Guns

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sat May 19, 2018 11:45 am

I am SO happy DIL has decided to homeschool the grandsons. I told my son yesterday that just because Juneau is small, doesn't preclude it happening there.

My DIL suggested a field trip to southern Washington. I'll have to see if I can help that idea along. :o)

My deepest sympathy to family and friends of those killed and injured.

GPIG

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 1:58 am

This is a run away train now.

Granny Ju, as I try o understand all of this, was the increase in school shootings the main factor as to why your family will home school?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 10:45 am

No. The oldest boy has Aspergers and wasn't "doing" normal school so well, anymore. They've stopped the "Aide" program, so he had no real help in middle school. Besides, the neighborhood middle school was going downhill fast when his dad attended. Son was failing every class and had been almost the last 2 years, but when we asked that they hold him back another year, they refused. Said it was bad for his "self-image". Can you believe that?? I suppose flunking every class and being able to go on to the next school (high school) was good for him.

Actually, I watched the Mr.'s little brother barely make it through, thanks to the drug and alcohol abuse the kids were going through. I personally hated that school. I don't think they ever cleaned up those problems for the kids. I'm glad this was the last year for grandson #1. I really hated the thought of him attending it.

It is the type of school where a shooting could so easily happen.

GPIG

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 11:55 pm

Oh I understand, it sounds like they made a wise decision, all the best to him.

My son has Asperger's and couldn't make it through a full day of school, that was third grade. My wife had been fighting with the school since first grade, they were always going to get him in a social skill program etc etc etc. I was in denial and thought he'll grow out of it. Finally I realized he wouldn't and got involved. The day I went to an attorney was the same day the superintendent told me he had an idea; since my son liked our cat so much he would tape a photo of the cat on my son's desk and this would calm him, make him feel good and all would be ok. Can you believe it?

We fought for several months, cost a bunch of money but got him into another school and today he's fine. There is so much that can be done for Asperger's, pushing them through to the next grade is one of the things that DOESN'T work. I feel so sad when I see kids with Aspergers not getting help, knowing how much they could do in life.

GPIG

Post   » Wed May 23, 2018 1:04 am

And this just in..Oliver North will be the new president of the NRA. i'm on record as hating the NRA, not because I'm anti gun but because I'm anti ignorant. This move only serves to confirm my position.

As some of you know I'm a former marine, as is Oliver. In the Marine corps we have a code; Semper Fidelis which translated means always faithful. I'm sorry, but if Ollie North were on fire and I happened by I wouldn't piss on him to put him out.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed May 23, 2018 1:32 pm

I totally hated Oliver North. And supported my republican senator, John Warner, who was totally against him when he ran for VA senate in 1994.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/1994/02/10/s ... f2c8d94db4dc
I am a lifelong liberal Democrat and, considering the work of the conservatives and Republicans, likely to remain so. But I must send three heartfelt cheers to Sen. John Warner of Virginia for showing just the kind of integrity and courage we keep saying we want in our elected officials.

Three boos to the Virginia Republican officials who chided Sen. Warner for his honest concern in standing up to Oliver North's outrageous and insulting candidacy {"Warner's Criticism of North Galls GOP Faithful," Metro, Jan. 23}.

[more at the link]
Thus wrote SUSAN N. WIENER Gaithersburg in a letter to the editor. It's exactly how I felt.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri May 25, 2018 2:20 pm

I remember Iran/Contra. He's a dirty schemer.

GPIG

Post   » Fri May 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Me too Bookfan, I think I was in 6th grade, Catholic School and had my mother for a teacher. She allowed those of us interested to go to a seperate room to listen to the hearings on radio only. Trying to give us current events while at the same time a lesson of how not that long ago people extrapolated information from radio. We had to write regular reports and my overwhelming take on Ollie was exactly what you wrote, he was a schemer, a polished bullshiter and I believe I wrote precisely that. I was admonished but also given a wink wink and an atta boy.

My mom was a really good teacher.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sat May 26, 2018 10:41 am

OMG! You're just a young sprout!!

GPIG

Post   » Sat May 26, 2018 2:59 pm

I wish I felt a little younger! Actually I was in 8th grade when I had my Mom, not much older though

While clearing out my mothers house a few years ago I came across many of my papers from when I was in jr high. I also found my trophy and citation from winning the New Jersey Scholastic Olympics for History. Tooting my own horn here a bit!!. The essay portion of test was worth 50% of score and the topic was the importance of the Unterseeboot (UBoat) in World War I, kind of unfair to the other kids I think, but I'll take it!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 pm

It really is a trip looking at old papers you did in grade school. I liked drawing and some of the illustrations were fun.

Erinspigs

Post   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 am

Lynx, I think you should post some of your illustrations!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 am

Would take a while to find some. But they're there, somewhere! Perhaps I will stumble upon them one day ;-)

333 posts