2016 US Presidential Elections - who do you side with?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:02 am

I am speechless.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:20 am

I still don't understand any of this. How did we get HERE?? We're the laughing stock of the world. . .

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:29 am

I'm not so sure the world is laughing. I think it's probably gasping in horror and dread.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:42 pm

Yeah, not so much laughing, I expect.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Yes, not laughing, but shrieking I suppose. . .

SardonicSmile

Post   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:07 pm

It is scary to think that someone like Trump can become president.
We have an [removed] that might just come out on top in our upcoming elections, but we are a small country. The people of the country will suffer, but we cannot drag the rest of the world with us. The US can.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:20 pm

piggypie, I read about that. If it was done right and the had a 100% match (full name, including middle, and social security number, etc.) it would be fair. That it is being used to throw poorly matched people off the voting roles is unconscionable.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:20 am

That Rolling Stone article is scary as hell. Basically, it sounds like the GOP is making lists of common names and refusing to verify that these voters are, in fact, the same, including ignoring mis-matches, even glaring mis-matches like SSN, and then keeping those lists secret so nobody can verify whether they are accurate or not.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:15 am

Yes, the "secret" part of it so stinks! Throw people off, they don't know, they can't sort it out. So wrong!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:24 am

Great Aljazeera video, "We speak to a panel of Trump biographers, authors and journalists to discover what motivates him and his supporters."

Trump is not pretty.

http://video.aljazeera.com/channels/eng/videos/who-is-the-re ... 128627306001

sef1268

Post   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:03 pm

I'm not sure why Hillary having pneumonia is such a huge deal.
Can't remember who wrote this, but to paraphrase: What was wrong with Hillary can be fixed. Trump, on the other hand...

tashab

Post   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:15 pm

As someone in the rest of the world, laughing is not a word I would use to describe opinions on what is happening. Horrified would be a good word.

GPIG

Post   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:47 pm

Around the time of the US financial meltdown I remember seeing a few non American comedians making jokes about US and our economic predicament. Ricky Gervais, who I love, had a good joke he was working into his routines about America now being a third world country.

The domino effect of the crisis hadn't yet hit other countries, it was still very new. Very quickly however, other countries began to realize if the American economy tanks, so will theirs, and they did.

Our debt around the world is so great that if we default the world economy will collapse, fast. People can think we're overreacting or imploding , etc but for the most part, as we go, you go. It's just that way, not by accident in my opinion.

America realizes we are not just in a slump, our economy is still precarious. Wall Street and Bank bottom lines have shored up and look good but what we as common citizens know, good paying jobs have not come back. The widening of upper class and middle class is all but eliminating a middle class and the poor are getting poorer and treated worse by the day.

We barely manufacture anything and it is not unusual to have companies with market caps of 20 - 25 billion dollars with only a couple hundred employees. Not good. Companies of that size at one time employed 10's of thousands of workers with good paying jobs, no more.

No, it's not hyperbole. Americans are rightly concerned about this election for many reasons not the least of which are the consequences we we face for living on credit for so long.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:51 am

Our economy has improved tremendously since Bush ran it into the ground. Employment is much improved - though getting more good jobs is paramount.

Income is finally up for everyone (including the poor). The rich certainly saw the largest increase.

Lots of data:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/09/census-bureau-in ... ion-recovery

GPIG

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:34 am

I don't know, I don't see it, maybe it's the pessimist in me. I hear mostly bad in terms of economy from people I talk to.

When it comes to health insurance, I think about 2 or 3 people have told me they have benefitted. Mostly, speaking to people who work at places like grocery stores and used to be able to get by on their job, get a little overtime each month to make ends meet, have almost universally had to take second jobs because their employers, to avoid giving health insurance, have cut almost everyone's hours down to about 30 per week making almost all employees part timers. They didn't have health insurance before, still don't but additionally now they can't make enough money to live.

I find more people out of work for long periods that have just given up, and aren't even looking anymore for anything close to what they used to have for employment.

From the link, that I see and agree with:

"Still, those incomes remained below their pre-recession highs".

Whereas the earnings of the bottom 60 percent of households remain lower today than they were in 2007"

"The bad news, of course: We've got a long way to go to get people at the bottom and in the middle to where they were at the turn of the century."

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:41 am

Obamacare may have it's problems but it's been a life changer for my son.

He injured his knee on the job (construction), and had one surgery for it covered under Workmen's Comp. The surgery did nothing to help and his doctor determined he needed a different type surgery. Workmen's Comp denied the surgery, saying it wouldn't help (even though they hadn't examined him). He couldn't get private health insurance because it was a pre-existing condition. He tried battling Workmen's Comp for years with no luck. Meanwhile, he couldn't even walk around the block without getting major swelling in his knee. It was so sad to watch my son in his 20's not able to walk around the block. And it wasn't easy on his psyche either.

Finally, Obamacare came around. He got the surgery he needed about 5 years before. He took some classes, got his Water Treatment and Distribution licenses, and is now a happily employed taxpayer.

So I think the economics of Obamacare may need some tweaking, but being able to get health insurance when he had no hope of it before was a life saver. And it has created a person who can pay back into the system via taxes, when he couldn't before.

I couldn't get health insurance before either due to have had cancer 15 years earlier, with no recurrences.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:17 pm

I hated that pre-existing condition thing that insurance companies used to deny coverage. Sometimes it was a non-issue type thing for retroactively denying coverage when a person signed up and had something more serious happen to them.

The ACA has definitely been a lifesaver (literally) for many people.

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:26 pm

But here's my UGH super frustration. There is a closed enrollment period. It opens up for a couple of months at the end of the year. And if you're informed enough, you can enroll if you have a life changing event, but that's along time limited (90 days I believe)

So, I didn't know about the life changing event enrollment period of 90 days (how was I supposed to know about that?!), and when I got on line to enroll, it was too late. I have been without health insurance now for the entire year. I hope I can avoid penalties. . . .

I don't understand why there has to be a time limited enrollment period.

Also, from what I've been able to glean, mental health coverage is still really poor to non-existent.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Piggiepie - thanks for posting that Rolling Stone article. I'll be working at the polls on election day in voter Protection. (A Democratic party program to keep voters in minority or working class neighborhoods from being intimidated by Republican "poll watchers"). I've done it for the past several elections. This is the first year I am a little afraid, because of how crazy some of the Trump supporters seem to be. I didn't know about eliminating people from voting lists, it shows what we are up against.

I went to a get out the vote event that featured Madeleine Albright. She still travels the world and meets with many people. She said that one of the questions she gets everywhere she goes is about our election and Trump with some variation of "have you Americans lost your minds?"

GPIG - Even before Obamacare, I heard that companies were favoring part time jobs to avoid giving benefits. I suppose they give benefits to management staff and by keeping hourly employees part time, they avoid extending those benefits to the hourly workers. Maybe Obamacare has made it worse, but that problem was already there before it.

453 posts