Guns

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:49 am

Erinspigs, awesome!! Annapolis here you come!! :-) :-)

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:52 pm

Say hello to GPIGS for me!

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:44 am

I'm going to give it everything I've got Talishan, thanks for believing in me.

I'll do my Girl Scout Gold Award. People don't realize, it’s every bit as hard as the Boy Scout Eagle Scout and is excepted as same accomplishment for girls. If I can set one state record in hurdles or get close, make all county hockey, improve my GPA, with some honors courses and real good SAT (and I will – my brother is helping me, we’re becoming buds now) they can't keep me out!! Letter shouldn’t be a problem.

I have a t-shirt a well know boxer (who people think is a scoundrel – he’s not, he’s a big softy and cried in children’s wing of hospital when he visited everyone) signed for me. Signed for me after talking to me it says, Erin – HARD WORK, then his name. I look at it every morning before I run.

I will Jacqueline, I’m telling him to write.

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:08 am

In the field there's a well-known saying, "the best indicator of future behaviors are past actions."

All you need to do, if you ever run low on hope, is look at all you've already accomplished. With all you've already done, you've created quite a lot of momentum. You're personal trajectory is pretty intense. Just don't forget us little people when you've made it big in your life. ;-)

And by the way, I got the Girl Scout Gold Award. Back then they called it "First Class Girl Scout". And yeah, it took ALOT of hard work and focus.

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:58 am

Congratulations Jacqueline, for your Gold Award - never too late to congratulate, I don't think. I know you've accomplished so many other great things as well, you should be proud of all of them, we're proud of you.

So it is very hard, isn't it, the Gold Award? Everyone says that and I'm surprised that so many people kind of pooh pooh it because it's only "girls" and we can't be as tough as the boys. Huh!

Did you save your vest, or sash?

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:50 pm

We'll have to compare our sashes Erin. Yup, I still have mine, filled up the back with badges. . .

And thanks for the congrats. We'll be each others fan club!

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Cool Jacqueline, whatever you do, your sash has to be included in the move to your new place. No downsizing of accomplishments!!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:45 pm

Forget who said it. It's trite but true: "Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration."

Carry on. Don't give up. No matter what. You'll get there.

Erinspigs

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:53 pm

One last thing that I wanted to say about guns that should go without saying but... Even though guns were in our house when we were little kids and we were taught to respect them, they were always locked with multiple locks (combination and key on safe with separate gun locks in action - those keys were locked in another safe with different combination and keys).

Ammunition was always stored separately in different safes also with multiple locks. We weren't allowed to tell friends there were guns in house, so they wouldn't be "curious"

Just wanted to say that; no mater a person's position on guns, if they are around there can't be too much safety.
Plus the old man saw this thread and said where's the part about safety?

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:00 pm

I never want to have ideas about anything i can't change when presented with common sense.
Erinspigs, right there you've shown that you've got more common sense than most people will ever have!

I don't like or understand the stereotypical guns-for-self-defense mindset--I think the Second Amendment has been totally misinterpreted--but your family has my respect for emphasizing safety.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:16 pm

Ditto. It seems you all are doing many right things.

There's a website I visit with one member who periodically posts deaths by gun (and injuries). So many children killed. So many tragic accidents. Guns are lethal. They should be completely secured to prevent theft and accident.

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:43 pm

I've only come across this post recently. I'd like to attempt to throw my 2 cents in.

