pm

They are adorable little guinea pigs, CleoCharity!

CleoCharity

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:05 pm

Now that the foster girls have had some time to settle in, their personalities have come out. Golden Cookie, who we just call Cookie, is still scared of a lot of things, but she's also one of the most food-obsessed guinea pig I've ever met (which is saying a lot, because I've never met a guinea pig other than Taco who isn't obsessed with food). I've started working on getting them used to humans by cutting up their veggies into smaller pieces, and hand feeding them, piece by piece. I just leave my hand in the cage, and when they work up enough courage, they'll come over and grab the piece of veggie. Cookie will come right up, but Little Fole (who we've started calling Faye) takes a little longer. It's like a there's a different guinea pig inside of Cookie whenever I walk in with the food, she's not scared of anything if there's food involved!

I love being able to just sit next to their cage and slowly feed them their food, their silly antics make me smile! After most of the food has been handed out, Cookie stops wanting to take the cherry tomatoes halves. If that's what's in my hand at the time, she'll check it out, reject it, and then run to the other side of the cage, and look again. When the food in my hand is the same as it was before, she gives me a very disappointed look, and then keeps coming from different angles and repeating the process until Faye eats it, or I switch it out for something better. It's so funny because she's fine with them in the beginning, but once she's had some more veggies, she decides that she's too good for them. I don't know if she thinks that I have a bunch of different hands, or if she's just hoping I'll switch it if she moves to a different part of the cage.

Faye also has her own cherry tomato story. The girls look alike, but their tastes are so different! She'll eat some of everything, but she doesn't attack the food like Cookie. However, Faye's favorite is Cookie's least favorite. Last night, I gave her a tomato half, and after getting it, she ran off to eat it. She stopped and shook. I've seen my own pigs do it once or twice, where they go up on their hind legs and give a full-body shake. She was holding the tomato in her mouth, and it flew out and across the cage when she shook, and into the hay pile. She looked very confused and started searching for it. I offered her another half (they each can have two because I pick the smallest tomatoes out for them), but she refused it and searched the whole cage for five minutes before she finally found her half. She wouldn't take any other food until she had found that specific piece. I've also witnessed both girls doing laps and popcorns, which is great because Cookie wasn't doing those before.

Faye is steadily gaining weight, about 0.3 ounces every day. Cookie gains some weight, loses a little bit, gains some more, loses some. Overall, though, she's gaining weight. I don't know what this means about them possibly being pregnant, but we'll see if either start to gain more rapidly, or look like they're getting bigger. We'll probably have a better guess in a week or two.

I just realized how long this post is, sorry! I just wanted to give a little update on them. They're such sweet pigs, it's going to be so hard letting them go, even though I know they'll get adopted quick.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:13 am

There is something magical about getting to know a pet and becoming closer to them!

61 posts