Ode to Rum Tum

Leinani

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:07 pm

My little boy Rum Tum passed away on Monday, 9/15/03 at 1:30 p.m. He had a URI and didn't survive his treatment of antibiotics and handfeedings.

Rum Tum was born almost three years ago in the month of October (the exact day escapes me). He was the little runt of a litter of two. Although he was small he had a very large heart, he was always friendly and sweet--he never bit or fought with anyone, human or animal.

Rum Tum loved to run laps around his cage and would love to play tag with Chantilly or Alfie. Rum Tum loved Alfie, who acted as his daddy when he was separated from his mommy and sister. He always tried to be like Alfie, attempting to make jumps to the second level of their cage. He never managed to master that skill, but it never stopped him from trying. Rum Tum had the biggest mouth of the herd and never missed an opportunity to show off his big teeth when wheeking for treats. Speaking of treats, he loved all kinds, never letting any of the leftovers that Alfie left behind to go to waste.

My poor little baby Rum Tum, you are going to be sorely missed but never, ever forgotten.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:09 pm

I'm so sorry, Rum Tum was such a handsome guy. Take care.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:25 pm

I am so sorry. It is devastating to lose those special pigs.

Leinani

Post   » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:21 am

Thanks. I wish I had a picture of him on my computer but he's the black and white pig in my avatar. He was my first sick pig and my first pig to pass away. It's so tough, I feel almost scared to get close to my other pigs.

My boyfriend wants to go out this weekend to get a replacement pig. I'm not sure I'm ready yet but I may just go and get one anyway since Alfie needs a companion.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:13 pm

I'm sorry you lost your pal.

Sunny

Post   » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:48 pm

I'm so sorry Leinani - so hard.

This is how I felt after Spot died... I knew Fido needed a companion but knew I could never "replace" Spot. We got two baby boys to keep Fido company and it was like the hole left in my heart was somehow filled by redirecting my love to these new boys. I truly believe it helped me heal. I still miss my Spot dearly.

Have you read the introduction suggestions on www.cavyspirit.com? It can make the difference between pigs hitting it off or not.

Good luck.

piggielover

Post   » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:45 pm

I am really sorry for your loss Leinani, take care~

Chloe760

Post   » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:31 pm

Oh--I am so sorry--I really liked his name!

Leinani

Post   » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:54 am

Thanks. It's nice to speak with people who are sympathetic and know how it feels to lose a pig.

Sunny, yes, I've seen that page on Cavy Spirit. There's a whole lot of info on that site, I'm always directing other people there. I also actually used it when I needed to find a pal for Rum Tum when I separated him from his mom and sister.

Oh and I got the idea for his name by the movie "Legend" with Tom Cruise. It's a pretty old movie but was one of my favorites growing up. One of the dwarves in the movie was named Rum Tum, or something similar.

Medellia

Post   » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:12 am

I'm so sorry. It's always hard losing a little one. I also loved the movie "legend." :)

Calypso

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:36 pm

Leinani, I'm so sorry about Rum Tum :_(

BrownEyedShorty

Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:45 pm

I'm so sorry about your rum-tum he may seem gone,but the memories will always be there. He is such a cute pig.