We(my family) lives in Western Pennsylvania. We come from a long line of coal workers. My father even dropped out of school in 9th grade to help his family with money, working in coal mines, and as a general laborer. While my mothers side of the family is all white collar, My father's side is blue. We grew up hunting, fishing, and trapping for food with my father. It has been a huge part of our heritage(hunting, trapping, ect.).If we didn't, we wouldn't have had food at his house. I understand why people say that they should have better gun laws, or be more cautious about who they give them to. But when people think about guns, people usually think about Columbine, or the Theatre shootings. Not honest, hardworking people, lugging themselves into the woods at 4 in the morning, hoping to get those few deer, so that they can financially put food on the table for their families. My father taught me to always respect an animal, if you take it's life, never let anything go to waste. Treat it's body with the utmost respect. And never take forgranted that it's body is going to give you nourishment. My father's had the same gun for the last 10 years. My brother's had his since he was of age. I've had mine since i was 16. Guns mean a different think where i live; they do mean security, but for the means of your family and being able to feed yourselves for another year. I hate gun politics, and i feel as if i'm not qualified to talk about such things. But i do wish people would see the other side of guns. But, like most things kids do not understand today(and i'm 21) is that you should have a healthy fear of most things. Guns are powerful, and can take someone's life. They are not to be messed with.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:56 pm

meganmarie, knowing how to use a gun to feed your family is a completely different situation from obsessing about guns as a symbol of (some kind of) freedom that shouldn't be regulated in any but the most minimal ways. Unfortunately, folks in the second group, although I'm sure in the minority, are completely dominating the conversation.

As a means of security: I'm not going to dig up statistics, but for every intruder deterred, there are orders of magnitude more innocent people hurt by guns.

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:08 pm

I just feel that everyone is saying 'all guns are bad! People should not have guns!'and i don't believe that's the case. It's people who are irresponsible, or who want to do harm, that we should be looking at. I guess i was just trying to show that not everyone who has guns have it for intent to take up arms. I'm not trying to say there shouldn't be different, stronger laws surrounding them. I've even been berated for saying I go hunting, because people didn't believe i should even HAVE a gun.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:14 pm

I don't think you have been reading the discussion very closely, meganmarie.

I don't understand your comments.

I am happy a couple of my neighbors have guns. We have bear around here! There are certainly appropriate ways to use them, to store them, and to be responsible gun owners.

Not everyone falls into that category.

I hope you are not afraid if some common sense laws (comprehensive background checks, for example) to weed out at least some of the people who should not have guns are put into place.

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:22 pm

I have trouble getting my thoughts and putting them to 'paper'. I can see that my thoughts aren't transferring over as i want them to. I'm trying to talk about things that i've had recently happen to me on the topic of gun control, and how other people have come to me saying that no one in the USA should even have guns. I was just telling that part of it. I was also trying to get the point across of what you said, Lynx, that there are times to keep and have guns. I was just trying to put my thoughts out as well. I do believe that it should be a lot A LOT harder to get your hands on guns. I do agree with the background checks. I just...was trying to have another angle on this conversation. I didn't mean to make issues.

Erinspigs

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:41 pm

I sometimes have the same problem getting my thoughts to translate meganmarie!!

I understand how you run up against some people who just hate guns. I don't try to debate them, nothing I say will change their mind and to try is a waste of my time. But it is their right to feel the way they do and express themselves. I adore the second amendment but I love the first.

Everyone here was respectful of my opinion on gun control and there are a few of us who feel the same way. I think most of us can even find some common ground.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:50 pm

What I do hate is irresponsible use of guns. Bullets can carry a very long way! Virginia, I was surprised to find (maybe it's in this post), bans celebratory shooting. You don't know where that bullet is going to land and it could kill someone. After a death in Virginia (a very republican state), that law passed with strong consequences.

In the same way, I think target shooting in or near subdivisions is dangerous. Bullets don't always do what you intend them to do. But find a relatively safe location where bullets can't travel to populated areas and it isn't a danger to other people.

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:06 pm

yes, yes, yes! That's what i was trying to say! I just did a big sigh of relief. thank you, Erinspigs. : )

And i agree with you too, Lynx. I don't believe over half of the people(or more) that do have guns should have them. They don't respect guns, and what they can do, or even have an idea of safety with a gun.

I also heard of a story of people shooting off celebritory shots, in a town. They shot in the air(i believe it was the 4th of july) the bullet came down, and actually killed a person who was bbqing in the same small town.

Erinspigs

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:24 pm

The celebratory shooting in the air is the one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in my life. Thankfully I only saw it on the news.

The very first rule of gun safety? Know your target and beyond.

299 posts