2016 US Presidential Elections - who do you side with?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:02 am

Thing is, it is not pro-abortion. It is pro-choice. Allowing this important decision that a very very few people may find themselves in a position to consider, to be a personal decision, not dictated by someone else's religious beliefs.

This is part of what I sent to my Catholic brother (what was not copied is the link I posted above):

... And a must read article about the pope, who has said there has been too much focus on abortion.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/28/pope-fr ... ty-catholics

"...Francis – who declared in his first interview as pope that the church had been too “obsessed” with abortion – came when he spoke to Congress about the need for “absolute respect for life in all its stages and dimensions”."

I don't know anyone who thinks abortion is the best choice - when prevention is so much better.

And here's another excellent article:
http://www.newsweek.com/why-pope-francis-makes-republicans-squirm-374135 I fully believe Bernie is most in tune with the loving spirit of the Pope, whom he admires so much.

The pope is right to change the convers[ation]. There is so much more in life than being a one-issue voter.

Sent with love and caring from your sister, Lyn.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:53 am

I'll go back & read all interesting links later. Meanwhile, I hope Trump will prove unelectable in the general election. But you Canadians might want to start building your fence now, 'cause if he's pres. there will be a huge wave of Americans trying to get across the border. And be sure and charge us for the fence.

My sister & I are considering voting on the Republican ticket in our primary. Idea is to give our votes to someone other than Trump. But I certainly don't want to vote for anyone who could beat the Dem. candidate. Maybe Kasich, but I'll bet he'll drop out by then.

Hilary will certainly win here, but we're not sure how delegates are allocated - winner take all or what. My sister will figure it out.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:25 am

" Once they force a birth, it's hands off and you're on your own (pulling support for people who can't afford it)"

Yes, yes, yes!

The Guardian article about the Pope is super.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:30 pm

Vote for Bernie! Don't waste a vote on the Republicans. They will fight it out. But we have a chance to make change!

GPIG

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:52 pm

Wish it wasn't so but Bernie doesn't have a chance. The super delegates all but have Hilary nominated. Bernie can't get together a fraction of the money that will be needed, and that sucks, that it's so much about money.

Each day Trump is gaining momentum. Hillary looks like a deer caught in headlights. Bernie seems to just be wondeinrg if Wendesday night is still Bingo night once he gts back home. The Trump machine can't but stopped, i'm afraid.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:24 am

The delegate situation is a mess. Some states have winner-take-all, others prorate according to the popular vote, some have superdelegates, some don't. It's a huge cluster****.

I think we need federal laws that require prorating according to the popular vote. That would have saved us the GWB fiasco, and is the only fair way to allocate delegates, IMO.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:21 am

That would require an amendment to the constitution, not just federal laws.

Sometimes I can wrap my head around it and fully understand, other times like now, not so much but basically we are not a pure democracy, we have a democratic form of Government but we are constitutional republic.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:36 am

Don't give up on Bernie yet! He's our only hope for real change!! Don't buy the media hype that Hillary is a lock.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:21 am

"not dictated by someone else's religious beliefs"

Exactly, Lynx.

Has anyone been following the shenanigans in TX with regard to abortion clinics? Article about it here from NPR:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/03/04/46909434 ... ew-playbooks

This has already happened in MO. There is only one clinic left in the state. Story from The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/22/missouri-abortion-st-louis-planned-parenthood

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:59 pm

It is a crime what they have done to these women's health clinics! (they do so much more than abortions - they do all they can to prevent people from having unwanted pregnancies - Planned Parenthood is not called Planned Parenthood for nothing)

Wheekers3

Post   » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:44 pm

Yes, I've been very frustrated with those decisions. In about 5 years when we have about a bazillion kids no one wants to / or aren't emotionally or financially able to care for are glutting the system, they may revisit that decision.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Well, we also have the new threat of zika. Here is a pretty non-sensational article from PBS newshour. There is a mess. Lack of contraception. Lack of pre-natal medical care. Lack of access to abortion. Lack of care for disabled children.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:28 am

A potential disaster.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:46 am

Has anyone been keeping up with Democracy Springs/ Democracy Awakens?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:29 am

Yeah, I've been watching. Can't figure out why those people are being arrested as it looks like a pretty peaceful protest to me.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:53 pm

I ran across the best-est explanation of how we have lost our democracy! Have not yet watched the Ted video:
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/4/17/1515189/-Democracy-makes-the-news-in-America

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:22 pm

Really interesting read, Lynx.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:15 pm

It makes a lot of sense and puts things in a historical context.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:31 am

Interesting article. As usual, follow the money.

meganmarie

Post   » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:30 am

I'm so nervous for the caucus tonight. I hope Bernie takes the win! There are a TON of delegates in New York.

453 posts