This Little Piggy Marketplace

sef1268

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:57 am

I wanted to post a note here to let folks know that the "This Little Piggie Marketplace" website is currently down due to an issue with the host, Blogger.

Blogger deleted the site on Christmas Eve; I have initiated the dispute process to have the site reviewed and (hopefully) re-activated.

In the meantime, thanks for your patience. I appreciate all of the support GL has given TLPM over the years, and will let you know how this turns out.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:52 am

Oh no! I hope it is back up soon.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:56 am

I hope so too! I always considered your site a model of responsible purchasing! (at least, healthy products). Personally, I think Blogger should be giving you an award vs. shutting you down!

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:01 am

I hope TLPM gets back online soon.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:57 pm

Me too!

sef1268

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Thanks, but it's not looking good at this point.

Originally, I was notified by Blogger that my site was in violation of their Terms and Conditions under Spam. I reviewed the T&C, and don't understand how TLPM can be categorized as Spam.

And now, after filing an appeal, I'm being told that being an "affiliate" and/or having content that is largely script-driven (which, as an Amazon.com affiliate, does apply to my site), is a violation of their anti-spam rules. This is NOT mentioned in their T&C document, and it's certainly the first I've ever heard of that in the 6-7 years I've been using Blogger as my web host. Blogger techs actually helped me with my site upgrade this past summer -- why wasn't this "infraction" brought to my attention at that time?

For now, all of my files have been locked and are inaccessible, so I can't even move my site to a new host. I just don't have a good feeling about this. :(

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:58 pm

Have you tried doing a search to find out if this is a recent issue? I must say, I've found numerous sites that are a waste of time that try to get you to click on an amazon link and get funds that way. But your site is so much more! I am sorry it is not looking good.

sef1268

Post   » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:23 am

Lynx, I did a search on Blogger's so-called "support" forum last night, and found numerous threads over the past month, with other site owners complaining that their blogs have been deleted due to alleged spamming activity.

Good to know I'm not an isolated case, I guess, but frustrating that I still haven't heard anything back (TLPM has been down for a week, as of today).

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:30 am

I hope it gets resolved soon. Then you can migrate to a WordPress site. ;-)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:27 am

I just hope you can get them to at least restore it for a short time so you can remove whatever organization or info you care to remove. You could copy the code for a quick upload somewhere if you wanted.

sef1268

Post   » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks. Based on an email I received a few minutes ago, it sounds like they are in the process of reviewing my site "as we speak." Fingers crossed.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:10 pm

Paws crossed too!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:52 pm

Fingers, toes and paws crossed!

sef1268

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:16 am

I found a way to grab some (but not all) of my site's content: By Googling "site:this-little-piggie-marketplace.com," I was able to pull a number of my pages from the web cache and save them as HTML documents. I was not able to recover the "Healthcare" page (which is a huge chunk of my site) or three other pages, but it's a start.

I'm wondering how involved it would be to put up a temporary site on Weebly and transfer my domain name over to that. Honestly? Even if Google/Blogger graciously decides to un-delete my site, I'll always worry that this will happen again.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:11 am

I think you should move your site no matter what.

Have you explored wordpress.com? It hosts free sites similar to blogger. I don't know what sort of terms of agreement they have.

Can you afford your own web hosting? If you can, you control this and it isn't up to some third party to decide if your site is spam or not. If so, Wordpress.org is the way to go: free content management system that is pretty easy to use. You'd need to figure out how to put everything into the database and find a theme to style it the way you like, but it is a very powerful CMS.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:24 am

Some of the site is available on archive.org, but it's pretty old.

http://web.archive.org/web/20100906060415/http://www.this-li ... trition.html

sef1268

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:11 pm

WordPress intimidates the heck out of me. I've never used it, but know it has a lot of capabilitites. It has some sort of plug-in for Amazon.com affiliates to help manage content, but I'd have to learn the basics of WP before I could even attempt to figure that out.

I do host the local Humane Society's site on DotEasy, and it has been pretty reliable over the years. It doesn't have a good "drag & drop" web design feature, so I'd have to brush up on my HTML skills (or buy a template and tweak it to my liking), but it's fairly reasonable at $25 for the domain name and free hosting per year. Plus I already know how to use it, so there would be no learning curve with it vs. WordPress. The support is a little slow, as it's out of Canada, but if I'm comparing it to Blogger support...

I've seen Joomla mentioned, too. It's similar to Weebly, right? I like Weebly's drag & drop format, and it has some nifty new features. The templates aren't too bad, or you can use your own (or tweak an existing template's CSS). I know a few folks here use Weebly and seem to like it. I think ProWeebly is a little pricey.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:04 pm

So sorry about your Blogger site. :(

I have a Wordpress site and a Weebly site. Wordpress is nice, but it is complicated to format (to me), compared to Weebly.

I've had to contact Weebly once for support last week, and they answered reasonably fast. Never had to contact Wordpress.

somechick

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Shot you an email.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Wordpress seems pretty complicated to me too! (haven't looked closely, but someone I know wants a blog to update on her site [not elsewhere] and this was recommended - I would likely have to customize it for her).

563 posts