2016 US Presidential Elections - who do you side with?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:14 am

:-D

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:39 pm

I found this article about Hillary Clinton's time as student body president in college to be very interesting.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:21 pm

Going to sleep soon but hope to read it tomorrow.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:38 am

Great article!

I ran across this devastating article asking why Trumps recent hate speech did not completely disqualify him.

http://api.talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/trump-s-blood-libel-press-failure

The closing:
By any reasonable standard, Donald Trump's speech on Wednesday night should have ended the campaign, as should numerous other rallies where Trump has done more or less the same thing for months. There's a reason why the worst of the worst, the organized and avowed racists, were thrilled and almost giddy watching the spectacle. But it has become normalized. We do not even see it for what it is. It's like we've all been cast under a spell. That normalization will be with us long after this particular demagogue, Donald Trump, has left the stage. Call this what it is: it is hate speech, in its deepest and most dangerous form.

It is a powerful and compelling piece.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:25 pm

This whole election is getting worrisome.

I think Clinton could beat Trump, hands down, if he were the only one she were running against. But whether she can beat Trump, Assange, the Russians, Congress and the FBI is the big question.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:37 am

And the flipping press. They commit malfeasance every damn day.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Totally. So many people are pointing this out. It's like they can't help themselves and try to do "false equivalency". Like Hillary documents all the racist things Trump has said and done and Trump (with nothing to support his statement) calls her a racist.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:36 am

Here is an Atlantic article about sexism/misogyny as it applies to the election: Fear of a Female President.

American culture is pretty messed up (the swag at the Republican convention is enough to send me into a rage or deep depression). WTF is wrong with people?

sef1268

Post   » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:18 pm

I made the mistake of signing up to do phone polling to gauge if Democratic candidates Evan Bayh (for Senate) and John Gregg (for Governor) are getting any traction in this district. After less than a half hour of calling people, I had to quit. The level of hostility was surprising and upsetting, with one woman yelling at me, "I'M A REPUBLICAN AND I HOPE YOU PEOPLE LOSE BIG-TIME!" Where the hell is all of this anger and hatred coming from?

It truly feels like the country has collectively lost its frigging mind.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:32 pm

There surely is a lot of hate. I have to admit, I don't like taking political calls.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:58 am

Thanks for taking that on, sef.

sef1268

Post   » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:10 am

I don't like taking political calls, either, but I've never been outright rude to anyone. I generally just politely decline.

I just really have a hard time dealing with that level of not only hostility but stupidity.

GPIG

Post   » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:23 pm

" It truly feels like the country has collectively lost its frigging mind."

It does indeed. Sometimes while driving, I listen to left or right leaning stations complete with political banter and corresponding phone calls from the “public”. The cynic in me starts to feel amused.

I then remember I am a patriot and there is nothing funny or even mildly amusing about this election, or any of the other elections. How we select, campaign and elect candidates or office is truly disturbing.

I used to say as a nation we reached the summit several decades ago and have been on our way down the other side of the mountain. I’m now adding we are gathering momentum and headed down like an avalanche.

piggypie

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:06 pm

Not sure if you care but from an outside perspective, it seems like y'all are imploding.

I'm not sure why Hillary having pneumonia is such a huge deal. Will it really prevent her from being able to do the job in a few months?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:32 pm

Hillary's having pneumonia is a big deal only to the Republican smear machine. We've had presidents with far worse conditions and no sign of such a silly uproar.

I do think we're imploding, though. I think the right wing has unleashed such a tidal wave of hatred and incivility and uncooperativeness that we'll never get over it.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:11 pm

All those deplorables...

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:25 pm

We're about 6 weeks away from the election, right? I'm so worried. No matter who wins, there's going to be such a explosion from the haters. . .

And I don't even want to think about what kind of scandal is going to erupt around the election itself. . .

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:58 pm

I agree with you, jacqueline.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:59 pm

I actually cannot believe anyone would vote for Trump. He is taking people for a ride! Oh, and the press is so angry with him for his "news briefing" that was essentially just selling his new hotel and a one paragraph statement saying Obama was born in the US. News coverage showed righteous anger from members of the black community (it should be from all of us!).

Oh, someone slipped in and took lots of pics of all the imported-from-china products in the new hotel.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:27 pm

The largest police union in the country just endorsed Trump.

453 posts